Cool to skip meals to save up for big ones?

I'm trying to skip lunch today because we're having a big meal tonight. Is this okay to do semi-regularly or will it mess with my metabolism?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Sounds like a great plan.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yup.. I do it all the time. Even when I'm trying to gain
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    You could even eat lunch and the big meal if you wanted to and figure out where to cut the calories for the rest of the week. Weekly deficit is all I'm after.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It won't mess with your metabolism. The only thing I would worry about is if skipping the meal leaves you overeating at dinner.

I'm skipping the meal so I CAN overeat at dinner. lol but still stay withing caloric limits
  • Jackibrazil
    You could even eat lunch and the big meal if you wanted to and figure out where to cut the calories for the rest of the week. Weekly deficit is all I'm after.

That's a good point. My daily goal is already a little hard to stick to though so I think I'm better off skipping.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It won't mess with your metabolism. The only thing I would worry about is if skipping the meal leaves you overeating at dinner.

I'm skipping the meal so I CAN overeat at dinner. lol but still stay withing caloric limits

I understand that. But for some they may end up binging from not eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If you're within your goal, I wouldn't consider that to be overeating.

The point being made was that going into a meal hungry can lead to one eating more than one has intended to and exceeding calorie goals. That's the only thing to watch out for when you're skipping meals. If it's not an issue for you and you stick to your calorie goal, then you don't have to worry about it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I skip breakfast almost every day. Meal timing is personal preference. Distribute your daily calories however you please!
  • Jackibrazil

If you're within your goal, I wouldn't consider that to be overeating.

The point being made was that going into a meal hungry can lead to one eating more than one has intended to and exceeding calorie goals. That's the only thing to watch out for when you're skipping meals. If it's not an issue for you and you stick to your calorie goal, then you don't have to worry about it.

True. I can see that. I think I'll be okay because there will be so many people there. I'm not one to go for seconds at big social events. I get anxious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nah, it's not going to do anything to your metabolism...and even if it did...which is doesn't, a one off would be pretty meaningless to your metabolism. We're pretty highly evolved beings.

I haven't logged in years and skipping meals or having much smaller than normal meals when I know I'm going to go out or have a big dinner or gathering or whatever is one of my strategies to control calories.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 580 Member
    I do this most days. I typically eat a very small breakfast (usually only a greek yogurt), have a medium-sized lunch, which leaves room for a large dinner and a dessert or snack most days. If it works with your calorie goal and with your schedule, then it's fine to do. You could also consider looking at your calories on a weekly basis and allot more calories for a day when you're going to have a bigger dinner and fewer calories to another day to compensate.
  • AbbyPort89
    AbbyPort89 Posts: 28 Member
    I typically skip breakfast every morning...well I eat breakfast and lunch at the same time. Don't feel that it makes any difference to my metabolism.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I don't skip meals, but I do eat less at other meals for a few days prior if my "soecial" meal is planned. Like dinner this Saturday night. I am eating here, and I do mean EATING! I want to splurge, not binge. For me, skipping meals would leave me too hungry.

Skipping one meal won't affect your metabolism.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    I do this every day. Have oats every day for breakfast, miss lunch and then save most of my calories for dinner. If I get hungry mid-day I have a piece of fruit, or something light and a cup of coffee. If I didn't, I'd have to have tiny meals and I don't do tiny! Plus who wants to spend all day cooking?
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    I do it allllll the time. It’s wonderful and no it will not “slow your metabolism”.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I'm trying to skip lunch today because we're having a big meal tonight. Is this okay to do semi-regularly or will it mess with my metabolism?

It's totally fine.
  • Jackibrazil
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I don't skip meals, but I do eat less at other meals for a few days prior if my "soecial" meal is planned. Like dinner this Saturday night. I am eating here, and I do mean EATING! I want to splurge, not binge. For me, skipping meals would leave me too hungry.

Skipping one meal won't affect your metabolism.

That place looks amazeballs.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Sometimes that strategy backfires in me since I’m starving when I arrive. If I need to bank calories I’ll skip breakfast, but have a normal lunch and a snack right before the event (like an apple and cottage cheese) with hot tea to fill the belly.