Not new to MFP, but new to the Boards

Options
Hello Everyone,

I'm 27, about to be 28. I am not new to MFP, I have been using it for a little over 2 years now, but I have not been posting on the forums until recently. I tend to be pretty shy and reserved, especially with personal goals.

To provide a little background on me, everyone in my family is overweight and I have pretty much been overweight my whole life. However, I have basically been slowly gaining weight since 3rd grade. When I decided to get serious about losing weight on July 31st of 2015, I weighed 407lbs (!). I was really unhappy and decided that I need to turn my life around before I either gained more weight or wasted more of my youth being really overweight and unhappy. I set an arbitrary goal to get down to 250, which I am still working toward, but so far I have lost 117 pounds "the old fashioned way" with diet and exercise. (Set points and plateaus are a *kitten*...)

I started with mostly diet and light exercise, but then hit a plateau after about 50lbs lost and picked up a gym membership and started going about 4-6 days a week doing cardio and weights. Then I hit another plateau at about 80lbs lost and I started doing HIIT workouts and working in some light cardio during the day at work by going for brisk walks with coworkers (that's still "working" right ;) ).

When I get to my goal, I am going to re-evaluate it and see if I think I can go further... I don't think I can ever get "skinny" but I'd like to try and get as close as possible.

Since I am in California, my short term goal is to do the full Half-Dome hike and one day in the future I'd like to work up to doing a marathon or something.

Replies

• Emerald_Warrior
    Emerald_Warrior Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your efforts and success thus far! It took me quite a while to begin reaching out on here as well, for the same reasons. But I've learned quickly that having friends on here supporting you is an incredible thing. Keep up the great work, feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Ingebrittmfp
    Ingebrittmfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your journey sounds amazing! And I bet you simply feel better as well. I’ve only been working on my goal for six weeks and I constantly backtrack to my old habits. I hope to be a success story like you! I keep fighting!
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is a great loss. Why did you say you can't get 'skinny'? You lost 117 lbs so far, it means you can do it. Don't do it though, skinny men don't look good :) Good luck, not so much left for your first goal!
  • swordnsandal
    swordnsandal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats on your dedication and success!