What to do about those night time cravings?

Options
Night time is like doomsday for me. I crave EVERYTHING in the house. I will go on a monster binge and eat eat eat. I have always had late night cravings. I eat enough during the day. what do you do to curb those cravings?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i make sure i have net 0 by 4pm then i go crazy at night :P hahah
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I've actually considered not eating all day just to fulfill my night time cravings. Sooo sad :(
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If it gets too bad, I just go to bed and put and end to it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you get cravings to eat at night, move your calories around or just leave a couple hundred so you can eat one or two things a couple hours before bedtime. I've been doing this so I can have a fruit bar or something else LIGHT (100 calories or less) a couple hours before bed. Cravings have to be controlled. Being hungry means you're not eating right so really, if it's a craving, it's all about willpower. Don't keep crap in your house (I know you got rid of it - so doesn't apply here, I'm hoping) and snack on something healthy for you when you get hungry as long as you have calories available.
  • dmaster555
    Options

I've actually considered not eating all day just to fulfill my night time cravings. Sooo sad :(

There's nothing wrong with not eating all day and fulfilling calorie goals at night. That's called a controlled fast and is perfectly fine. It does not matter what time you eat. What matters is the amount of calories you get in before it's time to sleep. That is all.
  • kikiroo
    kikiroo Posts: 2
    Options
    Having something that takes time to consume helps me with night time cravings. For example, I eat yogurt or drink hot tea if I have cravings. I always allow myself to eat as much fruit as I want because it takes time to eat and it is good for you. If I don't feel like eating fruit, then it means that I am not really hungry.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm such a night time snacker... So I save 1-200 calories for after dinner. I can eat something small if I want, or take the extra calories as a bonus.
  • htdavidson
    Options
    I usually have some fruit, or a bowl of whole grain cereal, or a low fat cheese stick but still feel guilty about eating it. I have learned not to keep foods that trigger a really bad binge like ice cream or donuts. I've also found that the Yoplait Chocolate Whips have helped some with my evening sweet tooth cravings.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of green tea, it soothes the cravings for me
  • pounds_farewell
    Options
    I eat one teaspoon of lemon flavored fish oil every day. I am amazed at how much that helps me with my cravings. I also keep a big ziploc bag of cut jicama in my refrigerator. If I MUST eat at night, I put some lemon juice and sometimes cayenne pepper on it, and that's what I eat, drink some water and then I leave the kitchen!! It's real cruncy, filling, and lots of fiber.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Here is a potential option for you.

http://www.warriordiet.com/
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I want the last bit of Blackberry Wine but instead of having it, I'm making my husband drink it! I guess I can always give him a good kiss afterwards to get a taste of it! ;P
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Tea. :) During the day I drink a crap load of cold green tea (I drink that instead of water) and at night I'll indulge in a cup or two of chai tea (with a bit of sugar and milk...only way to to drink chai!). Once I get bored of that I'll just drink some black tea probably...I have strawberry vanilla black tea and mango black tea and peach and plenty of other really delicious kinds.
  • Molldoll0702
    Molldoll0702 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What does lemon flavor fish oil do? hadnt heard of this before...am interested to find out about it.

Thanks.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use my exercise calories to eat a high fibre bowl of cereals- usually porridge or fruit & fibre. If you eat sugary or small snacky things you'll just want more.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I go to bed.
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I CAN'T STAND to go to bed hungry! I just don't sleep well at all. I can get kinda crazy though on my late night snacking. Last eve I had 75 calories of scrambled egg beaters wrapped in a 100 calorie whole grain tortilla with salsa and fat free sour cream. YUM! VERY FILLING for only 200 calories! That or a bowl of weight control oatmeal for 160 calories. My urge to eat snacky foods is less if I fill up on a mini meal an hour or so before bed.
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    I keep blueberry rooibos tea around for this. I have a bigger sweet tooth than a savory one so it's very helpful. For times when it's reveresed and I really could go for some chip like snacks, I make Kale chips and either sprinkle sea salt or nutritional yeast. So good!
  • PriorGodwyn
    Options
    I click the button on my diary that says to finish my entry for the day. Right after dinner I do that, and it somehow gets me believing that it is just a fact that there will be no more eating until tomorrow. It seems to work, because after dinner I don't eat until the next day, and I have no problem with it.

Do you get hungry at night, or is it more a mental thing?
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    I always have some one cup size diet jellies in the fridge. I often have one just as I head to bed because it fills me up enough to fall asleep, and at 14 calories it won't ruin my days efforts.