Clogged/narrowed arteries?

Options
Just wondering - well hoping - if there may be a sure-fire way of finding out for myself or knowing whether or not I've done any damage to my vascular health through years of eating junk, fast food, sat/hydrogenated fats etc etc....
I'm not really too keen on the idea of asking a doctor and having him run all sorts of tests on me or referring me for scans etc, just don't want the hassle and it'd probably cost too much anyway....

Are there any definite signs or symptoms of arterial disease that occur during the onset of atherosclerosis to watch out for? I'm a guy of 48 around 40 BMI and have just begun a fairly demanding fitness regime which, amazingly, I seem to have taken too pretty well without too much pain & distress...I do ache a lot in my muscles right now, though!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience about this?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    There are no definite signs, but some to look for:

Pain in lower limbs pretty frequently.
    Cold feet or toes all the time (even in warm rooms).
    Slow toenail growth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Idk about the arterial disease, probably something for a medical professional to answer. But here’s some good news for you, the muscle aches from working out became less painful for me a few weeks in. I hope it’s the same for you :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have chronic venous insufficiency. (The veins in my legs collapsed from having to carry too much extra weight). The main symptom I had was that my lower legs turned reddish pink. No lesions, flaking skin, scabs, etc. No pain. Just the kind of red that looks a bit like if you've been on your knees for too long and when you get up, your knees are temporarily red. In my case it didn't go away.

If you're experiencing that, see your doctor. Compression stockings (and weight loss) help the circulation issues.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no quick, simple way to determine if one has clinically significant coronary artery disease. Part of the problem is that most heart attacks are caused by the sudden closure of a coronary artery due to a clot forming at the site of ruptured plaque. People can walk around with 60%,70%,80% blockages and not have any symptoms if no clot forms. Even something like a stress test is unlikely to detect this if there is no significant restriction of blood flow to the heart.

Coronary risk is assessed via an analysis of risk factors. Someone with hypertension, diabetes, low HDL, high LDL, or a family history of premature heart disease will be at greater risk.

8-10 years ago, a number of institutions were offering a test called ultrafast CT scanning. The test scanned for calcium deposits in coronary arteries. There was some relationship between calcium levels and the amount of disease present. The test was quick and relatively inexpensive (less than $200). There were some accuracy issues as with any test of this type, but if you were at the far edges (very low or very high), the test had predictive value. I don’t know if they still do these anymore.
  • bibbob300
    bibbob300 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience I developed peripheral arterial disease, blockages in both legs, my symptoms were that after walking for 5 mins I got cramp like feelings in my calves, went to docs and suggested that it could be arterial disease, he just laughed and said, " well your not male and over 65" so I doubt it's arterial related, after examining my leg pulses he reluctantly agreed to send me for scans, I had blockages in both legs, I'm female and only 45!!
    The consultant blamed smoking but I do have a suspicion that the high carb diet I've eaten all my life hasn't helped either, I had my arteries cleared out and decided to follow a low carb diet, I hate taking the statins I was given but once you get something like this I trust you are given the statins for a reason, my cholesterol funnily enough wasn't really high to start with, so no indication there it was only 6, UK Government norm is under 5 so not sky high, anyway after 6 months I was down to a 4 reading, then started low carb and my last test was 3.6.
  • robbyh501
    robbyh501 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    so you don't visit the doctor? not even a cholesterol or blood pressure check?

My BP was a 'little high' when checked nearly a year ago, never had my lipids done in my life. So yeah, the sensible thing for me to do is get it checked.

Since I made my initial post I did some more research on line and I certainly don't have any symptoms that would indicate I am in danger, so considering what other some other folk have said so far on this thread regarding their own circumstances, I feel quite lucky.

Of course. that's not to say that it's something I should forget about. I will likely wait until the new year and arrange a full medical. On my last visit, my doctor said I should lose a stone, two would be better, but instead I gained about 6lb.

I have just started a rigorous exercise regime and am massively motivated (for once!) to start shifting this weight.

Just wanna thank yourself and every one else for replying. I'm actually quite shocked to hear of some the examples of the problems others have mentioned here and it is a matter which I will look into with the help of a doctor in the very near future.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When I first read your initial post I thought "Wow, this guy's been googling a bit too much today".

