Sugar, Carbohydrates, and Calories

Options
How do you do carbohydrates vs. calories? I find I log in calories and certain foods are heavier and with more carbohydrates and sugars.. would that make a difference? Also, what is the point of exercising if you mess up every now and then? Any constructive help here?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    uh....seriously?

1. carbs arent bad eat up just hit your calorie goals carbs are fuel
    2. So i should just sit on my butt in bed all day every day because on sunday i might just not go out to exercise so why bother. Or you mean mess up on eating, In which case it makes even less sense.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don’t worry about carbs. I do make sure I get enough protein though.
  • loveyourselforeverr
    Options
    It’s all trial and error I guess. I find even if I have a bad day I still work out and wake up with a better mind set the next day. As long as you’re not constantly doing it. You gotta have some type of discipline if you really wanna be successful with your weight loss. Just keep going
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sagius222 wrote: »
    How do you do carbohydrates vs. calories? I find I log in calories and certain foods are heavier and with more carbohydrates and sugars.. would that make a difference? Also, what is the point of exercising if you mess up every now and then? Any constructive help here?

Make a difference with regard to what, exactly?

Exercise to increase your fitness level.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean about what the point is of exercising. If you mess up, you just get back on track.

As for carbs, I like them. They're great and unfairly demonized. A lot of them are healthy and delicious. Potatoes are life.

Calories are king when it comes to weight loss, though. You should worry more about them than you worry about carbs. You should also, if you're looking to lose weight, worry that you're getting enough protein. Dieters need more protein than the average person.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about asking what's the point of exercise if you mess up..
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    1. Correct - some foods are higher in carbs or sugars (or fats, or protein, or whatever else) than others. Manage your total calories to control your weight, manage your carbs, fats, protein, vitamins and minerals for an overall healthy and balanced diet.
    2. Everyone messes up sometimes. The goal is to get to where your wins outweigh your losses. Success is an accumulation of wins over time, not perfection day in and day out (which is pretty much impossible).
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »

What's the point in doing anything if you're going to mess up every now and then? Full-on perfection is just not gonna happen for any of us, and the point in doing something you want to get better at -- is to get better at it in practice.

Agreed!! Keep working at it and it gets easier. :)

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The "point" of exercising is to increase your fitness. Many people also find that it helps improve their mood or makes it easier for them to stay motivated to meet their calorie goals. It also allows us to eat more which is no small thing for some of us.

Humans mess up everything now and then. You might as well ask what is the point of paying your bills or brushing your teeth or being in a relationship if you're going to mess up now and then. They're just things that we do and nobody expects that we'll do them perfectly 100% of the time.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to limit your carbs or sugar, there's no need to worry about them. Calories are all that matter when it comes to weight loss. I like to focus on hitting my minimum protein goal - I don't pay too much attention to balancing my carbs and fat macros.

As for exercising, I'm not sure what "messing up" means? If you're worried about the inaccuracy of calculating calories burnt through exercise, you could just eat back 50-75% of them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Do you mean to exercise to compensate for overindulging?

Id try to think differently - exercise because you enjoy it, because it makes you feel good. It'll enable you to eat more. I don't exercise as punishment to make up for eating too much. It may seem the same in the end, but I think having a more positive mentality is important.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you're driving somewhere and take a wrong turn, do you turn around and go back home to sulk on the couch all day?
    If you drop your cell phone do you then smash it with a hammer?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Carbs are just one of the three macro-nutrients...Carbs/Protein/Fat. Sugar is one of the three subsets of carbs...sugar/starch/fiber. Carbs have nothing to do with weight management...weight management is about energy (calorie) balance.

What is messing up now and again...and if it's now and again, how material is that to the whole of what you're doing? Exercise has many health benefits beyond additional energy expenditure. Regular exercise is primarily for fitness, health and well being and is likely to have a bigger impact on your overall health than what you're eating.