Apparently eating healthy has a weight limit

Options
I am getting so sick of people telling me that I shouldn't be trying to control my eating cause I'm "not fat". I'm trying to recover from a year and a half of a sedetary lifestyle where I lost a lot of muscle mass and gained 30 pounds. I am aware that I'm not fat. (5'4" 146 pounds) But I am not where I want to be, and I'm working to change that, but I feel like I have to keep it a secret because everyone that finds out about it makes fun of me for it. "You aren't fat! Just eat a doughnut! Do you want some of mine so you know what it's like to actually be fat?" I ignore it, and will continue to do my thing, so this is mostly just a rant. I was SOOO very proud of my body 2 years ago when I was 123 pounds of muscle, and I feel happier than I have for a long time, knowing that I'm working my way back there again. It just gets so old hearing the same discouraging comments from everyone. Ok, rant over, I feel a lot better now, lol.

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating a healthy amount of calories and following a sensible program for controlling your eating, I shouldn't worry about the opinion of sheep.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Meh...people are ignorant and think that healthy eating is all about losing weight...healthy eating is about getting solid nutrition and your health.

I've been in maintenance for years and people still comment on the food I eat, going to the gym, riding my bike, etc...because they associate all of those things with weight loss rather than health and fitness.

I'm not too worried about it...I can easily ride 50 miles on a Saturday whereas they can barely climb a flight of stairs...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ignore them.

But also, what do you mean people find out about you eating healthy?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Dont discuss your business with others this is yours and yours alone!
    No more blabbering!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meh...people are ignorant and think that healthy eating is all about losing weight

agree
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am getting so sick of people telling me that I shouldn't be trying to control my eating cause I'm "not fat". I'm trying to recover from a year and a half of a sedetary lifestyle where I lost a lot of muscle mass and gained 30 pounds. I am aware that I'm not fat. (5'4" 146 pounds) But I am not where I want to be, and I'm working to change that, but I feel like I have to keep it a secret because everyone that finds out about it makes fun of me for it. "You aren't fat! Just eat a doughnut! Do you want some of mine so you know what it's like to actually be fat?" I ignore it, and will continue to do my thing, so this is mostly just a rant. I was SOOO very proud of my body 2 years ago when I was 123 pounds of muscle, and I feel happier than I have for a long time, knowing that I'm working my way back there again. It just gets so old hearing the same discouraging comments from everyone. Ok, rant over, I feel a lot better now, lol.

How do people 'find out'? And what exactly is there to find out? That you don't eat doughnuts?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    OP, I am curious about where you live. This would really be abnormal where I am.

In the US, a ranking of healthiest and least-healthy states came out today. One has to wonder how much attitudes about healthy practices might vary from place to place. cnn.com/2017/12/12/health/2017-health-disparities-report/index.html
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    People are so accustomed to seeing others overweight that they don't recognize what a healthy weight is or why someone would like to have it. And some are just uncomfortable with seeing someone else strive for a goal. Let your mind take over and brush their comments off.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You know this, but, there are a lot of factors that come into being healthy. Some that we can control, and others that we have no control over.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing what we can to be healthy, and that includes being at a healthy weight and exercising.
    Keep on doing what you are doing, and try to ignore the negative comments.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I use the excuse that diabetes runs in my family, so I have to watch my sugar intake. I have no idea if that's true or not (it probably isn't), but neither do most people. They tend to leave me alone about eating donuts after that, though.
  • artsyfoxx
    artsyfoxx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ignore those haters, many people don't realize that thin people wish to be healthy too. Being fat or thin doesn't define health.

You keep up the good work and reach your goal!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I had an old flatmate who would laugh and say I was obsessed with calories yet he'd whinge constantly that he couldn't get abs but would try anything except address his diet (Once he did a 10-day juice cleanse).
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    We all have secrets.