Is it okay if my body feels sore?

Options
irenecatarina
irenecatarina Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey! Im new to the gym, just did my 2nd day ytd. I already felt sore all over my body when i woke up the next morning after doing my 1st day at the gym. Now, its gonna be my 3rd day at the gym consequently, but my body still feels sore. What should i do? Should i stop? Thanks! xx

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel sore but this could be a sign of too much too fast. Or too much of the same muscle group.

Remember muscles need to recover and heal to grow.

It is totally ok to work out every other day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Consider going every other day to give you body a chance to adapt. Try that for a month, then start increasing the frequency by 1 day a week if you want to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, rest days are as important as your training days. Don't go from 0 days in the gym to 6 days a week or you're likely to burn out fast.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What should i do?

Build up slowly.
    Give your body time to adjust and recover.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im new to the gym, just did my 2nd day ytd. I already felt sore all over my body when i woke up the next morning after doing my 1st day at the gym. Now, its gonna be my 3rd day at the gym consequently, but my body still feels sore. What should i do? Should i stop? Thanks! xx

No you shouldn't stop, but you take a rest day or two. It's taken me 2 years to build up to training 6 days a week, if I'd gone from nothing to every day it would have half killed me. You also need to learn to listen to your body, there's a big difference from aching sore from DOMS and actual pain sore from over training or injury.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    what you've got is probably doms - delayed onset muscle soreness.

my first bout of it lasted for more than a week - but i way overestimated myself when i dived in. it's not fatal, but it does take a while to fade out. it gets less, so don't panic yet. just take it easy-ish until you feel you've recovered from it.

once i'm 'seasoned' it comes much less often and when it does it's usually way less intense and only lasts for a day or two.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ease into things and build your fitness... going from nothing to everyday isn't really a good idea
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What should i do?

Build up slowly.
    Give your body time to adjust and recover.

This.

It's the rest and recovery where you get stronger.

(...and I hate rest days; hate'em ! )
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wait till your my age. pain is pleasure. keep it going!
  • freakovv
    freakovv Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i did weighed pullups for the first time and my lats are aching badly. I can barely raise my hands as it engages my lats. Nothing to worry tho it happens when you shock your muscles and it will go away.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of going to the gym. You’ll adapt quickly, but give your body the rest and nutrition it needs to do so. The soreness is the imflamation of your muscle cells. Water, rest, and food will help with that.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for awhile, but started a new program this week. I have really sore calves. Happily, today is upper body day. Tonight I will take a long soak in epsom salts, roll out those muscles, and sleep in compression socks. If they aren't better by tomorrow, I will roll my Friday workout over to Saturday for an extra day of healing.