Caloric intake HELP =/

Options
Hi everyone!

So as my icon says, I've been on this site since the end of May 2011. Before that, I was in total starvation mode for quite a long time (working out 2-6 hours a day, 6 days a week, eating AT MOST 1500 calories total, usually like 800-1200). I'd binge roughly once a week, and of course hate myself for it...and during all this time, my weight stayed the same. It was so frustrating!!!

Since joining MFP, I've discovered "eating your exercise calories" and it has literally changed my life. I have been consistently losing weight week after week, but am eating 1400-1500 NET calories - plus all of that exercise is now actually making me stronger, faster, more agile, etc!

Until the past two weeks, that is (well, week and a half). Instead of consistently losing, the scale has not moved (outside of usual daily fluctuations. It just keeps fluctuating around the same number!!!!). I haven't really changed much in my diet or exercise - I've been slowly moving towards slightly less carbs and slightly more fat/protein, and have been doing a LITTLE more weight training, but not at all a drastic change.

So I just looked at this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ . When I used it to calculate my BMR, it gave me a BMR that is actually higher than the net calories I eat every day!! (My goal is 1450 net, it says my BMR is 1518.)

Should I up my net calories? I'd set it to lose a pound and a half per week, which while I know it's high, I have contract renewal coming up in a few weeks and was trying to get closer to my goal weight (or, my artistic director's goal weight for me) before setting it lower. Am I hurting my weight loss efforts by eating under my BMR in net calories, even though my total calories are usually 1900-2400?

Help and thoughts, please!!!

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If your actual calories are 1900 to 2400 I think you're doing just fine.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You have what, 5lbs to lose? It's going to be SLOW if you do it right (meaning no muscle loss). I'd suggest that you stop worrying about the scale and just focus on improving your body composition. Make sure you are eating your protein and you might want to start doing a good amount of weights. What is your goal set to? You could even change it to maintenance, or manually change it to give yourself a 100 calorie deficit.

Mine is at 0.5 lbs per week, with a semi-active activity level. I net 1750 calories a day. I just (like today) started trying to make sure I get at least 130 grams of protein (1 gram per estimated pound of lean body weight). I've decided to stop being so concerned about the scale and just go by the appearance of my body. Once the fat starts to disappear off my thighs, I'll be really happy.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I technically have 8 pounds to what my "goal" weight is for my contract renewal (I'm a professional dancer; we have to weigh in before signing a new contract. I don't choose the number.) I know what I look like when I'm only 5 pounds less than where I am now, though, and I feel like that would be "good enough" to get a renewal, since my artistic director doesn't really want to lose me.

I'd like to do it the healthy way, but I'd also really like to keep my job. =)
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    Its not the healthiest but you could do a cleanse or cut weight like a wrestler. If you google "tim ferriss cut weight" he shows you how. Good luck to you
  • suggagina
    suggagina Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to eat your good fats, coconut oil, olive oil, raw nuts (almonds), berrys and DRINK YOUR WATER. Half your body weight in oz's is your water requirment. You can do it!!