Macro question

On my weekly nutrition, my carb count is a little high, but my fiber is high too.

Does having a high fiber count make the high carb count a little less of a problem?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Going over your carb target really isn't a problem in general...

These are just default macro settings...you can customize your macros however you like...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I don't think fiber somehow negates carbs. Whether being over on carbs is a problem or not doesn't have much to do with fiber, unless there is some overriding health issue that you're not mentioning.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit carbohydrates, I would focus less on the carbohydrate to fiber percentage and more on whether or not the carbohydrates are keeping you from keeping the protein and fat that you need. If you're meeting your needs for protein and fat, I wouldn't worry about going over sometimes on carbohydrates.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Thanks. I’ve recently upped my carb intake because I’ve been doing more weight training. I’ve felt better, but I may have been a little enthusiastic with my new ability to eat carbs! They’ve always scared the hell out of me. I no longer need to be in major weight loss mode and it’s a difficult transition.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I think the most important thing about choosing macro distribution is gauging how it makes you feel. I mean, you must keep within your calorie plan to get your desired results, but how you distribute your calories is up to you.
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    kimcalica wrote: »
    On my weekly nutrition, my carb count is a little high, but my fiber is high too.

Does having a high fiber count make the high carb count a little less of a problem?

what you need to do is subtract your dairy fiber from your carbs in general so you can get your net carbs. i prefer getting most my carbs from fiber sense they are the complex carbs that take a little longer to break down and don't cause a high insulin spike. But that is really good if it's more from fiber that also gives your gut microbes something to nibble on to keep them healthy. And another thing when you get your net carbs those are the sugars your eating each 4 g is one tsp of sugar and most institutions agree that the average adult should stay under 7 tsp for best overall health. But fiber is not to be counted into the 7 tsp lot you put the net carbs into. All fiber will do is provide you with a steady supply of glucose over time and not be rapidly used up in your body. hope this makes a little sense if that was your main question. But go off on how your feeling and don't sweat the small stuff too much.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    xhunter561 wrote: »
    kimcalica wrote: »

what you need to do is subtract your dairy fiber from your carbs in general so you can get your net carbs. i prefer getting most my carbs from fiber sense they are the complex carbs that take a little longer to break down and don't cause a high insulin spike. But that is really good if it's more from fiber that also gives your gut microbes something to nibble on to keep them healthy. And another thing when you get your net carbs those are the sugars your eating each 4 g is one tsp of sugar and most institutions agree that the average adult should stay under 7 tsp for best overall health. But fiber is not to be counted into the 7 tsp lot you put the net carbs into. All fiber will do is provide you with a steady supply of glucose over time and not be rapidly used up in your body. hope this makes a little sense if that was your main question. But go off on how your feeling and don't sweat the small stuff too much.

OP doesn't need to worry about net carbohydrates unless they're doing a low carbohydrate plan. There's no evidence from the OP that this is the case.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    The fact that you're feeling better is not something to be ignored.