Benefits of using foam rollers

Options
Anyone used these on a regular basis, any pros and cons

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I don't know the benefits but it certainly makes my muscles feel awesome after an intense work out or run.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I use it everyday at the gym. I have one at home as well. Your first time it hurts like heck but when your muscles get used to it it feels wonderful. My muscles dont ache as much anymore and I feel more flexible. I love my foam roller.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It's good for working out muscles that have got tight, in lieu of a massage or something, but a lot of the tightness you may experience can be remediated by stretching every day. Set a timer for ten minutes and do what feels good.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I fell off mine and bashed my hip on the floor - was trying to release my other hip/thigh.

I fell out with it and just stretch well now :/
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have one foam roller that I use for stretching my back and as a massage roller...it really does seem to help loosen my muscles. I have a half roller that I use to add extra difficulty to planks, pushups, bridges, etc...
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I fell off mine and bashed my hip on the floor - was trying to release my other hip/thigh.

lol how do you fall of it, they're like 5" high :D
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same. Were you on a chair or something?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's nothing more than self massage really...I use one regularly along with a lacrosse ball and back buddy for self massage as I sit much of the day at work and I get tight.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would marry mine if I could.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    They are inexpensive. Try one daily fit awhile and see how it helps "you”.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have one at home I use. Used to use it regularly but got out of the habit. 'I've started using it again though lately because I've been feeling a bit stiff in certain areas and it helps me to loosen up. I always feel better after
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am not aware of any compelling evidence of measurable benefits but I can say from personal experience (I know....the plural of anecdote is not data) that some quality time spent with my foam roller after a long run makes me feel better. There is another product in the same vein as a foam roller called "the stick" that I have also found very useful (they come in a variety of sizes depending on your needs).

Given that they're quite inexpensive I can't think of a downside....
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    IT band pain is the worst! Rolling mine out is always painful, I should make it a daily thing.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Here's an article with the references at the end. I also remember seeing a meta-analysis on the few studies that existed in 2015 but I can't find it right now (it indicated there was some benefit but more research is needed).

I personally use mine often. In my highly scientific study of one, I can say it helps with my calves and I notice when I don't use it. I'm also convinced it helped with my IT band issues a few years ago.

https://runnersconnect.net/research-effectiveness-foam-rolling/
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I was thinking the same. Were you on a chair or something?

nope, lying on floor rolling it under one hip, slipped off and landed on my other side. Painful. My mate who was showing me how to use it just fell about laughing. heh. It was right at start of weightloss/working out so I was way more clumsy, a lot less knowledge of how to move my body and no core strength to keep stable.
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back and my physio recommended foam rolling. It's like having my own masseuse :-D
    It can be sore to do when my back is really stiff but I always feel better afterwards.
  • jjallen57
    jjallen57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    (I know....the plural of anecdote is not data)

Like that. Hmmm, maybe the singular of anecdote could be 'anecdotum'? ;-)

(sorry, couldn't help but keep my own world to myself)
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    It helps me on the days that I have DOMs and really don't want to work out. I used to do it before every workout as part of my warm up but as I started lifting heavier and my rest times got longer I needed to cut some time out of my routine (my gym opens at 6:30 and I have to be out the door by 7:45) and that was what went.