Cancer

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My mother is on chemo right now for breast cancer. Her dr said being overweight can increase your chances of getting it. So that is some great motivation for me!

Please feel free to add me, I'm a pretty cheerful person in general!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    thanks all, I am ok going through this, it is my Kids and wife I ache for, they have to sit by and watch me fight this. My kids friends are all "part of our family" as we are the family where the kids feel at ease, can hang out, and have fun....they all know I have this now, the awkwardness is evident, I am trying to lighten things up. It will be a long and grueling process I understand that.

Those whom have had cancer, did you try and work out strength wise help keep some muscle mass? or were you just to fatigue? Nutrition wise any advice?

So, I used to have RIDICULOUSLY thick hair, and I would shed a LOT. My husband had said he'd help me shave my hair if/when it started coming out from the chemo. So when I noticed it, I told him it was time to cut it off, and then shave the rest. And... he kind of balked at it. Asked if I wasn't being premature, if it wasn't just typical shedding. He was really resistant until I finally reached up, ran my fingers through my hair, and produced a thick handful of what came out and said, "THIS is not typical." So we went out to the back porch, I leaned over the railing, and he took a pair of shears to my hair. It looked pretty silly because it was so uneven, but he looked at me and started to tear up. He said, "This is the first really visible evidence I've seen of how sick you are." It was SO HARD seeing him upset, and there wasn't really much I could do about it.

I didn't really work out any differently when I was going through chemo or radiation than I had before... which is to say, not much at all! Nutritionally, I always suggest eating what makes you feel good - things that make you want to get better. That's going to vary from person to person.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    my chest has been hurting lately, I guess I am over stressing as I wait to take my PET scan tomorrow and have the board meeting on Tuesday and Radiation "fitting" on Wednesday. I guess this I normal, tight chest, nightmares. etc.

any calming tactics you have used to get by this without drugs?
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Praying and laughing... I did alot of both. Walk if you can as well, great mood boost and clears your head. Find someone to talk to, outside of your family, someone who isn't emotionally invested in you and won't panic if you tell them how you really feel. I had a Macmillan cancer nurse who was my rock during and following treatment. She was the only one who ever saw me cry, I kept a brave face for my family at all times and I'm sure you're doing the same. But you can't keep all your fear bottled up... That can cause chest pain and nightmares :D Feel free to add me if you need to chat.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it is very normal. I felt the same way. The entire world as you know it has been turned on end. My health care provider had on-line relaxation videos that helped me a lot. If you aren't able to sleep, drugs might be a short-term answer.

Laughing for sure--dumb movies helped me a lot--Will Ferrell. Also old Saturday Night Live youtube videos.

• mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you are very welcome. Glad your bp is normal and the lab work is good. Keeping you in my thoughts.
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    It's reassuring to hear it hasn't spread. Keep us posted. Thinking of you too :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your numbers are looking great! Hang in there!
  • MellowGa
    Options
    OK the fitting is done, we are all set, we are going to start the treatment on Jan 3rd, this way I can visit my family in the North east for Christmas. So things are getting ready to role my friends.
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    OK the fitting is done, we are all set, we are going to start the treatment on Jan 3rd, this way I can visit my family in the North east for Christmas. So things are getting ready to role my friends.

That's great, you can enjoy Christmas and then kick a s s in Jan
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Hi to you, treated for breast ca earlier this year (lumpectomy & radiation, now on hormone blockers). Went to the gym a day after surgery, figured could still use the lower half. Kept going thru radiation tho no swimming due to the chlorine. Any exercise will help you feel better and maintain a more positive mental attitude. Keep up as much of your routine as possible to feel normal. Yes it's the big C but that's not automatic death anymore. Think about your bucket list items - I'm swimming Alcatraz next year - where do you want to do, try? You have a future! Once all the treatment starts just keep going forward.
    Share what you are going through, it helps. This too will pass
    Add me if you'd like.
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    Hi to you, treated for breast ca earlier this year (lumpectomy & radiation, now on hormone blockers). Went to the gym a day after surgery, figured could still use the lower half. Kept going thru radiation tho no swimming due to the chlorine. Any exercise will help you feel better and maintain a more positive mental attitude. Keep up as much of your routine as possible to feel normal. Yes it's the big C but that's not automatic death anymore. Think about your bucket list items - I'm swimming Alcatraz next year - where do you want to do, try? You have a future! Once all the treatment starts just keep going forward.
    Share what you are going through, it helps. This too will pass
    Add me if you'd like.

He's having chemotherapy as well as radiation, which can make you feel very ill. Hopefully not but I think doing what he feels well enough to do is the best advice and if that's nothing then do nothing and rest
  • MellowGa
    Options
    Yep surgery was ruled out due to the location of the tumors, it has to be radiation five days a week and one day of chemo per week
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I’m sending positive thoughts your way!
  • cjbaker38
    cjbaker38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm pulling for you. I had Colon Cancer. I got lucky they caught it early.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    <3 you have got this. I'm so glad to see so many supportive people in this thread. FWIW, I had HPV - they caught it at the stage 0 so ... from what I understand (and the whole experience was awful so forgive me if i mess up any terms) the stage right before cancer. I am constantly on my husband about being aware of any signs of cancer because he was a smoker up to 3 years ago, but it terrifies me that he could end up with cancer from this.

It sounds like you have a good team of doctors. Good luck and I'm rooting for you.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,851 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi there Mellow~~

I've just done battle with breast cancer--bilateral mastectomy, axial disection, chemo, radiation, reconstruction.

This caught my eye:
    You posted:
    "so the big challenge so far is sleeping, my tumor makes sleeping very difficult breathing wise, just a ton of pressure and the loudest snoring because I am gasping for breathe and extremely dry mouth. So I have positioned my pillows so now basically I sleep in an upright position, this seems to be working for me...and my wife, we are both getting more sleep, I still wake up and snore, but not as often and getting longer then 20 min intervals, getting a few hours each now."

Please look into getting a CPAP or BiPAP--some sort of breathing machine for nighttime. They are wonderful. A CPAP will stop all your snoring, and it has a built-in humidifier. I swear by mine. Ask your GP, cardiologist, or oncologist about getting a sleep study to fit you up for one. I know you are dealing with the cancer now, but I urge you to investigate getting one. You'll be able to sleep flat again!

Also, Mem. Sloan Kettering offers its breast cancer patients the generic of Ativan during the months of treatment. This drug serves three purposes: anti-nausea, sleep-aid, and anti-anxiety.
    Ask your oncologist about this.

Healing vibes coming your way~~

Lana
  • MellowGa
    Options
    Thanks lana, I don't think I need the CPAP machine I have fellow Scout leaders that have it, but I think mine is just due the tumor deforming my airway, it is right at the back of the throat, so I am not sure if they would give me a CPAP machine for a few months.

I did not snore six months ago, but I will certainly enquire.

Someone also mention the Ativan, I will check with my wife as she is a pharmacist