just need a shoulder....

Options
....to cry on. Today was awful. :(

I did not lose any weight last week and have been afraid to get on the scale all this week. Tomorrow is my weigh in day, so I won't be able to avoid it too much longer. I did not do badly the week I didn't lose any weight, I just didn't do too great with exercising. This week I exercised 6 days for at least 30 minutes a day and I think I did really well eating small meals every few hours and was always really close to my calorie goal. But I'm still really scared that this will be week 2 with no loss. :(

And to top it all off, at a party tonight for my work, a little girl (around 5) came up and asked me if I had a baby in my tummy while I was sitting down. :( I got really upset but held it together until I left the party, came home and worked out for 40 minutes, then cried like a baby. I just needed to get this off my chest. I'm just very discouraged and sad at the moment. I really hope tomorrow goes better.

Thanks for listening, guys.

Replies

• wantconfidence
    Options
    aww all you can do is try your best and keep your head up things take time you will get there just keep doing what your doing:smile:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You know that this is a journey... some weeks you will lose less than others even if you do everything the same. Your body will determine what it wants to release in the way of fat, what it wants to use to repair muscles you may have torn while exercising, and the scale may not reflect what your clothes or a tape measure might.

Keep in mind that just because you aren't losing doesn't mean you aren't winning.

Each day, week, month, year, you choose to eat better is better for you.

Keep your chin up and don't worry about kids... I've heard they say the darndest things!
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    you are going to have bad weeks and good weeks. its ok to have a cry and rail against the world as long as you pick yourself up after wards and realize that no matter if you are losing weight or not that you are changing your life and your body, that you are doing something GOOD for yourself.

chin up hon, I'm having a iffy week too. we'll get through it together! :flowerforyou:
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    {{{hugs}}
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's ok, hun, we all have bad days! Just remember that it's hard work losing weight! I've had the same things happen to me. Keep your head up! <3
  • Mandalicious
    Options
    Hang in there, lady! Boy, I have been there! I had a four week stretch with no loss while I exercised 5 to 6 days per week and strictly stuck to my calories. But then all of a sudden, the weight dropped dramatically. I find that with me the loss isn't linear, more like a plateau/drop/plateau/drop cycle. You can do this! Stick to your calories, get that exercise in, and keep your faith! It will work and you're going to feel more fit and look better and better!
  • sandra400
    sandra400 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    there, there, it's okay to cry and feel down. the key is not to let it over take you for to long. turn the sadness and anger into motivation
    to continue on no matter what the scale says tomorrow. if u r eating right and exercising the weight will come off.

hold ur head up high and smile u r beautiful.

hope this helps..
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I guarentee we've all had days like this!!! I've gone 4 weeks in a row with no loss (even a .5 gain), So I know how discouraging it can be! But, keep your chin up and remember why you are doing this----FOR YOU!!! You are doing great!! Keep it up!! :)
    Here's to great day tomorrow!!!!!!!
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. It totally sucks when the scale doesn't show how hard you worked. I've been stuck for 3 weeks at a time at the same weight. But when the scale finally moved again it moved a lot. In the past if the scale did not show how hard I worked I'd get discouraged and just give up. Luckily this time around I just keep plugging away and when it moves it moves alot. There are so many things that can affect your weight, sodium causing water weight gain to being constipated to not getting enough sleep. Please don't let this get you down. Keep up the good work and you will see the results. Even if the scale doesn't move for a while don't quit because I at least feel proud of myself for exercising when I do and proud when I stay within my calories. Eventually the scale will again move in the downward direction.
  • jsiler181
    Options
    Kids really do say the darndest things, huh?

It's easy to get down on yourself, especially when you're already making lifestyle changes for any number of reasons. The important thing is that you don't stay down. Just think how much better the view is from a highrise than an alley :) A challenge like weigh loss must be taken day by day (shoot, maybe even minute by minute!).

Luckily, MFP is a great place for motivation and support; two things that are greatly needed on a journey like the one we've all decided to take. If you continue to feel down, do something that lifts your spirits (for me, that's dancing or just listening to music). Curl up with a good book, take a bubble bath (complete with candles!), or jump on the treadmill for a quick endorphine rush.

Keep your head up and think about how you're choosing to make healthy, positive decisions. You'll be the better for it in the long run!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, we all have slow points, but the key is to just keep with it!! It will pay off in the long run. Remember, if you are eating few calories than you used to, you will lose the weight. It might just be slowly. Just don't throw your arms up and quit.
    Also, my kid when 4 years old, gave me a hug and said "Ew mommy, you're fat". How the heck did she know to say that?? It actually got me moving and I lost 60 pounds. Too bad it was 12 years ago and I put it all back on. I went on a diet, and when I was finished went back to eating normally. This time, I'm learning to eat correctly, it's not a diet, it's just changing my eating habits for good. Some times the weight loss is big, some time's it's not very much, but it's constantly going lower, just very slowly. But that is okay this time. Hang in there!!!
  • autumn_leaf
    Options
    Don't be sad---we ALL have days/weeks like that. So we're here. Where we can get support from people who are all in some version of the same boat. Tomorrow WILL be better. Why? Because you got this week off your chest, instead of keeping your feelings bottled up. There is great freedom in that. Don't be afraid of the scale!! So what if you didn't lose this week? You've lost 11 lb so far, and you will lose more!! Maybe not today, but that's OK. The important thing is to not lose sight of your goal, and to really feel good that you're here, because you are not alone in your journey.

