I HATE running!

Options
13»

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    A large portion of running is mental. You have to wrap your head around what you are trying to accomplish. Set a goal, like running a race. Then put yourself on a plan. Lots of good stuff out there like Couch to 5k or a free plan from runnersworld.com. Some structure goes a long way toward moving forward with your training.

I spent the first year or so just struggling to get to 3 miles. I was doing it on my own, and not on any sort of plan. But once I ran my first 5k I was hooked!! I ran right home to look for a target half marathon and found a training plan. Less than 6 months later I ran my frist one!! I just registered for my 3rd in March of next year. In between I have my first sprint triathlon, my 3rd 10k, and my 6th 10 Miler.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I really believe there is no point in doing a sport you hate. I hate swimming - so I don't do it. I don't feel obliged to because other people rave about it.

Sadly sometimes I have to take the children, like today, and there's no avoiding it, but I HATE it.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I run at the gym. Then, I have Netflx, Hulu Plus, MFP, and CNN to get me through it.

Me too! There are a lot of advocates for the lovliness of running outdoors, but personally I find that worse and quite boring. I've tried varying routes etc, but can never seem to enjoy it. I find that at least on the treadmill I can push myself to maintain a certain speed and reach a certain distance/time goal which I can count down if I'm really struggling.

I did my first mini-marathon in May and while the feeling of accomplishment was great at the end, I really didn't love the actual running part lol.

I have some attention issues and can become bored quite quickly with repetition. For me, distraction is the key. The only way I get through a run is to have someone beside me to chat to, or my iPod loaded up with movies and tv shows to watch.
  • hannavasgreen
    hannavasgreen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really hate running. I tried for a while to convince myself that I liked it. I bought a Nike plus watch and got new shoes. I did c25k for a while, but I still hated it. So I joined a gym and now I do the elliptical. I love it! I work up an awesome sweat and can workout harder for longer than I could ever run for.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I do it on the treadmill to keep me up to speed and on target, but outside I usually just walk, or ride my bike.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    A large portion of running is mental. You have to wrap your head around what you are trying to accomplish.

I completely agree with the rest of your post, but sometimes, you have to UNWRAP your head around it. It depends on what kind of person you are. Some people associate and some people need to disassociate from what they're doing.

People who associate, like you, focus on the goals short and long term and how about how what they are doing pertain to them. Based on studies I've read, these are the go-getters, the racers...etc

People who disassociate listen to music, watch tv, talk to people. This is about getting through, especially when things are rough.

Both definitely have their place.

And frankly, I can say that I've needed to use both from time to time... especially to get me through marathon training and PRing.
  • lbiel
    lbiel Posts: 2
    Options
    I listen to podcasts when I run (This American Life, Radio Lab---whatever) and it helps distract you a lot so you aren't so much thinking about your run as listening to a story.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    A large portion of running is mental. You have to wrap your head around what you are trying to accomplish.

I completely agree with the rest of your post, but sometimes, you have to UNWRAP your head around it. It depends on what kind of person you are. Some people associate and some people need to disassociate from what they're doing.

People who associate, like you, focus on the goals short and long term and how about how what they are doing pertain to them. Based on studies I've read, these are the go-getters, the racers...etc

People who disassociate listen to music, watch tv, talk to people. This is about getting through, especially when things are rough.

Both definitely have their place.

And frankly, I can say that I've needed to use both from time to time... especially to get me through marathon training and PRing.

I agree that they are not exclusive. I know I'm "in the zone" when I get that zen like feeling and I completely lose myself in the music.

Maybe I should have explained myself a bit better. I do think you need to set a strategy (wrap your head around what you are trying to accomplish) prior to setting out for every run: even if that strategy is no strategy. That's where the "mental" aspect of it comes in. Whether you are doing speedwork, distance, or just running with no focus on anything (time or distance), you still need to set an expectation for that run. Then what you do, or how you get through that run, is up to you.
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it is not compulsory but it is a great burn for the time invested. I have recently come to it and I am now enjoying it but check out my earlier post which was similar in title to yours...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/285875-will-i-ever-love-running?

I was given lots of great advice in that thread.

Also check out my post about Tips for the C25K as that might also give you some ideas.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/298553-ten-tips-for-success-with-the-couch-to-5k?

All the best!