VO2 Max calculator that doesn't require an exercise test

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
But it does require some math.....:frown:

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/ETD/image/etd324.pdf

This takes some work getting through the paper to get all the info you need, but it's probably a pretty good tool.

Here is the equation:

V02MAX=48.073+(6.178*GENDER)-(0.246*AGE)-(0.619*BMI)+(0.712*PFA)+(0.671XPA-R)

The GENDER values are MALE =1, FEMALE = 0

Your need to have your AGE, GENDER, BMI and the number results from 2 questionnaires.

The questionnaires are listed on pages 47 and 48 of the thesis.

There are (2) PFA questionnaires--ADD the results of both to get the PFA number for the formula.

Use the number from the PA-R questionnaire that fits your activity level.

If you use this and get the number, AND you have a HRM that allows you to manually enter VO2 max (Polar F6, FT7, F11), plug this number into your HRM. That and your true maximum Heart Rate will make the calorie numbers more accurate.

My number agreed what I get from a couple of other submax tests I have taken by 5%.

Have fun!

Replies

• pinbotchick
    Options
    Thanks - you always give great info!!!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I get 37.50. My F7 came with my V02 set to that. I thought it seemed high and most people agreed it was. So how accurate is this calculation? Curious to see how others do.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look at this later......thanks for posting.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    bump to do on tuesday with updated bmi
  • _danielchin
    Options
    I don't believe the Polar FT7 allows for manual input of VO2 Max. If it does, I can't figure it out, and it's not mentioned in the manual
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My number agreed with the VO2 number assigned by my FT60 from the fitness test.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Calculated it, but not sure what to do with it now? ;)

My came out to 39.3...
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lorettatat
    Options
    Bump..looking forward to finding out what my VO2 Max is
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    How do you manually enter VO2 into the FT7? I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow for that.. only the FT40's and up do.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    How do you manually enter VO2 into the FT7? I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow for that.. only the FT40's and up do.

Yeah, the orginal post is a little dated. From what I understand from visiting the Polar forums, as Polar upgrades their HRMs, they are doing away with manual VO2 entry altogether. I think it's because they are changing the algorithms for how they estimate calories burned and using an analysis of something called Heart Rate Velocity. According to some of the snippets I have read, they feel these algorithms make VO2 max or even Heart Rate max less important to know. It's always hard to tell for sure becuase they are very secretive, and even when they provide information, they're all Finnish and I find they don't make a lot of sense even in English.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Yeah, the orginal post is a little dated. From what I understand from visiting the Polar forums, as Polar upgrades their HRMs, they are doing away with manual VO2 entry altogether. I think it's because they are changing the algorithms for how they estimate calories burned and using an analysis of something called Heart Rate Velocity. According to some of the snippets I have read, they feel these algorithms make VO2 max or even Heart Rate max less important to know. It's always hard to tell for sure becuase they are very secretive, and even when they provide information, they're all Finnish and I find they don't make a lot of sense even in English.

Lol, understandable.

Which leads me to another question that maybe you can answer.. How does the FT7 determine your "zones" and does it use Vo2Max to do that? In what I've read in the manual, it sounds like to does but I'm not too sure.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the FT40 from my FT7 and giving that one to my mom so that I can manually input Vo2, but if they are doing away with it, I may just keep my FT7...
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lellie_zpk
    Options
    But it does require some math.....:frown:

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/ETD/image/etd324.pdf

This takes some work getting through the paper to get all the info you need, but it's probably a pretty good tool.

Here is the equation:

V02MAX=48.073+(6.178*GENDER)-(0.246*AGE)-(0.619*BMI)+(0.712*PFA)+(0.671XPA-R)

The GENDER values are MALE =1, FEMALE = 0

Your need to have your AGE, GENDER, BMI and the number results from 2 questionnaires.

The questionnaires are listed on pages 47 and 48 of the thesis.

There are (2) PFA questionnaires--ADD the results of both to get the PFA number for the formula.

Use the number from the PA-R questionnaire that fits your activity level.

If you use this and get the number, AND you have a HRM that allows you to manually enter VO2 max (Polar F6, FT7, F11), plug this number into your HRM. That and your true maximum Heart Rate will make the calorie numbers more accurate.

My number agreed what I get from a couple of other submax tests I have taken by 5%.

Have fun!
    I have done this i hope it is right i got a max vo2 of 43.

do you burn more calories the higher your number is.

Thanks