17 day diet

So I had a friend do this diet with much success and I have to say that carbs really are not my friend b/c I choose the wrong ones. So I am hoping that this will wean me from my bad carb choices once and for all. No carbs for 17 days should make brown rice seem AWESOME once I get to the cycle that lets me have it!! I can live without bread for 17 days! I think I can I think I can I think I can!

Day one is half way in the books and I am not starving! However, my hardest part of the day is late afternoon so that will be my true test!!

Anyone out there doing this or did this with success? Any helpful hints or foods that are awesome that I should try!?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    I've never heard of this... but I AM definitely trying to cut out bread and carbs from my diet. What is the 17 day diet?
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    how long ago did your friend do this & did she keep the weight off? Typically these diets are too short a time frame to form any longstanding habits & the weight comes back. I would recommend instead of doing a '17 day diet'... why not just wean yourself slowly off carbs? I'm just asking.... LOL
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    how long ago did your friend do this & did she keep the weight off? Typically these diets are too short a time frame to form any longstanding habits & the weight comes back. I would recommend instead of doing a '17 day diet'... why not just wean yourself slowly off carbs? I'm just asking.... LOL
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    The 17 Day Diet is what helped jump start me on my journey to eating more healthy. I bought a treadmill in March, and... started with Phase I of the Diet. I made it thru Cycle 1 and Cycle 2.... then the "lifestyle change" kinda just kicked in automatically. After the first 17 days, I found I did NOT crave the sweets and carbs like I used to. And now... I don't eat them all that often. I think I was down 12-13 pounds in 4 weeks. But... I was sedentary then, and not eating right at all, so... I know I was bound to lose some weight in the beginning of my journey anyway... 17 day diet or not.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I've never heard of this... but I AM definitely trying to cut out bread and carbs from my diet. What is the 17 day diet?

It sounds like what you're actually supposed to do with Atkins. You start off with no carbs for like three weeks, then start reintroducing them back in (most people don't realize that, though, because it was all hyped up to be "no carbs").
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    I saw this on Dr.Oz andi mmediately bought the book......I think I made it to Day 4 without carbs and I was starving!!! I was fine in the morning but around 2 or 3 I was gnawingly hungry! Nothing filled up my belly not even protein the minute I ate some brown bread or cereal I was fine....I havent tried again but the people on the show appeared to get good results, if you can find something for that "afternoon hunger"
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    I tried it for like five days then just kind of took some tips from the book However a coworker of mine did it and followed it for all 3 first cycles and did it for another time around which totaled btween the two rounds she did of 16 weeks and lost 55 lbs that was january-april and won our work biggest loser and has kept it off following cycle 4 in the book which is the maintenance phase where you pretty much eat anything at this point in moderation
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    I am not sure what all the 17 day allows but a good way to fight carb cravings in the evenings is a scoop of low carb whey protein powder, I use the chocolate flavored and stretch it with ice and blend til like a smoothie YUM! You might even find you do not want the brown rice at all when you are done. I've been living without all of it except the occasional potato or corn tortilla for 2 years and when I stray my body really complains! Good luck you will feel better and your body will thank you hang in there!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Why not have everything in moderation as MFP suggests...there are no quick fix diets or pills, we are all on a lifelstyle change and a journey to improve our eating habits. I have tried numberous `silly` diets such as fat loss for idiots and goined weight. Atkins, bad!

My advice, if you are interested is stick with eat less, exercise more. It is the only way, slowly but surely!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    There's a great thread that I'm on, we're all at different cycles on this diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279777-the-17-day-diet

Also I've been writing a daily blog, however I'm a few days behind right now! But go to the archives of my blog and read from the beginning. One of my favorite posts was on June 28... explains why this diet is a good fit for me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Iceskatefanrn

I love this "diet", and wish I had time to explain more about it. Will try to get back to you tonight when I'm at home.

:drinker:

Ice
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    t is a book called The 17 Day Diet and it is written by a doctor. The idea behind it is 4 17 day cycles. The first one is designed to jump start your weight loss so that you feel successful (that is the hardest part for me). And then the next three cycles are designed to add good carbs back in.

