5K Training Question

Options
I'm starting week 3 of C25K and my goal is to complete my first 5K early October. My main goal is to finish the 5K but I'm wondering...should I strive to complete it within a certain time? And if so, what would be a reasonable time frame? Keep in mind, I have NEVER jogged before.

Replies

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    don't get hung up on the time, but a 10-minute mile for your first 5k sounds like a reasonable goal.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    I ran my first 5k with an average of 11 minutes per mile. That was fine by me because it meant I went slow, had a conversation with my boyfriend the entire time, and never walked. I was happy with it for my first. Next time I'll try and go a bit faster
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what a reasonable time is--but what I did was every 2 weeks or so I would do the entire 5k (ran as much as I could...walked the other parts) and timed it. I've been aiming to cut down on that time.
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I finished the C25K about two weeks ago. I didn't reach 5K in that time but the very next run I did was a full 5K but it took me 40 minutes (mind you, I was very happy about it!) This week I did it in 38 minutes. I am doing a 5K race in September and I don't expect to do it in 30 minutes (which is my goal). I am planning to gradually increase my speed. I don't know how long it will take to do that but if I do the September race between 35 and 40 minutes, I'll be satisfied I think.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about a time the first time you do any distance. Just enjoy it. Next time... next time, because you know how it will feel... kick the race's butt.
  • knelson827
    knelson827 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to know your training plan to this 5K, but it is likely that you can lay something out with regular mileage and get there pretty reliably. You need to build yourself up to running each incremental distance, like 1/2 mile, 1, 1-1/2, etc. There are other factor to consider like your age, bmi, etc. But believe me you can do this.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    for your first, I would worry about time...have fun and finish hard!!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Most fitness people tell you it should take 30 min to complete 5k for a regular fit person I did one a couple of months ago in 27 mins and Im not a runner at all! Something about the who being in a race motivates you to move faster even when your not in it for competition. But I would think 35 mins is an awesome goal for a beginner for sure
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am only on week 5 of C25K, but all the literature that I have read suggests to work less on time and more on form if you are just starting out a running program. It is more important to be sure that your stride is proper and you aren't putting unnecessary strain on your knees rather than worrying about being sure you are within a pace. Hope this helps.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Now I am stressed...I am doing my first 5k on the 20th of this month.. Walkers are Welcome and I was hoping to do it in an hour.. .Now I am so unsure that I have made the right decision..maybe I should have waited but its non refundable..
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    my kids just ran a 5k last month. I told them, the only time you have to beat is your own.
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm doin the couch to 5 K program too...Had to back of this week because of an injury to my hip which gets aggravated with jogging so.... I have talked to other runners and they all say, dont get hung up on the time for the first time out. Just get thru the experience first. I have been on a treadmill at 5.5 and that feels pretty quick. Now when I jog at a 5.2 it much more comfortable and tolerable...Go at your own pace. Do what's comfortable for you, not whats comfortable for someone else.
    Good luck!!! Week 4 is NOT looking pleasant!!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Just enjoy it! Races are fun! If you make it in 21 minutes or an hour, who cares! Next race work on time :) Good luck! You'll do great and it will be a blast!
  • atucker_mom
    atucker_mom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to do my first 5K in a week. I did 3 miles today and it took me 65 mins. I thought I was doing a faster pace, but apparently I had my distance wrong on the trail I was walking. The part I had been walking wasn't marked. Today I walked on a marked trail and timed it. Is that to slow to even attempt a run/walk race? I am embarrassed to even attempt it at that slow of a pace, but at the same time I am also proud of how far I have come. A year ago I could barely walk a mile. At 279 lbs 3 miles in an hour is decent, I suppose.

Anybody have any thoughts?
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to do my first 5K in a week. I did 3 miles today and it took me 65 mins. I thought I was doing a faster pace, but apparently I had my distance wrong on the trail I was walking. The part I had been walking wasn't marked. Today I walked on a marked trail and timed it. Is that to slow to even attempt a run/walk race? I am embarrassed to even attempt it at that slow of a pace, but at the same time I am also proud of how far I have come. A year ago I could barely walk a mile. At 279 lbs 3 miles in an hour is decent, I suppose.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Angela, don't worry about the time. We will go out and have fun and you will have the accomplishment of having done it! We can do another one later for a goal time!

To the original poster...didn't mean to get off track here......I would say that if you are just starting out, just go out and have fun doing it. Don't worry about a time. Just finish. Give it all you got and have a great time!

I am running my first half marathon on 21 August. My time will be horrible, but I am just doing it to get the first one under my belt. Time will come later.
  • contrarymary7504
    contrarymary7504 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Although I've walked 5k many times, I ran my first 5k today. My goal was simply to run the entire thing...I didn't care how fast I was or how long I took. Now that I know I have the endurance to finish 3.1miles, I'll work on my speed.

Never thought I would actually do it...but here I am. Here's hoping this level of activity will help me lose this last 30+pounds!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think 10/11 minute miles are very fast for a newer runner. I did my first "official" 5k (timed event with other runners) today. I was thrilled with 34.36 minutes. I have only been running long enough to finish the C25K. Even 12/13 minute miles is reasonable, in my opinion.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5K a week from today (it is my C25K graduation day). My goal is to run the entire 5K. After this race I will start working on increasing my speed and recording better times.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about a time the first time you do any distance. Just enjoy it. Next time... next time, because you know how it will feel... kick the race's butt.

^^^ THIS!!!!

Coming from people who've run dozens and dozens of races, just enjoy the first one, and don't worry about the clock. You won't know what to expect anyways, and you'll need that positive experience to learn from. The second 5k however, hunt it down, and kill it!!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My cousin ran her first 5k in around 30 minutes and was told that was about average for someone new to running and a first 5k.