Take good care!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! This is a journey. It will take time. Keep logging, keep exercising.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs your way!

I teach kids dance and they ask me all the time why I'm fat. It hurts, but they are so innocent they don't know any different. I think it's important to educate them about being healthy - and I have the opportunity to do this as I see them every week.

I can't wait until the comments stop. I know it will be a long time.
  • puffinstix
    Options
    :( I'm so sorry about that little girl. What's worse is when grown/older people ask. A girl I work with who is very conscious of her weight has endured that question several times before. surprisingly, none of those people recoiled in embarrassment when she said she wasn't pregnant. It's such a rude thing for someone to ask and then not apologize when the answer is no.

Anyway, keep your head up. And you know what? just because you haven't been exercising recently doesn't mean you can't start losing weight again(I think that was the best advice I've ever received). And really, you've already lost 11 pounds which is AWESOME! Good for you! There are definitely going to be obstacles with losing weight, and I know I was worried when I hadn't lost weight for a week, but try to switch things up just in case you hit a plateau. Exercise a little differently than you have been. Keep your head up and keep working through this all girl.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hang in there ... a whole lot of us have had all-i-wanna-do-is-go-home-to-bed-and-pull-the-covers-over-my-head days. Crying is OK, esp. when you hear things that seem particularly hurtful.

But.

Tomorrow's a bright new day, right? REGARDLESS of what the scale says. No, really. I mean it. :)

I get how you feel about weigh-ins, 'cuz I felt the same way for a long time myself. But I really, REALLY encourage you to not let your scale be the be-all, end-all determinant of how you're doing. For example ...

Have you started to see a difference in how clothes are fitting yet? If not, don't worry: you're going to soon *if you stay the course*. How about your energy level -- any improvements yet? If not, don't worry; you will soon *if you stay the course*. Emotions aside today, how does your body feel -- stronger? Healthier? More fit than it used to? If not, no problem: it will *if you stay the course*.

You see where I'm going with this, right? :)

Here's the thing. You're off to a really great start. 11 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at, after all! Don't let something a little kidlet says deter you from your mission. And FOR SURE don't let the scale sway your resolve. You are a smart, strong brilliant woman who can do anything. So do it. Because you can, and because you want to, and for any other reasons you can come up with (and I bet you can come up with many).

Chin up, friend. You can SO do this.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey - you know, what you're going through is very normal. Because you're working out regularly, remember that when you do, your muscles develop small tears as they grow, and they retain a little water in order to repair the muscles. Staying the same weight for a couple weeks, or even a few weeks or more can be normal for all of us. What you should really be focusing on is the measurements of your body. Measure your waist, hips, chest, arms, etc. and every week or two, compare the measurements. Those are the real tell-tale signs of progress, not the numbers on a scale.

As for that little girl saying "you have a baby in your tummy" - please don't take that to heart. Kids say what they see. They're only going by the comparisons that they have experienced in their short time on the planet. To her, it must be a wonderful thing to see what she thinks is a lady who is going to have a baby - maybe it reminded her of the experience of waiting for a younger sibling to be born. It has nothing to do with your or your weight. Geez, even my son a few months ago said, "Mom, you are such a good boy." LOL! I know I'm not a boy, and you know you're not having a baby - so it's really not something to be concerned about.

You're on this site for a reason - that reason should be for YOU, your health, and your progress in obtaining it. We're all here to support you, and if you want to friend me, feel free to do so. :) Stick to your guns!
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place. Anyone on this journey has felt similar pains. You keep at this though, it will pay off. This day will fade away and so will the extra weight.
    Don't let the scale be your only measurement and don't worry when it doesn't always say what we want it to on a particular day, it is going to start going down before you know it. (Your metabolism may be slow but that will improve as you stick with MFP... if it doesn't then you may want to look at how much iodine you are getting in your diet-deficiency can make it difficult on your thyroid.)
    One day at a time. MFP is working for so many people and it's going to work for you too!
    It could have been worse, at least the little girl didn't ask you why you have a mustache :laugh:
  • lakenleona
    lakenleona Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your support. I guess I just needed to get it all out and tell someone how I was feeling. Friday went much better. I lost 4.6 pounds this week and even better, I realized that I have lost 3.5 inches from my waist in a month! I'm really trying hard not to let things discourage me, but instead motivate me even more. And I've realized how much better I feel from being more active....I can take the stairs now without being completely out of breath! I know plateaus will happen, so I'm trying to prepare myself for them and say even if I don't lose weight this week, I still built muscle that I didn't have last week! I hope everyone is doing great and I'm so thankful for all of you and your support!
  • autumn_leaf
    Options
    So, look at you!!!! I just read your new post, then went back and reread your first post. What a difference!! You have a lot to be proud of this week...the weight loss--certainly. But more importantly, you've bounced back and are preparing yourself for the long haul. Good for you!!!