Snow changing plans for the day

Options
Anybody else have to change up their exercise plans for the day?

Was supposed to do a 5 mile run, but switched it up to Insanity. I can run in cold, but I'm a total clutz once snow is sticking to the ground.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It happens all the to me for various reasons,, the other day my battery was dead so couldn't get to gym for class. The big question is not do plans change, but HOW are you going to adapt when it happens? It just like the rest of life, always changing.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No. I have a long run today. It's lightly snowing, but not sticking. I plan to go out as soon as my feet warm up from walking the dog. I love walking and running in falling snow.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’m a pansy in cold and snow - was planning to take my dog for a 7-mile trail run today and instead headed to the local YMCA where I did a spin class, a few easy miles on the treadmill and some incline work on the elliptical.

This time of year isn’t a big deal for me to make adjustments as I am just relaxing and enjoying the off-season. Come end of January, I don’t care what the weather is - I will find a way to meet whatever goal my training plan has set for the day (within reason for safety considerations).

Good on you to make the necessary adjustments to meet your fitness goals despite the weather.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Got 7" of snow yesterday. Ran anyway
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I workout at home indoors - lifting, rowing and sometimes biking. So, weather has no effect on that.

However, I have also taken up hiking, more of a pastime than a workout but it is also that. Of course, weather also plays a part in this.

Just went on a 10 mile hike the other day and planning on another tomorrow. Need to plan for that because I walk slow and it can take 1/2 a day.

No snow where I live but there is rain. I have no problem hiking on a flat route in the rain and mud but climbing slick 1000 ft hills and negotiating cow rutted trails in the rain and mud would be another matter. In this case,

In tbis case, I'd just workout at home and delay the hike for a better day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There wasn't as much snow as I expected. Came to ski. Had to go about 750 feet up to find good snow. The skiing was chunky.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Have to keep running as I have a half marathon in 4 weeks. Its been bitter cold out but I have told myself to man the kitten up and get on with it! Its making me mentally stronger as well as physically I hope. Also been soooooo cold in our CrossFit box but just have to get on with it. I do wish I had a treadmill sometimes though so I didn't need to run in the cold.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like running in the snow.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    There's so much ice built up around my house that I can barely walk, let alone run. It stinks. I did good through rain and cold and even a little snow, but ice is a big no-go for me. I got into running by keeping things really easy for myself so now I'm lazy and stuck. I'm probably just going to focus on strength training through the winter and get back to jogging again in the spring.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Still all ice around the house and on the trails! I'm still getting in my exercise, but nothing compares to my runs outside, they are good for my body and soul! My hubby told me he is about to go around and chisel a path for me to run, so I'm guessing not being able to run isn't just affecting me, lol!
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chained up for a night hike this evening.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've got Yak Trax for my shoes - they really help, and a rowing machine, bike trainer and snow shoes when the drifts start to pile up. :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No snow here but it was very cold with wind gusts above 20 mph and a wind chill in the low single digits. I slept in.

I'm not a masochist and never claimed to be tough.