Lifting weights and calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes the way it's designed is that you do more you get to eat more to keep the rate of loss you have chosen.
    Your basic calorie goal is for a day with no purposeful exercise.

Just log duration of the workout under the cardiovascular part of the diary under category "strength training".
    It's just a rough approximation based on weight and METS but it's simple and free.

This is what I always did until I just switched over to the TDEE method.

OP, it's quite difficult to determine energy expenditure from lifting as there are so many variables whereas aerobic activity is usually pretty straight forward...

Lifting regularly was one of the main drivers for me switching over to the TDEE method.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    No, I'd be surprised if I'm burning over 100 calories in 45 minutes of lifting. Seeing as in that 45 minutes it's probably 10 minutes or less of actual lifting if it was back to back to back.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll cut it down from 300 to 150. just something a little extra... even with the 300 - I don't think I'll use them.. but just to be safe I'll change it to 150 or 100
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Check out the answers in your other thread...
  • Jadu786
    Options
    simi915 wrote: »
    Maybe I'll cut it down from 300 to 150. just something a little extra... even with the 300 - I don't think I'll use them.. but just to be safe I'll change it to 150 or 100

Use the MFP entry under Cardio 'weight lifting. And do eat them- fuel you work outs.
    If you are not losing as planned after a month you can adjust.

Cheers, h.

Okay, thank you for the feedback!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Use the MFP entry under Cardio 'weight lifting. And do eat them- fuel you work outs.
    If you are not losing as planned after a month you can adjust.

Cheers, h.

ditto. (FYI- their estimate is ~0.0239 calories x weight in pounds x number of minutes).
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should use the strength training the mfp has. At 4'11 and 149lbs i only burn maybe 120-140 during a 30- 40 minute of weight lifting. And I'll usually take off 5 or 10 minutes to account for time between sets, walking around, etc.

• Jadu786
    Options
    Thank You! that advice helped - I was able to find the tool under cardio...
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Before nursing school and when I had time, I was lifting with a personal trainer. My goal was to get strong enough to compete and while that never happened, I was still lifting 4 times a week for about an hour and a half (20 minute warm up) at 70-80% my 1 rep max, which was determined when my trainer helped me max me out.

I was 5'6" and weighed about 143 pounds and ate on average 2,200 calories a day.

Now, thanks to nursing school, I work out 2-4 times a week for 45 minutes with a 5-15 minute warm up. I am not lifting nearly as heavy, probably only 50%-60% of what my old 1 rep max would be. I average about 1,800-2,200 calories a day and weigh 148.

Are you trying to build muscle or lose weight or a combination of both? What does your weight lifting program look like?
  • Jadu786
    Options
    A combination of both I would say. I am 5'5 and currently weigh 147-149 depending on when I weigh myself. I'd like to lose a few inches and be a little more tone... Currently, I am doing a program with more reps... this is what my program looks like...

Sunday Workout 1
    Legs
    12-10-8-6
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Extension
    Romanian Dead Lift

10-8-6
    Standing Calf Raise
    Seated Calf Raise

Monday Workout 2
    Back
    12-10-8-6
    Lat Pulldown
    Close Grip Pull Down
    Dumbell Row
    Barbell Row

Tuesday Workout 3
    Chest and Biceps
    12-10-8-6
    Bench Press
    Incline Dumbell Press
    Incline Dumbell Flies
    Cable Cross Over

Bicep
    10-8-6
    Preacher Curl
    Incline Curl
    Hammer Curl

Wednesday Workout 4

Shoulders and Triceps
    12-10-8-6
    Military Press
    Lat Raise
    Bent Over Reverse Flies
    Shrugs
    Triceps
    10-8-6
    Skull Crusher
    Tricep Push Down
    Single Arm Kick Back

Thursday Cardio and Abs

Friday Off Day

Saturday Off Day
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is there are reason you are doing a body building style split workout? Are you an experienced lifter?

If you are relatifvely new to lifting (less than 2 years in) you would be much better servied by a 3 times/week full body routine, versus the Bro split you put up
    A combination of both I would say. I am 5'5 and currently weigh 147-149 depending on when I weigh myself. I'd like to lose a few inches and be a little more tone... Currently, I am doing a program with more reps... this is what my program looks like...

Sunday Workout 1
    Legs
    12-10-8-6
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Extension
    Romanian Dead Lift

10-8-6
    Standing Calf Raise
    Seated Calf Raise

Monday Workout 2
    Back
    12-10-8-6
    Lat Pulldown
    Close Grip Pull Down
    Dumbell Row
    Barbell Row

Tuesday Workout 3
    Chest and Biceps
    12-10-8-6
    Bench Press
    Incline Dumbell Press
    Incline Dumbell Flies
    Cable Cross Over

Bicep
    10-8-6
    Preacher Curl
    Incline Curl
    Hammer Curl

Wednesday Workout 4

Shoulders and Triceps
    12-10-8-6
    Military Press
    Lat Raise
    Bent Over Reverse Flies
    Shrugs
    Triceps
    10-8-6
    Skull Crusher
    Tricep Push Down
    Single Arm Kick Back

Thursday Cardio and Abs

Friday Off Day

Saturday Off Day

Is there are a reason you are doing a bodybuilding style split workout? Are you an experienced lifter?

If you are relatively new to lifting (less than 2 years in) you would be much better served by a 3 times/week full body routine, versus the Bro split you put up above. Take a look at strong lifts or strong curves, starting strength, as examples of great beginner full body workouts.
  • Jadu786
    Options
    Ive actually been lifting for several years now! I just started using mfp seriously and hence the question about calories burned. I've been lifting and going to the gym for 10 years now. I started off a little over weight...175 at 5'5 and got down to 130 at one point - now I've been in the 142-149 range (up and down) for the past 6 years. I lift more to just try to tone and maintain a healthy physique...