Is collagen worth it? (aka can you feel the difference?)

Options
Title says it all. Collagen is somewhat $$$..I can definitely afford it but unsure if it is that beneficial and wanted to inquire before possibly purchasing. I know the health benefits and how it is recommended for skin and joints, etc. But can you actually feel the benefits? Rather than read product reviews, I wanted to ask people here. Joints feel ok but I do exercise intensely and curious if I'll notice better recovery etc. Appreciate honest feedback. I know it has protein but I don't have problems meeting macros without it, so that would not be the primary reason to purchase.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you want to feel. I take it. I have no joint pproblems and good skin, hair and nails. But, I don't really "feel" anything from taking it.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would be hoping to feel less general aches and pains, improved exercise tolerance, etc.
    mmapags wrote: »
    Not sure what you want to feel. I take it. I have no joint pproblems and good skin, hair and nails. But, I don't really "feel" anything from taking it.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I would be hoping to feel less general aches and pains, improved exercise tolerance, etc.
    mmapags wrote: »

i never really had joint aches. So, I didn't notice a difference. There is some data out there that collagen and vitamin c are good for joint health and helps with reducing/ preventing arthritis. Also weight reduction generally helps with joint issues. You don't say where you sit relative to ideal body weight.
  • RomaO0501
    RomaO0501 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I take a good quality marine collagen peptide that i add to a hot cup of coffee or tea because it disolves better in hot liquid. The benefits from taking this were almost immediate for me. Joints, gums, and skin all improved. I purchase from hsn.com https://www.hsn.com/products/marine-collagen-peptides/10075565
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've been taking collagen for about a year. I have had 1 hip replacement due to arthritis, probably will have another one in my other hip, and have arthritis in my lower back. I feel a difference. No joint pain. My skin looks great. My nail are strong and my hair is very healthy.

I also eat a lot of Greek yogurt, am religious about my skincare routine and lift heavy weights. All of those can be contributing factors to the good skin, hair and nails and the lack of joint pain.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I never buy into any of this kind of stuff, but I gave it a shot because if anything it was just extra protein in the shake and that's not a bad thing, even if there are no other benefits. I didn't really notice anything dramatic, but when I ran out and decided not to re-up I definitely felt more joint soreness. And it seemed to go away when I added it back into the routine. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth :)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I really can't see how a collagen supplement would offer any benefits that other proteins don't - all are broken down into amino acids during digestion. There are much cheaper proteins sources available (eggs, tuna, cheese, chicken, meats, etc.). https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/collagen-an-implausible-supplement-for-joint-pain/
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I like your input and understand where you're coming from. However, I don't personally like or eat meat much. I eat a fair amount of poultry and don't particularly enjoy cooking. I would prefer supplementing with collagen powder if I am planning to ingest it on a regular basis vs cooking parts of an animal I don't care to consume. Ju ta personal food preference.
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't post here because I'm not interested in the kind of collagen sources under discussion, but I'm curious. Why not experiment with collagen from a culinary source? When you slowly cook a piece of meat, pork shoulder for instance, after a couple hours all that connective tissue breaks down into collagen and magically a tough gristly hunk of meat can be deliciously separated using only two forks. They call the thing pulled pork. There's a big hunk of pig skin attached to a boston butt (shoulder actually) that breaks down into collagen. Some cooks, well I can testify with certainty at least one cook, will toss split pig feet into a stock pot because in a few hours they turn into nearly pure collagen as well.
    If you're not a fan of pork stock, including skin in a chicken stock does the same thing as do all those ligaments, tendons, and gnarly bits that connect ribs to breastbone, and legs to thighs. If you shop in a grocery store that caters either to stuck up foodies, or immigrants steeped in their own culinary traditions, you might even find chicken feet for sale. Why? Because that's pure collagen also.

I realize there is a virtual society of supplement enthusiasts and I am almost perfectly ignorant of their beliefs and tenets of faith. May I respectfully ask if collagen purchased in pill or powder form could be wholly or partly replaced with collagen from a stock pot?

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I started taking collagen in hopes of helping loose skin. No effect. But I noticed less joint pain. And from what I'm reading above, I think I'll continue it.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the power of a placebo.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Never underestimate the power of a placebo.

Unless you're experiencing benefits you weren't looking for...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    It is a protein which must break down in order to be absorbed. There is plenty of collagen in all meats (including ours). Thus, the supplement adds nothing to a balanced diet. I've also heard that it is not sustainability harvested (shark fin).