I Dislike Food Prep

Options
I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?
«1

Replies

  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm doing good to separate the Costco sized meat packages into smaller freezer bags before it all goes bad.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    UGH! I enjoyed cooking for a bit and hubby would clean. But I've grown to resent it. So I cook for four days each week, Lean Cuisine one, restaurants on the weekends. Then one week a month, I order prepared heat and eat meals from a local food prep service.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Sasha1776 wrote: »
    I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?

    How often do you prep? I used to hate meal prep when I was doing it each night for the next day. I don't mind eating the same thing all week so food prep actually makes my life easier. I have a 6 pack fitness bag and I make up my weekly meals every Sunday. Each morning I grab that day's stack and I'm off!

    Meal 1: Banana, 2 rice cakes and PB (preworkout)
    Meal 2: Oats, powdered PB & chocolate whey
    Meal 3: Greek yogurt, powdered PB & chocolate whey
    Meal 4: Grilled chicken breast, basmati rice, mixed veggies
    Meal 5: Banana & protein bar
    Meal 6: Grilled tilapia, basmati rice, asparagus

    I'll swap foods out occasionally but that's a pretty typical day for me.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Since I got the instant pot, I don't mind cooking in bulk on a Sunday and just adding other stuff to it during the weekdays. I might make brown rice or quinoa with vegetables. I will add a protein and other vegetables when eating. The clean up is a lot less when dealing with one pot. I make something different for breakfast and lunch, which means more prepping, but usually not a lot.

  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love to cook...but do hate the prep and clean up. I am actually a really good cook, do most everything from scratch. Mom was one of the WW2 housewives and she never stopped the "organic" farm cooking, even after moving to the city with my Dad. I didn't even know you could buy bread at the grocery store until I was almost 10 (1970's)...crazy, right? What it did was bless me with a daily example of fundamental cooking techniques. Package things were never on the menu and I didn't have a pizza until I was a teenage. School lunches were out of the question...she made our lunch every day...even through HS.

    I said all that to say this...I follow my Mom's practice...Meals are planned for the week, prior to buying groceries. She hand cut everything but I have a great food processor. The biggest key??? I never clean up or do dishes. NEVER! That belongs to the kids and the husband. All my love goes into the cooking and they love me back by doing the dirty work. Another fundamental lesson from Mom...which she learned on the farm...from her Mom. I ma just glad that I never had to kill the chickens...but always wished I had my grandparents smoke house.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I generally just do a few big batches of food on Sunday afternoon, enough to last my fiance and I for the following week.

    I don't eat breakfast, so that's one less meal to worry about.

    For lunch I generally just have a stockpile of stuff at my work desk like instant oatmeal packets, protein bars, bagels, soups, etc. Things I can make in the microwave or toaster.

    Then for dinners I just have whatever we meal-prepped, plus a fresh fruit or whatever for dessert.

    So really I only cook once a week!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love to cook (and shop and eat and clean up) after I figured out I can eat (and buy and cook) what I like.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I love making grocery lists, planning menus, shopping and cooking. But sometimes I'd rather die than clean up the kitchen and do dishes.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Sasha1776 wrote: »
    I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?

    You're my twin.....you get me <3
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I generally just do a few big batches of food on Sunday afternoon, enough to last my fiance and I for the following week.

    I don't eat breakfast, so that's one less meal to worry about.

    For lunch I generally just have a stockpile of stuff at my work desk like instant oatmeal packets, protein bars, bagels, soups, etc. Things I can make in the microwave or toaster.

    Then for dinners I just have whatever we meal-prepped, plus a fresh fruit or whatever for dessert.

    So really I only cook once a week!

    When you get home from work.....why would you want to cook and clean up?! I'm exhausted!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?

    I often say, "I like cooking as a hobby, not as a full time occupation." As soon as my teenagers were of age where they could boil their own water, I went on "strike".

    That ended when I got remarried. He'll do everything else except cook. So it's cook it myself or eat out.

    I can make it fun and engaging however, and I'm a darned good cook. I'm efficient about it, too. I fill up my sink with soapy water and clean up as I go. I get everything going so it is ready at once. And I have plans for all my leftovers.

    I like being creative, and I go so far as to take instagram pictures of our pancake breakfast every week for the last eighteen months.
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree. Although, once I got into a good routine, I found it easier. I "meal" prep my breakfast and lunch/dinner for work on Sunday. I find myself creating really basic, boring meals though because I don't want to go through the trouble of cooking a real dinner, prepping it for work, then cleaning everything. I also through everything in plastic bags because I don't want to deal with the Tupperware. I know this is bad for the environment and my budget, but once I start slacking on dishes, I start slacking on prepping and then dieting/eating health. I like cooking on the weekends though! Oh and I don't have a dishwasher, so that's why dishes are hard.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Sasha1776 wrote: »
    I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?

    You're my twin.....you get me <3

    I'm with you guys! I have so little time that ISN'T taken up by gym, work, chores/errands, and sleep....why would I want to waste it in the kitchen?!? I enjoy cooking if it's for something fun....like coming up with and making something for my friend's Disco Potluck Party. But every day "gotta eat something" food....no interest at all. Seriously, if you looked in my fridge right now, you'd see the world's largest collection of condiments and the sad little Tupperwares filled with whatever meal I made for the week. Oh. And some beer B)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    I generally just do a few big batches of food on Sunday afternoon, enough to last my fiance and I for the following week.

    I don't eat breakfast, so that's one less meal to worry about.

    For lunch I generally just have a stockpile of stuff at my work desk like instant oatmeal packets, protein bars, bagels, soups, etc. Things I can make in the microwave or toaster.

    Then for dinners I just have whatever we meal-prepped, plus a fresh fruit or whatever for dessert.

    So really I only cook once a week!

    When you get home from work.....why would you want to cook and clean up?! I'm exhausted!

    I find cooking relaxing and creative, at least once I'm in the habit. It's a way of unwinding, even if I sometimes eat at 10 pm (if I get home after 9, not because I cook something super elaborate).

    Cleaning up is relaxing sometimes too, but I won't claim to love it.

  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I would rather cook and clean up then struggle with figuring out the calories in take out constantly or eat boxed meals.. i dunno.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,992 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm one of those who likes cooking too - - food prep and all.

    Always have done all of the cooking, even when I was married. Am retired and live alone now and, together w/exercising, it's one of my hobbies and helps past the time.

    It also saves me a lot of $ over eating out and I allows me to know exactly what I am eating so that I can control my food intake.
  • OuchArtist
    OuchArtist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I actually spend a lot of energy on prepping, so by the time I am ready to eat, I just wanna take a nap xD
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Me too, but I always make my own food regardless. I don't mind it too much now. Most of my meals are super easy and require minimal cooking. Also, I only cook for myself as nobody else wants my food (guess I should count myself lucky!).
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Sasha1776 wrote: »
    I dislike cooking, I dislike cleaning up after cooking. If only I disliked eating, everything would be good right?? Anyone feel the same?

    You're my twin.....you get me <3

    I'm with you guys! I have so little time that ISN'T taken up by gym, work, chores/errands, and sleep....why would I want to waste it in the kitchen?!? I enjoy cooking if it's for something fun....like coming up with and making something for my friend's Disco Potluck Party. But every day "gotta eat something" food....no interest at all. Seriously, if you looked in my fridge right now, you'd see the world's largest collection of condiments and the sad little Tupperwares filled with whatever meal I made for the week. Oh. And some beer B)

    You are my long lost 1/2 sister cause beer is ookey. But I feel you with the rest! :D