Any tips on cooking?

Options
Any tips on cooking better. I have tried to cook many things such as chicken, beef, fish and I can only make 1 healthy recipe for each. It gets really boring having that stuff every week so I go to fast food which is terrible for my body. Any recipes for chicken, beef, turkey, and any fish?

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Might want to post this in the food & nutrition section
  • Aishap1913
    Aishap1913 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I incorporated different protein into a stir fry. Always weight my protein to ensure I’m getting the right amount of protein needed per meal
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like the recipes on the Skinnytaste blog, particularly her slow-cooker recipes.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com
  • BryanHoffman74
    BryanHoffman74 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    dont
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Look to vegan and vegetarian recipes, they have some interesting choices. Also mix up your spices, chili chicken, onion soup mix chicken, fajita chicken, mole chicken, enchilada chicken, tandoori chicken, BBQ chicken, butter chicken. The list goes on and on, spice mixes are your friend.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of grilled chicken and rice with veggies. I eat pretty boring and same day to day. It helped me lose a lot of weight! I would pick 3 or 4 easy fast recipes and rotate them. And then stop thinking about what to eat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    diontre840 wrote: »
    Any tips on cooking better. I have tried to cook many things such as chicken, beef, fish and I can only make 1 healthy recipe for each. It gets really boring having that stuff every week so I go to fast food which is terrible for my body. Any recipes for chicken, beef, turkey, and any fish?
    YouTube links to Pan Seared Fish
    YouTube links to Pan Seared Chicken
    YouTube links to Pan Seared Beef

My sincerest tip is, Don't focus on recipes. Master a relatively few number of cooking techniques instead.
    • An obvious starting point is Pan Seared Protein since it addresses the three specific requests in your post.
    • Next maybe Roasting vegetables because it's delicious, simple, and nearly foolproof.
    • You will also want to be able Saute vegetables. Then saute combinations of vegetables. Learning to Blanch and Shock will improve your sauteed veggies.
    • Learn what a Braise is why you want to brown first, then slow cook.
    • Learn to make Emulsions. Now you can make vinaigrettes, creamy salad dressings, even mayonnaise and aioli.
    • Slow Roast poultry, beef and pork roasts. Maybe start with a simple chicken.
    There are more, but not lots and lots more. This is doable for anyone who is interested in cooking better. In a season you could learn 10 or 12 techniques that would make cooking more fun and rewarding and you will acquire skills that will last, and be improved upon, your whole life. With these tools in your kit you aren't tied to recipes. You'll still use them, but not in the same way. They will make sense so you can adapt and modify them to suit your needs and interests.

This is the road less traveled. You see literally millions of recipes out there. Many of them are click-bait. Many are outright plagiarized or modified slightly to make it unique for no purpose. If you set out to find the cookbooks, TV shows, and YouTube channels that use recipes to demonstrate basic techniques you won't have to hunt down a recipe every time you want to cook something a little different.

I cook alot and this poster is spot on. Excellent. Learn about the things he listed, and how to do them--one at a time. Then you're good to go and can experiment and expand on your own. It's easy to find recipes, but you have to have some basic knowlege and skill. Cooking is fun. You will be amazed at what you can do. Best of luck and bon appetite.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipe sites, cookbooks, magazines and blogs where you can find recipes for those things. Healthy is a vague term. Search for more specific things like low calorie, low sugar, low sodium, etc recipes instead.

I find food ideas on Pinterest a lot.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food

I have a few American Heart Association cookbooks and the recipes I have tried are tasty. https://recipes.heart.org/categories/31/delicious-decisions

If you are a beginner cook a basic cookbook like Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, How to Cook Everything or a cookbook aimed at kids could be helpful.
    https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/54612/10-beginner-cookbooks/
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    In my opinion healthy = balanced and varied. Eating enough to fuel my day and getting adequate nutrition.

As long as you are meeting your calorie goal for weight loss (presumably given the forum you posted in) and getting the nutrition you need from your food, there are literally thousands of different recipes that can form part of a healthy diet.

Use the recipe builder in MFP, accurately log everything you use as an ingredient if it has calories, particularly oils.

I find it really helpful to have food prepped ahead of time to prevent the temptation of reaching for fast food (although again the odd fast food meal isn't going to kill you if your overall diet is well balanced). That way when I get in from work I only have to cook something through in 20 mins or reheat it. I normally have a couple of different meals in the fridge/freezer from meal prep sessions.

For example this week I have:
    • Saag Paneer (Spinach, onion and coconut cream with pan fried tofu (can't get paneer locally) and spices) will probably have this for dinner 2 nights, lunch on Friday and freeze the rest for another week. I had some last night with Turmeric spiced roast potatoes
    • Tonight I am having a simple pan fried chicken with some steamed veg and gravy.
    • Shredded slow cooked chicken breasts, used to make Chicken & Sweetcorn Pasta for lunch
    • Broccoli & Blue Cheese Soup, used 2 portions for lunch this week and have frozen the rest.
    • At the weekend I usually have an omelette or poached eggs for brunch and I am planning on making Crispy KFC style chicken (Baked not Fried) on Friday night, I will likely make some sort of meal prep recipe on Saturday like Salmon Fishcakes or maybe some homemade burgers - I normally do this on a Sunday but I am eating out with friends instead.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Try a new recipe every week! Experiment with different herbs and seasonings. There are plenty of recipe websites out there. My favourites are:

seriouseats.com (they have some great articles on the science of cooking, techniques, etc.)
    allrecipes.com (lots of tried and tested recipes)
    skinnytaste.com (lighter recipes with focus on dietary needs)
    budgetbytes.com (cheap eats)
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I eat a lot of grilled chicken and rice with veggies. I eat pretty boring and same day to day. It helped me lose a lot of weight! I would pick 3 or 4 easy fast recipes and rotate them. And then stop thinking about what to eat.

This would cause me to fail. Variety is important to me. I need different flavors and textures, and besides, eating with variety is a proven way to maximize nutrition. Yes, green veggies are good for you. But so are red, yellow, orange, purple, and white vegetables. Yes, turkey and chicken give you protein, but beef gives you protein with more iron. And with all the variety of flavors available in worldwide cuisines from which I can learn to cook at least a few simple dishes, why would I eat the same boring stuff over and over?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    My best cooking tip...Dont overcomplicate it. Food is food you dont need huge fancy recipes with a million ingredients. Just make food. Yum.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is your friend...
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Find recipes you like. Realize that some meals take patience and preparation to cook. And PRACTICE. That's unfortunately the only way to get better at cooking.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Learn your techniques as per oldhobo, then learn how to read a recipe, as long as your meal contains, vegetables, protein and carbs in appropriate proportions and the portion size is suitable for you it's going to be healthy enough.