Up at 4am, gym at 5, at the office at 7.

Options
This is my first post on here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or a redundant post...

I guess I'm looking for some motivation or just some solace in knowing that there are others out there that have to hit the gym mega early in order to go.

How do you keep yourself motivated to continue going so early?
How often do you go each week?
Any tips on making yourself look presentable in 15 mins? (partially kidding.)
How did you get out of a very unmotivated and undisciplined funk? (Months long :neutral: )

I work for an eye surgeon, and so our hours start very early. I'm off each day at 4pm but prefer to spend that time with my 4 year old son and honestly after work I am so beat. I've been lifting for three years, have lost a total of around 60lbs. In July I cancelled my membership at my favorite gym, Lifetime, joined a crowded gym that I can't stand, and have had such a hard time getting back to my routine. I've also gained weight and lost a bit of muscle in that time and it's been so hard for me to get out of the funk that ensued.
Can anyone else relate?

Advice, suggestions, those who can relate, anything is welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• scubatahiti
    scubatahiti Posts: 71 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeez.. I could have wrote that post (except the presentable in 15 min). Motivation is really personal thing. I try to visualize what my life looks like 1, 5, 10 years from now based on how i life it in terms of nutrition and fitness. when I am on my game i workout 7 days a week tho 2 of those Days are Yoga.

As far as breaking the pattern I am right now trying to break it by getting back on message boards MFP or beach-body by communicating with others that are doing the same. It really helps. Honestly if Lifetime worked for you you should go back, I've found it to be better than most tho a bit pricy. Good luck in your journey. I'm sure you will be successful!!!
  • AdinaRin
    AdinaRin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for those great responses! I have no idea how to mention you both but I appreciate the feedback and the support! I have been thinking about going back to LT for quite some time now and I will start back up again in January! That's my happy place.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to get up at 4:30 and head outside for a run. I get out of bed splash cold water on my face and brush my teeth to fully wake up. I try to get done by 6:00 so I have time for breakfast and a shower. I don't have to be at work til 8:00 and my commute is only seven minutes so I have it easy. I find that if I go to bed around 9:30 and get in the habit of daily exercise it becomes automatic. I am also bald so the fix my hair thing is very easy. I need to get back in the habit of running my route that goes by the gym every other day on a 4 1/2 mile loop and do 7 miles on the off days with a 10 miler on the weekend. That was my perfect amount to lose weight but when I got slack I put 25 pounds back on.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is just do it and it will become a habit and easier to do. My work and life schedule changes all the time so I try to adapt to it. Currently I work out of town, have a membership at a gym in the town I work in. I am up at 330 at the gym by 350. Leaving gym and at work by 445. I work until 330pm and hit the gym again and at my home away from home by 500 and in bed by 700. At home a lot less as I have both weights and cardio equipment in the house so can do it whenever.

Keep at it, they say it takes 3 weeks to make something a habit.

Best of luck
  • sjezip
    sjezip Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the exact time routine too. I have a nice gym in my building. Up at 4:00am, gym at 5:00am, start work around 7:00am. My motivation is easy... besides the normal must do it for’s, I make it a part of my routine and look forward to the time spent working on myself.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    AdinaRin wrote: »
    This is my first post on here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or a redundant post...

I guess I'm looking for some motivation or just some solace in knowing that there are others out there that have to hit the gym mega early in order to go.

How do you keep yourself motivated to continue going so early?
    How often do you go each week?
    Any tips on making yourself look presentable in 15 mins? (partially kidding.)
    How did you get out of a very unmotivated and undisciplined funk? (Months long :neutral: )

I work for an eye surgeon, and so our hours start very early. I'm off each day at 4pm but prefer to spend that time with my 4 year old son and honestly after work I am so beat. I've been lifting for three years, have lost a total of around 60lbs. In July I cancelled my membership at my favorite gym, Lifetime, joined a crowded gym that I can't stand, and have had such a hard time getting back to my routine. I've also gained weight and lost a bit of muscle in that time and it's been so hard for me to get out of the funk that ensued.
    Can anyone else relate?

Advice, suggestions, those who can relate, anything is welcome. Thanks!

I have almost the exact same routine! Up at 430, gym at 5,to work before 7am.

How do you keep yourself motivated to continue going so early? It is just a routine, and I'm so consistent that the thought of not going is unrealistic. In some warped way, I really look forward to it, gathering my gym clothes, showering stuff, and work clothes the night before and getting ready is enjoyable to me (maybe that is sad?)

How often do you go each week? 2 early gym days, plus lunch exercises (work gym, running, cycling, punching bag) a few days per week, usually a total 5-6 workouts per week

Any tips on making yourself look presentable in 15 mins? (partially kidding.) I'm a bald male and look the same no matter what I do :)

How did you get out of a very unmotivated and undisciplined funk? (Months long :neutral: ) Just keep showing up and working regardless of how you feel. If you can't give 100%, give 90, 80, 70, whatever you can do. It is self-perpetuating, think of the positive self-image you have as you walk out of the gym and feed off of that...
  • neesa_ross
    neesa_ross Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I wake up at 3:45am twice a week to make sure I can get to the gym before work because I work 12 hour shifts and never have the energy to go after work. On the other three week days I am off but I still go to the gym earlier in the morning so I am always up early. I find it helps me to remember why I started. I also have a part of the body I target each day so skipping a day means that part of my body is missed for the week which I don’t like. I can admit some days I am not motivated but once I get myself to the gym I find motivation. I think it also helps that I don’t drive so I know that not only am I getting up that early but my driver is too and I feel like it is rude of me to cancel knowing she took the time to get up early just to take me to the gym.

