Confused:Elliptical vs Treadmill..calories burned?

Options
Hi all.. I have been doing cardio on both Elliptical trainer and treadmill..However, I always seem to be burning a lot more calories on the elliptical as compared to the treadmill..and as a matter of fact, I get a more tired and out of breath on the treadmill.. are these machines doing their job right? I enter my weight and age..do you guys know anything about this? I am afraid I might be trusting the elliptical calorie burn and eating too much. :(

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - Elliptical will normally burn more calories - your movements are bigger - legs go up and down higher, and your arms are working more as well.....

I burn more on the elliptical than I would even running on the treadmill....
  • jojonmia
    Options
    Those machines overestimate calories the calories you burn at least 200-300%. Do not trust those. If you really want an accurate count, get a heart rate moniter. I love mine!
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor & not listen to the dam machines! ^_^

One day the elliptical said I burned about 200 & my HRM says 190 (guess I wasn't working that hard) but another day the machine said 200 & my HRM said 350! But i was moving faster and increased resistance.

For me I burn more calories on treadmill (if jogging/running) but I enjoy the elliptical better. I dont feel as tired as using the treadmill. good luck!
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Yes elliptical burns double the calories . Stick with elliptical :) I converted.
  • lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    I also use a heart rate monitor and it always give me a more consebative calorie burn. However I do prefer the eliptical not only becuase you normally work out harder but it also better for your knees as it eliminate the impact of the tredmil.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    eliptical burns morcalories for sure... I use a heart rate monitor.. I find machines tell me I burn almost double what I really am
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say which one burns more unless you have a HRM or something else that gives you a more accurate burn number. As you can already see from these responses, some people burn more on the treadmill and others burn more on the elliptical, and it could be different on different days! I have a Bodybugg and it shows that I always burn more calories on the treadmill. One thing is for sure though, you can't EVER trust the numbers on those machines! They are always way off.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes elliptical burns double the calories . Stick with elliptical :) I converted.

I totally disagree

do you wear a HRM?
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I plan to start using the elliptical machine next month because it's just too much for me to do at this point. I'm working my way up to being able to walk on the treadmill at 3.0 speed.

I want to do the elliptical because it's suppose to be easier on the knees.

I am happy knowing that I'll be buring more calories next month!
  • laureneva15
    Options
    I stick with the treadmill.
    I find I'm too awkward and unco-ordinated for the elliptical and couldn't get in a rythym on it the other day
    but that was the first time I've ever used one, so I'm going to give it a few more shots just to make sure
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor to know for sure..., it should show your calories burned.
  • mmiiaa
    mmiiaa Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I completely ignore the numbers on the machine. They're just too high sometimes. Unfortunately, I don't have a heart rate monitor, but if you have one, I suggest you use it. It'll tell you.

I believe the elliptical will burn more calories because there's more dynamic movement. Legs get a full range of motion and you're working your arms as well. But nothing can tell you like a heart rate monitor.
  • dragonpixie
    dragonpixie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use a TM on incline. I occasionally use an elliptical but I often get pins and needles in my feet anything longer than 20 minutes!