Snap fitness gym I belong to..

Options
I just joined a gym thats open 24/7 and want to know what do you guys think I should start doing like what kind of machines to use and what stretches b/c i cant afford personal training to help me its like 75 per session..ouchh..

Replies

• ryiko
    ryiko Posts: 76
    Options
    I just joined a gym thats open 24/7 and want to know what do you guys think I should start doing like what kind of machines to use and what stretches b/c i cant afford personal training to help me its like 75 per session..ouchh..
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I use a book called Making the Cut by Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser... to me it seems just like a personal trainer for only $12.60 (that's how much the book cost me at Walmart, LOL). It tells you exactly what exercises to do for 30 days. I'll say as a disclaimer that it's a hard workout that really kicks your butt, but it gets great results. You're supposed to follow a diet with it but I find that part really impractical... her menus have you making a different recipe two or three times a day with no repeats for awhile... I'm just one person and I don't know what to do with all the leftovers except eat them, or not make much of the recipe, which to me seems like a waste of money! So I just do the workout part and that is a little user-unfriendly too because you have to look up each exercise and they're hard to find. But after you do it for a couple days you get the hang of it and its gets easier and I think it's well worth it. It is for people with 10 to 20 pounds to lose that are used to some amount of working out, so if you're brand new to it or have a lot to lose then I'd recommend her other book, the Biggest Loser workout I think it's called, which I haven't tried but it's for beginners.

Good luck!
  • fittuma
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level, I think the treadmill is always a good place to start for your cardio. You can adjust the speed and incline to increase/decrease the challenge. I like to do intervals on the treadmill. for example, 5 minutes of warm up, then 2 minutes of moderate intensity, 1 minute higher intensity. Repeat 8-10 times then cool down. Elliptical is good if you have knee issues.

For strength training, I'm a fan of dumbells and bar bells, doing your basic curls, squats, lunges, etc. If you are going to use the machines, I'd at least see if someone can show you the basics so you are sure to use proper form. it bites to get hurt when you are trying to get more exercise!

good luck!
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Have you any exercise experience? There are a number of great site out there that have free generic training programs that will tell you what exercises and what stretches to do. It is going to depend on where you are and where you want to go, and what you can do now.

Ideally most gyms come with a complimentary training session that is 90% buy more sessions and 10% how to use the equipment and a rough outline of a basic plan, so see if this may be an option for you. At least someone to show you how to set the equipment up. This is what I do...

On upper body days I do (Mon Wed Fri)
    5 sets of 15 reps each:
    Chest press
    Pec Dec
    Curl
    triceps extension
    I will be adding more but that is my start right now.

At home I do pushups, situps, and planks every other day morning and night, and I will be adding some fit ball workouts and pilates soon as well.

Lowerbody days 5 sets, 15 reps each of: (Tues Thur)
    squats
    leg extensions
    leg curls
    calf raises
    Also adding more soon.

Monday through Thursday night I do cardio which consists of treadmill, stair climber, stationary bike, elipitical machine, rowing machine, swimming, or a class. This depends on mood or boredom factor until I get closer to an event that requires specific training like a 10k run or a cycling event. Right now I am laying in a base, which is also what a beginner should do. A base is just generic fitness you can then build on later into a specific activity you want to get endurance or fast at.

Stretches are best I find on warm muscles so 5-10 minutes walking in sweats usually does it for me. Make each stretch start easy, then slowly and steadily stretch to the start of pain and hold for at least a 25 count. Do not bounce. you want to stretch each muscle you plan to use, and a few you don't.

After your first few workouts you will probably be sore. Not too bad the day after, really bad the second day. You want to stretch those muscles all day, and then get into the gym and do all those exercises but very lightly, this will help you recover from the lactic acid burn. Don't worry you will stop getting sore soon after you start working out, call it beginner's curse. Just stick with whatever plan you start off with.

Good luck, do a web search for free sites with pics to show proper form and routines. Have fun, many people don't but working out does not have to be boring or painful. If you learn to love it you will be more likely to keep doing it...