Before I would convince myself I would workout at home and that never worked so in August I finally got a gym membership and now I go 5 days a week despite working longer hours. It has actually become apart of my weekly routine and I feel off if I don’t go!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    My Gym is my house, or the park, never really cared to join a gym at all. I do, however, get up at around 4:30 on days I work out during the week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday) start hitting the workout (bodyweight circuit training, elliptical, core work) by 5:15 at the latest, and finish by 7am, then hit the shower, fix a quick breakfast which is usually some bran cereal with almond milk, and a protein shake and head off to work by 8. Doing it this way I get it done while it's quiet, family doesn't need anything, and there are no excuses (other than dragging myself out of bed in the first place). On Saturdays I also work out but I sleep in, work out when I feel like it mid-morning. Sunday is optional, but would also sleep in if I worked out. Usually if I do work out on Sunday it's mostly weight training or resistance training.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have the same schedule--up at 4, gym by 5 and office by 7 (or 7:30 if I stop for coffee!). I've come to love that schedule because it doesn't generally rely on motivation. I get everything ready the night before - bag with work clothes packed, pre-workout smoothie made, food packed, any other odds and ends piled in front of the door... All I do once the alarm goes off is get up, wash my face, brush my teeth, wash my face and put my hair in a ponytail. I don't worry about too much more than that....I figure no one's eyes are really open at that hour anyway! After that, I weigh myself, get dressed, grab my stuff and start my day. The only real trick is on snowy mornings when I need to get out extra early. I do that 4 mornings a week. The real key I found was making sure I get to bed early enough to be able to be productive in my workouts, and more importantly--all of the other parts of my life. That's the eternal challenge for me!
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Add me I'm just like u
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much for those great responses! I have no idea how to mention you both but I appreciate the feedback and the support! I have been thinking about going back to LT for quite some time now and I will start back up again in January! That's my happy place.

I was going to ask why you left LT because it almost sounds like you purposefully, or subconsciously, sabotaged yourself. I think they key is to make things as easy for yourself as you can so you can get to the gym: train somewhere you like, get a good nights sleep before, have your gym kit ready etc.

As for the 15mins getting ready, as a guy I can have my hair done in 5 secs once its washed. Don't hate on me too much lol Have you considered shorter hair? If you wear makeup, I can't advise as I have no experience with that sort of thing. The only thing I'd say is don't do it whilst driving.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Just a warning, LT is going to be busier than usual January with all the new Year's resolution people. Don't be put off by it, most of them will be gone by March at the latest.
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    im right there with you. up at 410, gym by 450am, showered and at work by 740. half the time i dont have the motivation but i do have the discipline. which seems to work just as well. add me if you like. Have a great day!
  • mrw0915
    mrw0915 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same way and doing it for the same reasons. I wouldn't have it any other way. We all have the same 24 each day, it's what we do with it that counts.
  • AdinaRin
    AdinaRin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »

I was going to ask why you left LT because it almost sounds like you purposefully, or subconsciously, sabotaged yourself. I think they key is to make things as easy for yourself as you can so you can get to the gym: train somewhere you like, get a good nights sleep before, have your gym kit ready etc.

As for the 15mins getting ready, as a guy I can have my hair done in 5 secs once its washed. Don't hate on me too much lol Have you considered shorter hair? If you wear makeup, I can't advise as I have no experience with that sort of thing. The only thing I'd say is don't do it whilst driving.

@PAFC84 I really think i did sabotage myself. My son had gotten two warnings in kids club (nothing crazy) and it was an odd time where there were more sign ups than usual so the weight room was busier than usual and it all annoyed me, so i left. The irony is how much busier 24’s are and the awful *kitten* contest the weight room is there. That last comment had me laughing thanks for that! I couldn’t do my makeup while driving, i can’t really do it that great standing still.

• crewgirl86
    crewgirl86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love my early morning workout routines! It's not easy at first, but once it became routine for me I don't even think twice about it. I go Monday-Friday and wouldn't have it any other way. With all of my toiletries and stuff already in my gym bag it's actually more of a hassle for me to NOT go to the gym and get ready at home which is so out of my routine.

The biggest thing that helps me is getting absolutely EVERYTHING packed the night before- water bottle in the kitchen ready to be filled, breakfast/lunch in the fridge packed up, gym bag with next day's clothes packed, and gym clothes laid out.

Once I'm at the gym, it helps that I've made some gym friends that go at the same time too! Look out for those who you see there every morning and buddy up with them. :) It's nice to make small talk with people while getting ready! They also will notice when you've been gone and ask about it- a little accountability there!

As far as looking presentable- ehhh! If it's a super sweaty workout I will get up a little earlier to make it happen and wash, blow dry my hair. If it's less sweaty I will use dry shampoo and put my hair up in a ponytail.

As far as motivation- you've gotta just make it a habit! Once you're there, it'll be amazing! I absolutely love having my afternoons/evenings free and not have the nagging feeling all day at work of "ugh I have to go to the gym after this..." Good luck!
  • ejikslonik
    ejikslonik Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I get up at 4 as well and I go for a run. I have to be at work at 7 am. I go to the gym after work. I’m obsessed with 6 pack lol I want it so bad I can sleep :) I actually get up at 3:30 sometimes bc I can’t sleep anymore...
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    ejikslonik wrote: »
    Hi, I get up at 4 as well and I go for a run. I have to be at work at 7 am. I go to the gym after work. I’m obsessed with 6 pack lol I want it so bad I can sleep :) I actually get up at 3:30 sometimes bc I can’t sleep anymore...

Ha Ha, you sound like me a little bit. I have a hard time falling asleep as I am planning out my workouts in my head lol