Great Days, Unsuccessful Evenings

Options
Does anybody else do really good during the day but get home and over eat?
Yeah me too. Help?? Support?? Life advice?? lol I have no idea. I've been trying to lose weight since 8th grade. Lately I noticed that even my face is round and it's ruining my selfies ( I know, I'm such a vain millenial ). Anyways, I want to shop at H&M and get hit on at parks or just get hit on at all without thinking it's some big joke. I'd like to wear yoga pants without my butt jiggling. It'd be nice to be able to share my friend's clothes. Have healthy skin, kidneys, and a healthy mindset. Anyways. Looking for support and stuff.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you save for the night?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat until about 1pm.

I'm an evening eater.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else do really good during the day but get home and over eat?
    Yeah me too. Help?? Support?? Life advice?? lol I have no idea. I've been trying to lose weight since 8th grade. Lately I noticed that even my face is round and it's ruining my selfies ( I know, I'm such a vain millenial ). Anyways, I want to shop at H&M and get hit on at parks or just get hit on at all without thinking it's some big joke. I'd like to wear yoga pants without my butt jiggling. It'd be nice to be able to share my friend's clothes. Have healthy skin, kidneys, and a healthy mindset. Anyways. Looking for support and stuff.

How old are you?
  • jenniferc933
    jenniferc933 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are not alone - afternoons are the hardest part of the day for me too. The only thing I can suggest is "slow and steady" - not all afternoons will be the same, some good, some bad. If I get the munchies because I'm bored - I allow myself a few crackers and even a wine because it makes me feel nice but I always add the items to my list - no use cheating and then I feel responsible the next morning, that I allowed myself a treat. To abstain totally, only makes the situation worse when you are feeling a bit down or bored (as long as I recognise why I treat myself)?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your day isn't great if you "do really good" and then eat, and end up net overeating.

But maybe you're not really overeating. Most kids think they are too heavy, regardless of weight. What's your height and weight, and how old are you?

A healthy mindset is not just about "eating right", it's about enjoying food and life and being happy in one's own body. You are wonderful. Think about the amazing things your body and brain can do.
  • clairekugler
    clairekugler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1) I save about 500-600 calories. A big chunk!
    2) I can't wait to eat until one because at my job you go on break about 3.5hrs into the shift. I work fast food and can't switch around my meal time.
    3) I always track everything I eat no matter what
    4) I mean harsh but true I guess the day isn't really great but I had a good mood until I log my calories. I'm 20, 5"9, and 234lbs. Definitely chubby- not a wrongful frame of mind. Thanks for the support!
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Do you pre-log? for the day or even for the meal it helps me a lot to log first and then decide if that's really want I want to eat. I almost can't eat without logging it first now, it just became a habit after a while.
  • clairekugler
    Options
    Do you pre-log? for the day or even for the meal it helps me a lot to log first and then decide if that's really want I want to eat. I almost can't eat without logging it first now, it just became a habit after a while.
    Yes I pre log :( it's just hard to for dinner because my mom prepares the meals and I eat the leftovers
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ...in the beginning, it's hard because you're used to snacking. But once you get used to it, it just is what it is. I think my own night time eating would have been associated with boredom and the desire to 'relax'. Perhaps consider what yours may be associated with...

Very helpful thoughts, @danika2point0 thanks

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Reading about self control and will power, many people experience a depletion if available will power later in the day. You are not alone! Rest or Sleep, meditation, or even a slight amount of sugar (I use frozen peaches) can help boost will power.
  • clairekugler
    Options
    Thanks everybody :)
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I do great during the days, but always ruin my days work in the evenings. I was meal prepping a few weeks ago and was doing well, but fell out of it. Going to try to do it again. Maybe having a dinner meal ready at home could help? My mom lives down the street and likes to make dinner sometimes and I feel bad if I don't eat her food! I have to start kindly declining her delicious, fattening meals.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It is tough in the winter but substitute some eating with an activity. For me instead of hitting the scotch bottle I would drink some water and go for a walk. Well it worked while I was doing it, like I said winter is hard.
  • singularlysarah
    singularlysarah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, but here's what I've tried so far. I am trying to be careful with how I spend my calories throughout the day first of all. Sometimes, I'd have a big breakfast and lunch or eat a big morning snack, and by the time I got to evening, I hardly had anything left except for dinner. I also try to drink plenty of water in the evening. Sometimes, I just want to snack because I'm watching TV or I'm bored, but I'm actually thirsty. If I'm still hungry after that, I try to go for low calorie snacks (like veggies and my low-cal dip or popcorn) and try to keep some sort of buffer for that in the evening.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes I pre log :( it's just hard to for dinner because my mom prepares the meals and I eat the leftovers

Honestly, you may need to have a conversation with your mom and dinner could be ruining your progress. Depending on what she's making it can be really easy to go over. As difficult as those conversations are, I now have my family and friends helping me, and I know they won't be offended if I don't eat their food. For example, if my mom is making spaghetti and garlic bread when I come over she will weigh the cheese she puts on it so I'm not getting a tonne of extra calories. When my boyfriend makes stirfry he makes mine and his separate so everything I eat is weighed, when my co-workers go to Starbucks daily for coffee and cookies they've stopped asking me and there is a mutual understanding that I will chat with them on break but I'm not wanting to eat those things.

Also, weigh uour food. It can make a huge difference.

How active are you?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try changing your meal timing. Make lunch your first meal, heavy afternoon snack and big dinners with tons of veggies.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Post a "round-faced selfie" on your refrigerator door and on all the snack packages in your cupboard!

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I save enough calories for the end of the day to do some late night snacking. My go-to is popcorn and a Coke Zero. Plan out your day so you can go crazy after dinner. You'll lose weight once you figure out how to do this
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You might like the thread in challenges "Just say no to late night snacking." Sorry, I can't post a link on my phone but you should be able to find it. It helps me to choose a time to stop eating so I don't derail an otherwise good day.