"Healthy" Ready Meals

Options
I've seen quite a few nice microwave meals claiming to be "healthy". They're low in calories. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these and did you lose weight? Are they low in calories but packed with sugar?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    sugar, sodium, and carbs... ick! All overly processed and terrible D:

when you make a meal, make some extra! Then freeze the rest for quick ready made meals :]
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Some of the weight watchers ones are very nice and perfect for me when I get home from work and cannot be bothered cooking - I recommend the chicken and mushroom pasta, the beef lasagna and the prawn pasta!

I always add in some veges to make them a bit more filling...
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    Most are OK so long as you eat them in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Most of the food I eat is low in sodium or sodium free, and also very low carb, so I can have them a couple of times a week and still lose weight relatively easily.

Morrisons do AMAZING low cal ready meals. Their Chilli with Wedges is lush and really low cal, way under 300 cals and very filling. The Chicken in Tomato and Basil Sauce with Potatoes is also fantastic and, again, under 300 cals a portion (add some green veg to liven up and add variety if needed although often I don't bother). And their low fat Lasagne is better than any of the full fat ready lasagnes we've tried from anywhere else.

Sainsburys do a nice Chicken Tikka Masala and a lovely Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni.

The above are just our favourites but there are plenty more out there to try!

The key is in moderation- don't make them too much of a habit but we always have a couple in the fridge or freezer in case we need them.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The problem with most microwave meals are.....they aren't completely food. I like the Amy's meals, but they are more costly. I have another friend who eats the steamfresh meals, which are good (Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine makes these). However, when eating microwave meals, I would use my body's reaction as a judge. After eating a meal, if you are still hungry in an hour, this is not a good sign. Most microwave meals, I have found, leave me hungry because they have a lot of additives and non foods in them, so I am eating cardboard, and my body isn't stupid so it usually figures this out pretty quickly. Also, when I am hungry, one of two things will happen: 1) I eat more because I am starving, or 2) I don't lose weight because my body is holding on to all of my fat stores.

If microwave meals don't work, I would cook a butt load of pasta, veggies, and some type of meat at the beginning of the week or make sandwiches and have fruit, yogurt (or both) on the side. For snacks, almonds and cheese is filling, and just make sure to get plenty of water in. Cook for dinner, even if it is grilled cheese sandwiches.
    By eating real food, you will be less hungry and see results:)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Here are quick recipes:

Boil water
    Add spaghetti (2 oz)
    After two minutes add (9) shrimp (I buy mine frozen and peeled), broccoli florets, and any other veggie you like.
    Continue to boil until pasta is tender
    drain.
    Add 1tbsp of olive oil and season to taste (garlic, salt, pepper, etc)

This is under 500 calories and "real" food. I guarantee you will be stuffed:)

Voila!!!!