How often do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I aim to do 5 workouts a week at the gym (about 45min cardio and 20-30min of weight training) on my rest days I make sure that i go for a walk or do a massive house clean!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I do 6 days a week - your body does need time for repair and recovery! Mix it up and find something fun to do that perhaps doesn't feel so much like exercise. I do Zumba twice a week and it doesn't feel like exercise (despite sweating up a storm). Swimming is another great option if its available!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I work out 5/6 days per week for anything between 20-60 minutes depending on what i'm doing.

Having a rest day is important.
  • tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm targeting 3x a week for 60 minutes. I know myself, and if I set a goal I can't attain I'll get frustrated and just give up. If I'm able to maintain 3x a week, I'll add more days as time permits. Guess I'm the slacker of the replies so far. :smile:

same here!! i couldnt possibly exercise every day and i would just get depressed that im not keeping up. Therefore i aim for 3 times a week. at the moment thats working :D and i feel good about myself when i have done them :) everybody is different though. x
  • cherrycake26
    Options
    Well I kinda feel lazy here, i am swimming, only just built up tp 40 mins roughly three times a week. I work shifts encluding one night a week I sleep over in workplace. Its not always easy to fit more in other than walks. I am 57, joints are a little bit creaky with some discomfort, should i do more??? Welcome some feed back from other 50 somethings, please feel free to add me....Only one friend so far lol and thats my daughter x
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think it must depend on how old you are and your general physical condition. A 20-year-old will be able to work out for longer and more often than someone in their fifties or sixties with joint problems, like me.
    Your VO2 Max will decrease with age, but if you stop exercising then it'll decrease even more. Lower VO2 Max means you can't workout as intense (or as fast over a longer distance) as somebody with a higher VO2. Once you've removed illness, being overweight, and injury from possible joint problems there is no reason you can't be as flexible into your 60s as you was in your mid twenties if you do the right stretching on a regular basis. I've gone from not being able to touch my past knees to being able to touch the floor with the palms of my hands.

I workout an hour to two and half hours six days a week. If you workout you normally get a buzz that lasts 24 hours or so that results in an improved mood, more confident and so on. It is easier to keep exercising if you exercise every 24 hours or less. Coming back into exercising after my rest day is the single hardest workout I do all week because I've lost that buzz.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm targeting 3x a week for 60 minutes. I know myself, and if I set a goal I can't attain I'll get frustrated and just give up. If I'm able to maintain 3x a week, I'll add more days as time permits. Guess I'm the slacker of the replies so far. :smile:

same here!! i couldnt possibly exercise every day and i would just get depressed that im not keeping up. Therefore i aim for 3 times a week. at the moment thats working :D and i feel good about myself when i have done them :) everybody is different though. x

ditto 6 days a week is madness to me

i walk for an 1hr 5 days a week and go to the gym 3 i would never go to the gym 6 days I would be so depressed
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3, maybe 4 times a week.

On other days I walk or cycle to and from work, and I go to a dance class once a week. At weekends I'll go fro a long (1 hour+ ) walk with the dog. So I try to do something active every day, but I only log my gym stuff.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to go against the grain here as I do not exercise much at all (in fact reading this thread makes me feel very guilty!)

I walk an hour a day most days and try to fit in 30 minuts cardio 3-4 times a week [realistically I am doing my cardio twice a week at the moment]

My weightloss has been 90% diet!
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    20-30 mins at least once a day (try twice when i can bothered)
    6 days a week
  • msdrogo
    msdrogo Posts: 5
    Options
    I feel like I need to work out everyday. Almost like addicted to it. I know I should take a day off but hate to. I would say at least an hour a day. Running mostly, then weights 2-3 times a week with some added running mixd in. Sometimes twice a day. Haven't took a day off in 2 + weeks, I will this Saturday, have to travel. I will say all the working out has paid off in both mind and body.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Here is my workouts for this week. Not exactly "well balanced" but it is a realistic week for me. I'm 175lbs, 5ft2 and 24 years old.

Monday - cycle to work and back (6 miles), c25k (30mins), elliptical (10mins)
    Tuesday - cycle to work and back (6 miles), lunchtime walk (3 miles, 1 hour), Zumba (60mins)
    Wednesday - cycle to work and back (6 miles), lunchtime walk (3miles, 1 hour), c25k (30mins), elliptical (15mins)
    Thursday (REST DAY) - cycle to work and back (6 miles)
    Friday (PARTY DAY) - dancing in a club (v energetically for 3 hours)
    Saturday - c25k (30mins), elliptical (20mins)
    Sunday (BIG CYCLE DAY) - Long cycle (25 miles, 2/3 hours)

I realise there is little strength training activity in there but I'm concentrating on loads of cardio at the moment.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    I workout 5-6 days a week. I have finallly gotten to the point that I enjoy it Not saying that I didn't enjoy it before but I am my own motivation and if someone doesn't show up doesn't mean that I don't work out. This week has been one of those weeks. I have worked out by myself and no ipod (I keep forgeting to recharage it). I do this b/c I want to and I push myself harder than anyone I workout with. If this isn't something I can do for the rest of my life I will not do it. That is my barometer.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    6 days a week for 2-3 hours a day.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    4-5 days a week.......a few weeks ago it was every day for 13 days straight, it was cardio and light weights, but my body was a little wore out near the end, the HRM showed it :( I rested and am back on track, I do cardio and weights(heavy) and go for walks just because and have a very physical job. I only work out on days that I work the night before because when I have my "time off" it is truely that.......although I do walks then also. My average cal burn a week runs anywhere from 2000-5500 depending what I do to get my body working hard.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Every day , sometimes twice a day. would like twice a day every day, but being fulltime working single mom, life tends to laugh in my face on that one.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5 to 6 days a week (just depends on how crazy the week is) it's a combination of cardio and strength training.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm over sixty and everything I've read tells me to exercise every other day to give my body time to recoup.
    BUT, I'm under so much pressure to exercise every day! People say stuff like, "60 is the new 40". My body disagrees. I'm exhausted! Still people around me prod and shame me into going beyond what I am comfortable with. If I hear "no pain; no gain" one more time I'll vomit. Encouragement has become something more like a lash. I do weight training, 30 min elliptical and 15 min. treadmill every day. This sounds like so little, but My legs are killing me.
    Please, well meaning people, let me rest!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day for about 25-30 minutes. As for weight training, since I can only work out my upper body, I typically only do 2-3 days of week .... one day for chest, one day for arms (triceps and biceps) and one day for shoulders.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    6 days a week for 2-3 hours a day.

heh would like to just 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week to my self