Amazing!! Anyone tried frozen avocados?

Options
OuchArtist
OuchArtist Posts: 41 Member
edited December 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Just recently, I discovered that I can actually buy frozen avocados flesh ready to eat, I just let it out of the freezer 1-2 hours before my meal, and boom, more than a pound of avocados per package bought ready for some dipping time.
This means, I can have avo effing cados every single day yay xD
Avocados need no further explanation why they are super healthy, in addition to that, they're extremely beneficial for athlethes, rich in muscle building performance enhancing Potassium, and Boron, which 6-10 milligrams of per day has been shown to decrease SHBG thus allowing more free testosterone to aid in recovery time, and keep you lean.
It is also noted that a relatively short restricted Boron intake results in significantly poorer performance on tasks emphasizing manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, attention, perception, encoding and short-term memory, and long-term memory.
Researchers are starting to understand the relationship among calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, and boron... all of these work together to build strong and healthy bones, being deficient in one or having too much of one and not enough of the other, is enough to compromise your bone health.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Think I heard this b4 but never acted on it.

Have a couple of ripe avocados on my counter now. Going to slice or cube them, seal them in 1/2 serving sizes w/the FoodSaver and then freeze them to see how they turn out.

If it works, I won't worry about buying "too many" avocados any more.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    How would you freeze avocados without ruining them?
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    AVOCADOS ROCK! I HAVE ONE EVERYDAY.....GET YOUR GUAC ON PEOPLE!
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

That's what I'm trying to find out.

Sealed and froze one last night but haven't looked at or defrosted it yet. Will check later when I get back home.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have an avo every day too, but I haven't seen them frozen.

I usually ripen about 4 or 5 at a time and then move them to the fridge. They keep just fine there and that stops them ripening further.

How's the texture after freezing?
  • OuchArtist
    Options

I usually ripen about 4 or 5 at a time and then move them to the fridge. They keep just fine there and that stops them ripening further.

They are still amazing and the texture is soo close, yet I would always go for ones that I prepare myself if taste was my only objective...

4 or 5 at a time? huh.. that's how much I eat each single day. xD
  • sgt1372
    edited December 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Sealed and froze one last night but haven't looked at or defrosted it yet. Will check later when I get back home.

Ok just defrosted the of 1/2 avocado that I froze last night. Still have 1/2 left.

Color and taste was fine but texture was mushy making it good only for things like avocado toast/spread or guacamole.

Texture may have been due to the fact that the avocado was already ripe and soft. Might be different if the avocado was still hard.

Made a hard boiled egg sandwich w/it. Mixed the avocado in w/diced hard boiled eggs and a little mayo, salt & pepper. Spread it on wheat toast topped w/roma tomato slices, romain lettuce and pickled jalapeno slices.

Tasted fine but I don't think I'd freeze an avocado again unless there was no other way to avoid wasting it.
  • OuchArtist
    Options

Ok just defrosted the of 1/2 avocado that I froze last night. Still have 1/2 left.

Color and taste was fine but texture was mushy making it good only for things like avocado toast/spread or guacamole.

Texture may have been due to the fact that the avocado was already ripe and soft. Might be different if the avocado was still hard.

Made a hard boiled egg sandwich w/it. Mixed the avocado in w/diced hard boiled eggs and a little mayo, salt & pepper. Spread it on wheat toast topped w/roma tomato slices, romain lettuce and pickled jalapeno slices.

Tasted fine but I don't think I'd freeze an avocado again unless there was no other way to avoid wasting it.

I'm imagining the ingrediets you listed being melted in my mouth as you're explaining in detail what you put in the sandwich.. you must be pretty passionate about food lmfao you gotta try openning a restaurant.
    Btw.. you do MMA? (Profile pic)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    OuchArtist wrote: »

They are still amazing and the texture is soo close, yet I would always go for ones that I prepare myself if taste was my only objective...

4 or 5 at a time? huh.. that's how much I eat each single day. xD

I guess this must be a preference thing, because I don't find the texture anywhere close to fresh.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Avocados are so good in vanilla-protein smoothies. This sounds like a plan...as soon as avocados aren't $3 a piece.
  • sgt1372
    edited December 2017
    Options
    OuchArtist wrote: »

I'm imagining the ingrediets you listed being melted in my mouth as you're explaining in detail what you put in the sandwich.. you must be pretty passionate about food lmfao you gotta try openning a restaurant.
    Btw.. you do MMA? (Profile pic)

Thanks. Glad you found the description appetizing. :)

I enjoy cooking but I'm just a home cook and would never open a restaurant. Lousy hours, too little profit and too much pressure.

Really don't understand why anyone would do it. I just cook for myself and my GF.

Sorry I don't "do MMA."
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen avocados and use them in smoothies or recipes but I don't think they taste as nice as a fresh ones. I read that they don't freeze well at home, they are able to do it commercially because they can super freeze them really quick.