Mini Pizzas: 106 cals each!!

Options
a_stronger_steph
a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
I bought a mozzarella cheese ball the other day, wanting some cheese to melt onto my pasta. It's a part skim mozza cheese ball, nice and fresh, from Longo's. 28g has 100 calories... not the best as far as cheese goes, but not the worst either.

So I was thinking about what else I could use with nice, soft mozza that melts so beautifully. And, well, what else comes to mind but pizza? But my partner is away for the week and I didn't want to go through the trouble of actually making a pizza, or making the delicious and healthy cauli-crust recipe that's floating around on these forums and elsewhere.

Instead, I ended up using those flat, 100-calorie buns as my "crust" - which means the crust for each of these mini-pizzas is only 50 calories each! Woo!

I made four tonight, for a grand total of 424 calories for dinner. Here it is:

2 "Pita Break One Bun Multigrain 100 calorie" buns, or similar
2 tbsp tomato paste, tomato sauce, or pizza sauce (I used a tomato passata that I had leftover from pasta)
56g part-skim mozzarella cheese
4 medium mushrooms (or other preferred pizza topping of your choice - pepperoni and meats will add more calories)

Spread the tomato sauce over "outer" part of the pitas (if you spread it in the inner side, it gets absorbed very quickly).
Add seasonings (basil, oregano, garlic, etc) if desired.
Break apart your cheese and spread evenly across the four bun ends.
Add your chopped mushrooms or other topping.
Put into toaster oven - toast!

Take out when cheese is melted and toppings are cooked to your liking.

Enjoy!

(Breakdown for this recipe: 424 calories total, 43g carbs, 16g fat, 31g protein, 728 mg sodium)

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    I bought a mozzarella cheese ball the other day, wanting some cheese to melt onto my pasta. It's a part skim mozza cheese ball, nice and fresh, from Longo's. 28g has 100 calories... not the best as far as cheese goes, but not the worst either.

So I was thinking about what else I could use with nice, soft mozza that melts so beautifully. And, well, what else comes to mind but pizza? But my partner is away for the week and I didn't want to go through the trouble of actually making a pizza, or making the delicious and healthy cauli-crust recipe that's floating around on these forums and elsewhere.

Instead, I ended up using those flat, 100-calorie buns as my "crust" - which means the crust for each of these mini-pizzas is only 50 calories each! Woo!

I made four tonight, for a grand total of 424 calories for dinner. Here it is:

2 "Pita Break One Bun Multigrain 100 calorie" buns, or similar
    2 tbsp tomato paste, tomato sauce, or pizza sauce (I used a tomato passata that I had leftover from pasta)
    56g part-skim mozzarella cheese
    4 medium mushrooms (or other preferred pizza topping of your choice - pepperoni and meats will add more calories)

Spread the tomato sauce over "outer" part of the pitas (if you spread it in the inner side, it gets absorbed very quickly).
    Add seasonings (basil, oregano, garlic, etc) if desired.
    Break apart your cheese and spread evenly across the four bun ends.
    Add your chopped mushrooms or other topping.
    Put into toaster oven - toast!

Take out when cheese is melted and toppings are cooked to your liking.

Enjoy!

(Breakdown for this recipe: 424 calories total, 43g carbs, 16g fat, 31g protein, 728 mg sodium)

I love pizza :) thanks for sharing
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good idea!! I love seeing other people's recipes!
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm always wanting pizza! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    That's an awesome idea!

I use a whole wheat pita (160) with 2 tbsp pasta or marinara sauce, cheese and hormel's turkey pepperoni (17 slices for 70 calories... yum!) Bake it in the toaster oven till its crispy.

Love when people share their recipes!!!!

Thanks for the new idea..
  • SammieRae43
    SammieRae43 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump