Flat Belly Diet vs. 21-Day Tummy Diet

Options
These are both written by the same person. Has anyone tried both? I'm interested in the 21-Day Tummy Diet as I suffer from IBS issues. But I am also getting close to 40 and notice a lot of weight around my middle now. I am fully aware that a diet won't help me lose weight in just one spot, but I think both diet plans will help reduce bloat.

If anyone can weigh in on a comparison of these two, I'd appreciate it.

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Never heard of them, but I think you'll need to include some exercise along with your eating plan.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Any “diet” with a name is pretty much worthless. Enter your stats in MFP, weigh & log your food, stay within your calorie deficit, excercise with a mix of cardio & strength training and you’ll lose what you need to. Oh, and it will take longer than 21 days.
  • SandraDee2014
    SandraDee2014 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can technically create a diet plan that focuses on trouble areas. You can workout and attempt to focus on trouble areas through weight lifting and such but dieting and cardio that fat will come off randomly in different areas of the body.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't go on diets written by other people. Write your own diet. If you have IBS, you may have to get personalized and specific advice from your doctor or dietician. Bloat is very popular these days (it wasn't a "thing" when I joined MFP a few years ago), so it could be smart to check out whether you're gassy for real, or just experiencing normal stomach distention after eating, and if you are bloated, address this specifically, and separately from weight loss.

To lose weight, you just have to eat less. Sadly, you can't decide where the weight will come off, but there's no reason to fear that you won't lose weight from your stomach.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Those are not diets for people with diagnosed IBS. Talk to your doctor/a registered dietitian about your specific medical needs.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Don't go on diets written by other people. Write your own diet. If you have IBS, you may have to get personalized and specific advice from your doctor or dietician. Bloat is very popular these days (it wasn't a "thing" when I joined MFP a few years ago), so it could be smart to check out whether you're gassy for real, or just experiencing normal stomach distention after eating, and if you are bloated, address this specifically, and separately from weight loss.

To lose weight, you just have to eat less. Sadly, you can't decide where the weight will come off, but there's no reason to fear that you won't lose weight from your stomach.

I blame Marie Osmonds Nutrisystem commercials
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Original poster, if you are still reading, do you mean the books by Cynthia Sass, and colleagues, some of which were posted in Prevention magazine? If so, I think they are effective in that they contain many recipes, snack ideas, and meal plans in the books that are both tasty and healthy, keeping calories under control. I am someone whose excess weight all goes to my stomach. If I over-indulge my stomach gets distended and if I scale back on my eating I also see it in my stomach right away. If you are used to over-indulging, these books can be good to get your eating habits back on track. It's been a while since I pulled them out, but as I recall Cynthia Sass's book has a short term (3 or 5 day diet) that is low-cal. It might also be a little lower in protein than is espoused in other places, but you can always add more protein if you desire to the meal plan. I don't know much about IBS so can't help there. Good luck!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit reduces belly fat. The diet that best works for you as an individual to achieve that deficit is the best diet for you.