Customizable running app?

Options
I am newly getting into running and am doing the run-walk-run method. However, running outside and timing can be difficult. Is there an app that will tell you time intervals? MapMyRun (free) will tell you distance and pace, but has no option for time. Ideally, I would like it to play over my music like MMR does.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    C25K. Not sure if it will play with music though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes c25k plays music, or you can use your music player at the same time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Endomondo
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used RunDouble
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something where I can input my desired pace and it'll verbally tell me to speed up or slow down.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I'm looking for something where I can input my desired pace and it'll verbally tell me to speed up or slow down.

It will drive you insane trying to stay at the pace your app tells you (at least it does for me :p ). GPS is not the most accurate when you are running and all sorts of things interfere. I sometimes use my watch for pacing but I keep 2 numbers on the screen - one is current pace (which varies wildly do to the GPS issues) and the other is lap pace (1 mile in my case). The lap pace is much more accurate.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    A Garmin.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    nikkit321 wrote: »

It will drive you insane trying to stay at the pace your app tells you (at least it does for me :p ). GPS is not the most accurate when you are running and all sorts of things interfere. I sometimes use my watch for pacing but I keep 2 numbers on the screen - one is current pace (which varies wildly do to the GPS issues) and the other is lap pace (1 mile in my case). The lap pace is much more accurate.

Truth. Honestly though, if you are still in the run/walk phase you really don't need to worry about pace. Duration is more important for you (that is, the total time you've been walking, running, or both).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jd1360 wrote: »
    I am newly getting into running and am doing the run-walk-run method. However, running outside and timing can be difficult. Is there an app that will tell you time intervals? MapMyRun (free) will tell you distance and pace, but has no option for time. Ideally, I would like it to play over my music like MMR does.

Any suggestions?

There are music podcasts with intervals out there I believe.

Paid version of Endomondo had intervals (and auditory readouts of time/distance/lap pace/etc-you could customize it)..I don't remember if the free version did as well (I used intervals as part of their custom generated training programs back when, with the latter feature (eta: training plans) at least being premium).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper (free) will speak time, distance, pace (avg, current, current split), Hr (if you are using a BT HRM it will tell you avg, current, % max), and probably some other stuff. You can set it to give you all this info in time intervals as frequently as every minute and/or distance intervals (as frequently as 1/4 mile I believe). Not suggesting you NEED all that, only that it can be set up to do that.
  • citygator
    citygator Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I use the Nike Run Club app for about 5 years which is fine but have used MapMyRun too. I set the pace feedback every 1/4 mile so that it is frequent but not maddening. I am no elite runner so I am just looking to keep myself honest.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Runtastic has many settings that can be customized. I have mine call out my pace every mile. I use separate music player but it can play music. It also has run with zombies or monsters but have no idea about the interval thing.