After reading further, I realize you're scared of the potential risks and while I think you need to get off those blogs for a while, it's a good thing if you use it to do the work you know needs to be done.

The #1 most important thing you can do to manage your health is to lose weight. So concentrate on that. Get your medicals at your annual and go from there as far as medications you might need.

The thing that put me over top to finally get started losing was my medicals last year. I had fairly high blood pressure that was triggering migraine headaches. It scared the daylights out of me. I started working that day on dropping the pounds. I've lost 35 lbs and am working on maintenance for a few months. I'll start up after the new year to drop another 20 or so.

I hope you use this as a wake up call and get down to work. I wish you the best.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Exercising and some foods can help to reduce the fat in your arteries. Whilst I can understand wanting to know the answer, unless you have unexplained symptoms, would knowing alter anything or would it actually just cause you stress which would be potentially more damaging?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    More google doctor:

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/CoronaryArteryDisease.cfm

"Patients can lower their C-reactive protein levels in the same ways that they can cut their heart attack risk: take aspirin, eat a proper diet, quit smoking, and begin an exercise program. Researchers also think that obesity and diabetes may be tied to high levels of C-reactive protein. Your doctor can check your C-reactive protein levels with a blood test, and many doctors across the country are adding the test to their patients' cholesterol screening."

The lipid test is cheap. Get it done for peace of mind.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm going to provide a more optimistic (and realistic) view on this.

First of all, just like metabolism there is really no damage you cannot undo with good behavior. You ache in your muscles because you've neglected using them for some time and now your body is adjusting. If you keep this up your body will construct new capillary beds to support this new activity.

Your body works in the most efficient manner and does not support structures not in use. If you stop using a muscle your body efficiently reduces supply of energy to that muscle.

No reason to be concerned. Keep up the activity and eating within your caloric budget. Get your lipids tested and then check it again in 6 months and see if there are any differences.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Regular check up, normal cholesterol and blood pressure tests. Discuss whether there is anything you should do beyond that re coronary disease concerns or the like (such as the CT scan). They will discuss family history, which is significant too.

Eat a good diet going forward to do what you can, and keep exercising.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Just get a quick angiogram
    Only way to make truly sure.

Apparently mine are “as smooth as silk”
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There are no definite signs, but some to look for:

Pain in lower limbs pretty frequently.
    Cold feet or toes all the time (even in warm rooms).
    Slow toenail growth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Those can also be signs and symptoms of poor circulation in the lower extremities which can be caused by varicose veins or an abdominal aneurysm, and not necessarily due to clogged arteries due to poor eating habits, smoking, obesity, or high BMI (although those factors make increase the risk). They also have a genetic component.

If anybody has a familiar history of aneurysms or varicose veins, the doctor can request an abdominal ultrasound and also a neck ultrasound to determine if the aorta has been compromised. Most insurance pay for these tests. However @robbyh501 I think that if you are worry about the state of your veins, you may ask the doctor for his/her opinion about the need of doing some tests. Your life is worthy, isn't it?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coronary artery calcium score can give you and idea of your level of artherosclercosis (hardening of the arteries).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    robbyh501 wrote: »
    Are there any definite signs or symptoms of arterial disease that occur during the onset of atherosclerosis to watch out for?

Without doing an angiogram, cardiogram or other tests/scans, I believe that the primary risk factors for heart or arterial disease are obesity, high blood pressure, high "bad" cholesterol levels, diabetes, a history of smoking and/or a history of heart/arterial disease in one's family.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Am I Riddled With Coronary Artery Disease? Find Out LIVE! | Incident Report MOBILE | ZDoggMD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlygp-A96NE
  • oneluckiegirl
    oneluckiegirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sir!!!!
    Do yourself, your loved ones and any fitness trainer you’re working with a HUGE favor and go to a flipping doctor. At MINIMUM get your BP checked and lipid profile. Have a carotid artery ultrasound. AT MINIMUM!
    Maybe you’re one of the lucky cusses that was able to dodge the junk food/trans fat bullet. But you don’t know that do ya?
    Pay the doctor now rather than an E.R. Visit and a cardiac bypass surgery fee!!!
    I’m a registered vascular and cardiac sonographer. I work with some of the top cardiac and vascular surgeons in the world. Don’t risk your life over a couple hundred dollars and a few hours of your time.