I have tried Weight Watchers and it gave me WAY too much carb freedom so it did not work for me. I have tried just going by calories but I always go for the crackers when it is snack time! I have also gone carb free and lost weight but went back to eating the bad carbs and gained some weight back. I like the bad carbs...crackers, chips etc so my hope is that with the carb restriction the first 17 days will make me thankful for the good carbs I get to add in in the later cycles. My lifestyle change needs to be a carb restrictive diet b/c I know without a doubt it is what puts the weight on me so I hope this will make me like the healthy carbs vs the stuff I crave!

The way I see it is what I was doing was not working so I need to find something that does. Everybody responds differently to different kinds of foods and sometimes it takes some experimenting to find the right fit. I know how to eat I just don't always make the best choices so if buying a book that gives me a guide and motivation to successful weightloss then I am all for it!

My friend has kept her weight off for several months and is enjoying her new healthly carb lifestyle!

PS...the book was very informative. I learned some stuff I didn't all ready know.
  • ohthatbambi
    Why not have everything in moderation as MFP suggests...there are no quick fix diets or pills, we are all on a lifelstyle change and a journey to improve our eating habits. I have tried numberous `silly` diets such as fat loss for idiots and goined weight. Atkins, bad!

My advice, if you are interested is stick with eat less, exercise more. It is the only way, slowly but surely!

I cycle 100 + miles a week and walk about 15 so I do the exercise. Your body might treat carbs and protein the same way, but that does not mean mine does. I have been on this website for for several years now and know that not every diet works for every person. I have done the eating back my calories etc and it does not work for me. So I am thrilled that you can eat everything in moderation but my body does not allow me to do that. While I appreciate your advice, I think I will evaluate my body and what works for it!! Sorry if that sounds snippy but not all bodies are alike and not all eating habits work the same for each person.

All that said, if there are people out there who are doing this diet and have some advice or encouragement I would love to hear from you.
  • ohthatbambi
    There's a great thread that I'm on, we're all at different cycles on this diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279777-the-17-day-diet

Also I've been writing a daily blog, however I'm a few days behind right now! But go to the archives of my blog and read from the beginning. One of my favorite posts was on June 28... explains why this diet is a good fit for me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Iceskatefanrn

I love this "diet", and wish I had time to explain more about it. Will try to get back to you tonight when I'm at home.

:drinker:

Ice

Thank you for sharing!
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    My sista and myself have done the 17 day diet. The results were great. I didn't get a chance to get to faze 2 because my church started a fast so we had to stop. I have not gotten back to it yet but, I think I will. I loved it and it really does work if you do what it says. Good luck and my your journey be graceful and stress free.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    I am R2 C3 D3 right now and have lost 25 pounds. I have NEVER been a person to go on a "diet" ,I did try WW some time ago but I did not do well, as I would just use the points on junk. I decided after seeing The 17 day Diet on Dr.Phil and The Doctors show, and seeing that they both found this plan to be well balanced and healthy...teaching us how to eat well...I thought why not try? I cannot believe I have been on this for eighty some days now! I have noticed far more energy, far less bloating and gas! It was important to me learn to eat healthy.his program really does teach you how to eat well.
  • ohthatbambi
    I am R2 C3 D3 right now and have lost 25 pounds. I have NEVER been a person to go on a "diet" ,I did try WW some time ago but I did not do well, as I would just use the points on junk. I decided after seeing The 17 day Diet on Dr.Phil and The Doctors show, and seeing that they both found this plan to be well balanced and healthy...teaching us how to eat well...I thought why not try? I cannot believe I have been on this for eighty some days now! I have noticed far more energy, far less bloating and gas! It was important to me learn to eat healthy.his program really does teach you how to eat well.

Congrats on the 25 lbs! Keep up the good work! This diet encourages good food and really gives you no choice but to eat the stuff or be hungry! My broccoli sure was yummy tonight and I am pretty sure it would not have been on my menu without this plan!!