Calorie count

Options
How many calories should you have left over in a day on a 1200 calorie diet?

Replies

• budkow
    budkow Posts: 39
    Options
    If you've filled out the questions correctly honestly you can use all 1200 calories. You don't want to under-eat or your body could go into starvation mode (this would be a very very low intake of calories). If your goals and timeline are correct and you should feel safe eating up to the 1200 mark and then reducing it with exercise.
  • bewise4me
    Options
    So if i reduce it with excersise and i am under is that cool?
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie a day goal and believe me I use it all! :smile:
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least 75% of your exercise calories!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Have you notice the green button below your food diary that says something like "click here when your diary is complete?" When you click it after your finished for the day, it calculates and says "if you eat like this every day for 5 weeks, you will weigh this ___" I go by that sometimes.
  • panda0920
    Options
    Try exercising and that really helps with the balancing and not feeling guilty about eating the 1.2k calorie daily minimum. But also keep in mind how much your caloric intake is depends on your body; don't depend on a machine to set all of your goals and allowances. There are days where I eat only 1,000 calories and I've had my fill of proteins, sugars, whole grains, etc. and I can't possibly do anymore, but my body never went into starvation mode.

Starvation mode also shouldn't be a major fear considering it can take 72 hours to even begin the transition into it.
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    NEVER leave anything left over on a 1200 calorie diet. 1200 calories is the base line for your heart to continue working and your mind to barely survive. Always eat it all.
  • TaoWine
    TaoWine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gojira74 is correct 100% No one should ever go under 1200
  • KnaanTzachi
    Options
    As a clinical dietitian I developed an innovative and useful tool (patent pending) for counting calories called the "Categories Method". It helps individuals track their caloric intake using simple common knowledge.
    According to the well-known and conventional method we need to know the caloric value of each and every component our dish or meal. This method is very complicated and notoriously difficult especially for the average patient. Hence, "the categories method" suggests a single categorical estimation per meal, based on a set of five categories:
    Category 1 less than 200 kcal
    Category 2 201-500
    Category 3 501-800
    Category 4 801-1200
    Category 5 above 1200 kcal
    Each category represents the patients' assumption, based on his common knowledge of a meal caloric value: to calculate a daily caloric consumption we use the average value of the category (e.g., category 3: 500-800 Avg = 650 kcal).
    This method simplifies the process of counting calories, especially with assembled or cooked meal, it makes it easier to track any given meal even to those how are not so familiar with the caloric value of a product.
    On a preliminary study I found that the error of the mean is up to 10% between the reported category and the detailed description of a meal caloric value.
    Furthermore I have developed an iPhone application based on this concept called 'CountEat' which enable users track their caloric count using a portable device. http://itunes.apple.com/il/app/counteat.-calories.-an-innovative/id449496377?mt=8
    ENJOY
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many calories should you have left over in a day on a 1200 calorie diet?