P90X Without a Pull-up Bar

Options
Hey guys!
I'm interested in investing in P90X (I was debating between that and Insanity but I think P90X fits the goals that I'm trying to reach better). The only thing is I won't be able to use a pull-up bar. The doorframes in my house are definitely not sturdy enough for that and I don't have the money or space to invest in a free standing one. Have any of you used the program without the bar? If so, what did you use and how did it affect your progress? The heaviest dumbbells I own are 10lbs and that's heavy enough for me right now because my upper body strength is terrible. I'm 22 years old, 5'10, 260lbs (even though I don't really look that heavy) and just wanted to start a program that would help me build muscle and burn fat. I did P90X briefly in the past so I've experienced it a little. Thanks!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You could theoretically rig up straps to substitute for a chin up bar but to be honest P90X has so many chin-up type moves that you may be better off getting a different program.

FYI, the door frames in your house are most definitely sturdy enough for a chin up bar.
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it! I think, not sure it's been a while, they use a band. I think I just did pushups to improvise. Not sure it's been a while.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Resistance bands + a hook or two on either the ceiling or near the top of the wall. Back when I did it, I didn't have room for a pullup bar in my basement, so that's what I did.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    They give you modifications with a band for the pull-up exercises. The suggestion of putting it on a hook in the ceiling is a good one. If this isn't possible, you can improvise. I hook mine around the console of my treadmill which is about 5 ft high. It's not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.
  • AshBandicoot_
    AshBandicoot_ Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    You could theoretically rig up straps to substitute for a chin up bar but to be honest P90X has so many chin-up type moves that you may be better off getting a different program.

FYI, the door frames in your house are most definitely sturdy enough for a chin up bar.

In this particular house, no, I don't think the frames are sturdy enough for that and right now, I won't risk seeing if that's true. The way they built this house from what I've come to understand wasn't that great. And I thought P90X only had chin/pull up type exercises on like 1 or 2 DVDs?? There's 12 of them, I'm sure I can still benefit from it even if I have to modify or skip certain moves. I have to modify moves either way, I'm out of shape lmao
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    MissMayo13 wrote: »

In this particular house, no, I don't think the frames are sturdy enough for that and right now, I won't risk seeing if that's true. The way they built this house from what I've come to understand wasn't that great. And I thought P90X only had chin/pull up type exercises on like 1 or 2 DVDs?? There's 12 of them, I'm sure I can still benefit from it even if I have to modify or skip certain moves.

The door frames are part of the actual framing of the house. It doesn't say great things about the structural integrity of your house if you're worried that the doors won't support a chin up bar.

There are 12 DVDs but that's so you can rotate workouts over the 3 month program. I forget the exact workouts, but you end up using the chin up bar for something like 2 of the 6 workouts per week.
  • AshBandicoot_
    Options

In this particular house, no, I don't think the frames are sturdy enough for that and right now, I won't risk seeing if that's true. The way they built this house from what I've come to understand wasn't that great. And I thought P90X only had chin/pull up type exercises on like 1 or 2 DVDs?? There's 12 of them, I'm sure I can still benefit from it even if I have to modify or skip certain moves.

The door frames are part of the actual framing of the house. It doesn't say great things about the structural integrity of your house if you're worried that the doors won't support a chin up bar.

There are 12 DVDs but that's so you can rotate workouts over the 3 month program. I forget the exact workouts, but you end up using the chin up bar for something like 2 of the 6 workouts per week.

Yeah, it was a really old house that they remade but they didnt build it that well. I live with my mom and she said to not even bother trying that lol. So for now I'll just use resistance bands and dumbbells and I'll probably invest in a pull-up bar once I get my own place or something. But my dad has used P90X without the bar so I'm not as worried about it. Thank you for your advice tho, I appreciate it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can do bodyweight rows:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pbQW9cyXKqE
    If it gets too easy, you can wear a weighted backpack.

Or just do resistance band rows.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I live with my mom and she said to not even bother trying that lol.

yeah, if the homeowner has set a boundary then it hardly matters if she's wrong or right about it. it's more important to respect the line drawn.

if your hands are comfortable with straight-across grip, you could try looking around for the nearest playground. i know in the house i'm living in, the frame itself might be part of the foundation but the trim around it sure isn't and i wouldn't trust it to hold up a bar either, so that's what i do if i get in a pull-up-y mode.
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am currently doing P90X Lean version. I am currently half way through week 2! I have used the videos in the past, but have never actually completed the series. I have also completed Insanity 3 times and partially so many times it probably adds up to another 3. Anyways... I do not use the pull up bar, and I only use resistance bands due to price. You need to invest in resistance bands if you are not going to use the pull up bar OR choose to do another hard exercise like push ups every time they do pull ups. I bought a set of 5 bands from amazon for $20-25. I would recommend a set of 5 because the amount you can use varies. In the past I have only lifted 8-10lb dumbbells, but for pull ups I use the Black or Red bands (20-25 lbs bands). Hope that helps!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to ask why are the door frames not sturdy enough? How old is this house?

I worked out a chin up bar out of metal pipes and mounted them to a board that was mounted into the roof trusses in my garage.
  • julie3461
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Ppl are saying they hook their bands to the ceiling. Yikes, idk if I would trust that! If the set of bands you buy doesn't have a door strap, just buy a roll of Scotch masking tape and thread the band through that. Since you are worried about the integrity of the house, make sure you are on the side that pulls the door shut...You don't want it flying open and the bands/tape smacking you in the face at full force. Also, the set of bands I bought was from Amazon; the brand was Master of Muscle.
  • AshBandicoot_
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to ask why are the door frames not sturdy enough? How old is this house?

I worked out a chin up bar out of metal pipes and mounted them to a board that was mounted into the roof trusses in my garage.

This house used to belong to my great grandma and it was rebuilt a few years ago but from what I've come to understand, the overall foundation could be better and my mom says not to risk using a pull up bar because she doesn't trust the sturdiness. I also wouldn't want it to damage these sheetrock walls. So, idk but I'll just leave it alone.

I'm also looking into the beginner P90 program since that doesn't require a bar and it's not nearly as intense as P90X.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »

This house used to belong to my great grandma and it was rebuilt a few years ago but from what I've come to understand, the overall foundation could be better and my mom says not to risk using a pull up bar because she doesn't trust the sturdiness. I also wouldn't want it to damage these sheetrock walls. So, idk but I'll just leave it alone.

I'm also looking into the beginner P90 program since that doesn't require a bar and it's not nearly as intense as P90X.

I know that a chin up bar is out of the question for you, but note that the doorway models screw directly into the door frame itself (hence the reason that the door frame is almost guaranteed to be strong enough to support a chin up bar...it's part of the overall frame of the house).

You don't touch any drywall or have to worry about drywall anchors or finding a stud or anything...the bar is screwed straight into the wooden frame.
  • julie3461
    edited December 2017
    Options
    [

I'm also looking into the beginner P90 program since that doesn't require a bar and it's not nearly as intense as P90X. [/quote]

You should be able to do P90x. It isn't that intense. It definitely can be, but it is mainly lifting weights and push-ups. It's as hard as u make it. Core synergistics and Yoga is a bear imo, but it gets easier. P90 is a solid workout! My dad lost a LOT of weight with it. I've only done part of a video, and it definitely got my heart rate up, and I was in shape at the time! I think there is slightly more cardio on P90