How to measure items like Croutons?

Options

Replies

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Glad you realized it now! don't worry! better late than never!
  • aregamboa
    aregamboa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread but I got a good way to "eyeball" your crouton intake. If the bag says that there are 20 servings total and the calorie count is 30 per serving, then we're looking at 600 cal total for the entire bag...so how many parts of the bag did you have???
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    aregamboa wrote: »
    This is an old thread but I got a good way to "eyeball" your crouton intake. If the bag says that there are 20 servings total and the calorie count is 30 per serving, then we're looking at 600 cal total for the entire bag...so how many parts of the bag did you have???

But bag weights and serving quantities are usually not accurate.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    mine have a serving size in grams, it says 6g per serving. Ends up being 6 croutons most of the time. The most accurate way is to weigh :)
  • shoofluff
    shoofluff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know I am super late to this convo but I have to say THANK YOU for asking this! I had the exact same question!
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed per crouton with those because of the size and the fact they are soaked in fat before cooking. But if you crush them up and sprinkle them on it helps them go a long way and adds flavor to the salad.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Texas toast will get ya every time. It's FULL of butter/oil. SO tasty, though.
    I'd be willing to bet that the generic/Caesar salad croutons are a little lighter on the calories.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    There has to be a log in the database where you can just count the croutons and log how many you have eaten.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I love croutons. I can eat them right out of the bag. With peanut butter, even better. I just did that to the tune of 700 calories worth the other day.

I weigh them. Doesn't deter my ravenous intake, unfortunately.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A saltine is 12-15 calories, and not soaked in butter and fried - so 35 calories for 1 very large Texas crouton is not an unreasonable guess.

My best guess to get a somewhat decent estimate, since they don't list a serving size weight, would be to divide the total weight of the package by the estimated number of servings.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh them.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My texas toast croutons says serving size 7g. i have regular ones too it also says 2 tablespoons (7 grams).
  • iiswansongii
    iiswansongii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you! All these years later and I too had this question today and found this thread! 6 croutons it is!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    damn the old thread got me
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I hate when I read over half a post before realizing it's a zombie thread.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    2 tablespoons is equal to 1 ounce on the scale. So just weigh the croutons. It's definitely more than 2! More like 10 depending on size of the crouton! Everyone loves croutons! Enjoy them!

That conversion will only work for aqueous liquids given waters density is close to 1 gram per mL. It will not work for croutons at all. A crouton is going to be considerably less dense than water so your method would way overestimate how many croutons are in a serving likely by several times.

If you use 1 ounce as being 2 tablespoons for non-liquids you might want to check your numbers again.
  • FaydraSearle
    FaydraSearle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I saw on a Texas Toast message board somewhere, they said 2 of their croutons is a serving, so Im guilty of no less than 3 servings every salad. CoraGregorys bag measurements were accurate. I've learned that it doesn't matter if it tells us its zero calories, companies determine these calories and nutrients with something called a bomb calorimeter - So to figure out this croutons caloric content - they placed this crouton in a container- surrounded it by water - and heat up the water until the food burns away, how quickly the food disintegrates is apparently how quickly our bodies would digest it - which is absolutely nutty to me, and of course I'm giving you the very light explanation, I am not an expert, lol.. Anyway, from what I know.. If it's crap food, we should be eating as little as possible. lolol.. So Guestimate on the HIGH END. I like texas toasts cause you can take six of them and easily make 12..