How did you decide on your goal weight?

Options
I don't know how to determine a good goal weight. At the start of last year I was 52kg and was happy enough at that but I think i'm gaining muscle so should I increase my goal weight?
I'm currently 59.4kg and my waist is 69.5cm but over the period when i was gaining weight I had the same waist measurement at 58kg.

Replies

• mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I took my body fat percentage to figure my lean body mass, then added my goal body fat percentage to my lean mass to get my goal weight...
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is in the range of 110-120. It would mean I'd have a healthy BMI for my height of 5'4. Though once I get close to that weight, I'll see how I'm feeling and whether or not that goal is realistic.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I know when I looked and felt the best - for me it was 118 with a fair amount of muscle. That is my ultimate goal, although I'd be content at 125.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is in the range of 110-120. It would mean I'd have a healthy BMI for my height of 5'4. Though once I get close to that weight, I'll see how I'm feeling and whether or not that goal is realistic.

This is a good method. I personally figure out what is the highest acceptable healthy weight for my height. Given I'm 5' 8" a BMI of 25 would be around 72kg (159lbs). Then as you get 2-3kg within that range focus more on BF%.

If you are female you prob want to be a little lighter so for someone 5' 8" probably a BMI of 22.5 or 65kg (143lbs). Again once you get close to that weight again focus on lowering %bf
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on my BMI. Look up BMI on the internet. It will calculate what a healthy weight is based on your height. A healthy/normal weight for me is considered 170 and I'm 5/10. So far that's my goal weight. But once I get 185 I will see if I want to go lower. Hope this helps!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Mine is based on my BMI and ideal weight. It was actually a tiny bit higher, but I went ahead and bumped it down another 8 lbs or so so I could have a cool 100 lbs of weight loss in the end. lol
  • brvanover
    Options
    I just picked a number in the middle of the recommended weight range for my age/height!
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I estimated how much lean mass I had and figured out how much BF% I wanted and ended up with 190 as my target weight.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and have a BMI of 21.8 but I want to get a more athletic look. I think I'll have a look at body fat percentage.
    Does anyone know what a good body fat percentage would be for a toned female?
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    I discussed it with my doctor...I don't need to be skinny; I just want to be healthier...I feel if I try to get to the BMI that is suggested I would constantly struggle to maintain, I hope I have settled with an attainable and mainainable weight goal that I can live with the rest of my life...I am a foodie I am going to eat well...
  • cranda58
    cranda58 Posts: 11
    Options
    My suggestion is to just kinda guess to begin with, and once you are closer to that number you'll be able to more accurately decide if that number is where you want to be or if it needs to be adjusted :)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    BMI does not take into account bone and muscle mass so it's not the best formula to base your goal weight on. Ideally one should look at the healthy range of body fat and aim for that number and not be so hung up on the number on the scale.

My goal weight was 118 and while I hit that weight, I look better today at 122 with lower body fat. I have never used BMI to calculate my ideal weight.

According to BMI standards, the following celebrities are considered overweight: Tom Cruise (BMI 26), George Clooney (BMI 29), Mark McGuire (BMI 30) and President George W. Bush (BMI 26). And surprisingly, Arnold Schwarzenegger (BMI 33), Sylvester Stallone (BMI 34) and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (BMI 33) are all considered obese!
  • kjpollard
    Options
    I shot for the middle of my range. We'll see how it looks when I get there. :) I figured I'd try to stick to the middle. I have a larger frame, broad shoulders, etc, so I'll never be a beanpole. :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    @ 6'3 and a medium/large frame, I felt my recommended weight was a little lower than what I actually want for myself. I want to be 265lbs with a fair amount of muscle. This # also represents the heavyweight limit in mma(UFC type fighting for those that don't know.)
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Simple. It's the weight I was at 17 and looking my best. It's also absolutely perfectly mid BMI for me. I can't wait to be 130 again..,
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and the BMI calculator told me I could be anywhere between 129 and 169. Currently I sit at 156.. and my goal for right now is 150. I may re-assess and go down to 140-145, but 150 is smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI for my height.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Double Post :)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and have a BMI of 21.8 but I want to get a more athletic look. I think I'll have a look at body fat percentage.

Athletic is under 13%
    Optimal is between 13-20%
    Borderline is 21-25%
    Overweight is 26-32%
    Obese is higher than 32%
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

This should give you a idea http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • Cmon78
    Cmon78 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I checked my BMI and then just picked a number that I thought I would be happy at. I am not set on that number though. Once I get close to it I will see how I feel and go from there.