I took Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides and I feel like I mainlined 8 coffees. Is this normal?

Options
I bought Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides on a whim on Amazon, after looking up remedies for eye bags. I thought it sounded like an amazing product, if it works-- and as someone with joint pain, apparently it's supposed to help with that.

I took half a dose (one scoop) on day 1. I felt a crazy surge of energy, culminating in me not going to sleep until after 4 am. I looked at the label and realize the product is made of "bovine hide". Whoops, I'm a vegetarian.

The next day I take it again, earlier in the day, and am similarly filled with crazy energy, like I'd taken speed or something. But I went to bed on time.

I don't mind the extra energy, but is this normal?? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the Amazon reviews. I'm thinking it could be my vegetarian lifestyle of about 8 years leaving me undernourished, and maybe the powder gave me some sort of nutrient boost. Or maybe I'm allergic. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not an expert on collagen peptides, but my initial research shows that the nutrients in it are mainly protein. The protein is made up of specific amino acids, all of which are available to you as a vegetarian. Now your particular vegetarian diet may not be balanced -- I have no idea. But there is nothing specifically about being vegetarian that would mean this product would supply you with nutrients you were not getting before.

Even if it did, experiencing an immediate burst of energy from consuming nutrients isn't something that typically happens. Even if you were under-nourished, your body would take time to process the protein. You wouldn't feel an immediate burst of energy from it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was speed?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Maybe it was speed?

I don't know anything about this company or product, but if I took a supplement and immediately felt "a crazy surge of energy," (that couldn't be attributed to the ingredients listed) I would worry about unlisted ingredients/possible contamination. It isn't unheard of with supplements.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides for a long time and have never experienced anything like that.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sugar and caffeine is my initial reaction to this story, knowing absolutely nothing about it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I have been taking Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides for a long time and have never experienced anything like that.

Demand a refund!

Doesn't the label have a cow on it and say "grass fed"? How could finding out it contains animal product surprise you?
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Demand a refund!

Doesn't the label have a cow on it and say "grass fed"? How could finding out it contains animal product surprise you?

LOL! It does. I checked. It also says "pasture raised", so I'm amazed anyone could think it was suitable for vegetarians.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Demand a refund!

LOL! It does. I checked. It also says "pasture raised", so I'm amazed anyone could think it was suitable for vegetarians.

Maybe OP thought it came from dairy?
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Demand a refund!

Maybe OP thought it came from dairy?

Yep-- I saw the cow and assumed it was dairy-related! I don't really mind bending my vegetarianism for things like supplements though-- I've taken vitamins/medicine in the past with some animal-product in them. It's not a huge deal to me to drink this cow-juice.

• krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Now that I think of it, I've had this reaction at other times with vitamin B-12 (I took it once and was off-the-walls until 4 am; unfortunately, that energy blast went away after a couple days of doses, when I guess my body got used to it). I've been taking the collagen peptide for about 4 days now and I feel basically normal at this point (but still way more energetic than usual).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The b 12 reaction makes sense, the vegetarian diet can leave you low in b12 because it is more accessible from animal products. I can't say I had a rush of energy when I started b12 supplementing, wish I had, giggle. For me it provided some much needed relief of symptoms. The one I take gave the information, it you are on too high a does it shows up in your urine. I agree there can be times when one needs to look after yourself first and be vegetarian after.