How often do you exercise?

Options
I'm wondering how often everyone here exercises...I'm a bit conflicted on what to do. My lazy nature tells me that if I don't get up and exercise *every* day I'll never keep the habit. My muscles are quietly weeping telling me it's time to take a break.

I have been doing some sort of 30 minute circuit video with light weights in the morning (one of the biggest loser bootcamps or some such), and another 30 minute walk away the pounds segment for cardio in the evening. Maybe just take a morning of light cardio so I can keep the schedule up but get a lil break? What do you guys think...and how'd you figure out how much exercise is right for you?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    twice a day.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Every day. For at least an hour.
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week for about an hour a day, I do cardio workouts with Jillian Michaels which are 30 day shred, Bannish Fat, Boost metablisom and her 6 week 6 pack ab and the eliptical machine. I switch them around. Its up to u and your body tells u. Good Luck:)
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    My workouts vary... if I really can't be bothered one day, I don't. Obviously I don't make this a habit every day :P This week for example, I worked out Monday & Tuesday, then really just wanted to go home on Wednesday, then back to a work out on Thursday. I make my decision based on what day it is (because I weigh in on Saturdays), what food I've consumed that day and how many calories I've had over the week. As long as I'm on my way to staying below 8,400 I'm not at all hard on myself if I miss a day or two. It's a change in your lifestyle, so it shouldn't feel like a chore going to the gym :)
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Atleast 6 days a week between an hour and an hour and a half. My trainer says days off are good for your body, it is when your muscles grow!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There is no harm in taking a break -- overtraining can be a very bad thing. If you're worried about keeping the momentum going, you could just do a very light exercise day instead of your usual routine.

I exercise ~6 days a week.
  • budkow
    budkow Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm targeting 3x a week for 60 minutes. I know myself, and if I set a goal I can't attain I'll get frustrated and just give up. If I'm able to maintain 3x a week, I'll add more days as time permits. Guess I'm the slacker of the replies so far. :smile:
  • climbingpanda
    climbingpanda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I exercise 13 days out of 14 alternating doing weights work every other day. As it's the school holidays I'll tend to spend between two and three hours working out, but when I go back to school it'll drop to between one and two hours on weekdays.

Everybody is different though and the key thing is that you listen to your body and don't over-train.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week for 45min +
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    5 days a week, 2 days of rest
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday , 5 days a week I do 1 hour of weights + 20 mins treadmill and at the weekends I play golf

:happy:
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week 50-60 min a day.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, 2 - 3 times a day. The third workout is C25K.......I like running in the evening because I live in the desert and it's too hot other wise.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week total used time depending on what kind of work-out.

Intensity training typically 1-1½ hours including warm-up and cooldown)
    Weight/muscle typically 1 hour (including warm-up)
    Volume training (low intensity like walking or light biking 1½-3 hours)

Always remember that you should plan you training realistically - if you think that 5-6 work-outs might burn you mentally then aim lower and then increase frequency if you feel you can handle it.

It's better to work-out 2-3 times a week and keep at it than 5-6 times a week and end up dropping it all because you can't sustain it.
  • moderntimes
    Options
    I think it must depend on how old you are and your general physical condition. A 20-year-old will be able to work out for longer and more often than someone in their fifties or sixties with joint problems, like me.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Here's my schedule:

M, W, F - 30 Min Cardio + 30 Min Strength
    T - 50 Min Personal Training + 30 Min Cardio + Zumba
    Th - 50 Min Personal Training + 30 Min Cardio
    Sa - Boot Camp
    Su - Rest, but Active

However, I do listen to my body. If it's telling me to slow down a bit, I slow down.
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    7 days a week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday is running (10 km / about 60 minutes). Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday is Swimming (about 2 km / 60 minutes). Thinking about adding some gym as well, cause I feel my legs and lower body gets much more exercise than my upper body/arms.

/k
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    unless my body tells me I need an additional off day (and, when it does, I listen), I go 3 days on, 1 day off. Most of my work-outs are 30ish minutes.
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do 3 runs a week and 1 or 2 DVDs like 30day shred and then 2 days off :smile:
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    Aw man, I thought I was being hardcore, then I see your routines!

Mine is generally:

Mon: Walk to and from work (20mins each way) and 30DS when I get home (25mins)
    Tue: Walk to and from work (20mins each way) and Kickboxing (90mins)
    Wed: Walk to and from work (20mins each way) and 30DS when I get home (25mins) OR Ceroc/modern jive dancing (3 hours)
    Thu: Walk to and from work (20mins each way) and Kickboxing (90mins)
    Fri: Walk to and from work (20mins each way) and 30DS when I get home (25mins)
    Sat: 30DS
    Sun:30DS

Might have a rest day in there. Probably should. Only just properly started this routine this week. And I don't really count walking as exercise tbh cos I'm not doing it as 'exercise'. I'm doing it as getting to work/home.