Need help and ideas to jumpstart my weight loss journey

Options
Hey everyone, so I’ve tried so many times to loose weight and everytime I never make it to my target or I just give up because I’m not seeing results fast enough. I’m begging for some advice to help me. I’m at my all time high at 260 lbs and generally feel sluggish and lazy and i do not want this to be my life anymore. I’m 20 yrs old and a college student. At 5’8” I’m trying to be healthy and would like to set my goal weight at 160 by the end of 2018. 100lbs 1 year. Is this too much too fast? Is it an achievable goal? Uhhhh hellpppp

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well.....I dunno about enjoyable, but at least tolerable. ;)
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Do you live at home or on campus? And do you or can you cook your meals or buy them from the cafeteria? If you are cooking your food you can be much more accurate with your logging your calories.if you are eating from the cafeteria then try to decide on your meal before you go and pre-log it. That will help you with your calorie budget for the day. Consider signing up for a physically active class if you can fit that into your curriculum- yoga, running, self-defense, strength training, ball room dancing... check out what is available and be open to new ideas. If you can’t fit a class like that into your curriculum can you find time 3 times a week to go to the gym? Have you come considered the couch2-5k app? You can do each run on a treadmill if you like.

This is the perfect time of your life to commit to your health. Make a list of obtainable goals- I will log my food daily, I will exercise 30 minutes 3 times a week in the gym for the next month, I will always take the stairs 1 floor up or two floors down, I will sign-up for (fill in). Consider a nutrition class also if you think that might benefit you....
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm 221, by the end of next year calculations say I should be 169-170 at 1660 calories a day. So... no it's not achievable in one year safely but I would still do it because you're gonna be closer to your goal than you are now.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I set a goal weight and did not give myself a timeline. For me, that would have introduced unnecessary stress. Took me about four months to lose 24 pounds. Be aware that while you will see progress on the scale you may not notice any difference in how you look until you lose about 20 pounds. Good luck!!
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you want someone you can chat with daily about goals and tips/accountability let me know!
    1. Start slow: if you choose January 1st and say I'm never eating sugar, I'm never eating this or that etc., I'll work out every day, it's too much. Choose one thing to change first and remember it takes 21 days to make something a habit. I would suggest choosing something small enough for it to be attainable, but that will kickstart your healthy behaviours like packing your own lunch every day for a month, or working out 30 minutes 5 days a week.
    2. Don't restrict yourself too much. You want a lifestyle change not a diet. It has to be attainable. If you have chicken and plain broccoli, don't plan to eat that every day. I need sweets or I feel restricted so I eat them within my calorie goals. For example, I buy low calorie hot chocolate, and those 110 calorie mini drumsticks.
    3. Healthy food doesn't have to taste gross. Buy some seasonings so you can make cool things with veggies.
    4. Have a supporter.
    5. Know you will not be perfect all the time, that's okay. It's good. That's life. Eat cake on your birthday, have that extra drink at the bar, eat popcorn at the movies. Just make those occasional things. and don't keep yourself down when that happens. Eat the things. Go to bed. Wake up the next day and wprkpit, eat healthy, and crush your goals.
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think 100lbs in a year is very doable. But then again, just remember to take it one day and one step at a time. When I started my weight loss journey, the first step I asked myself was "am I ready to start this journey?" I started about a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. I decided not to wait for the holidays to be over haha because I knew that I would probably lose control with my eating habits over the holidays, so I commend you for wanting to start something now. That is always the first step.

The second step is to track everyday, no matter how much or how little you eat. Try doing this for two weeks straight, soon enough it be second nature to you. I started out by just logging my food and now, it has been a new habit of mine. I've been tracking my food intake every single day since I started my journey.

Third thing to do is to drink at least 8 cups of water a day.
    Most people always say, drink half of your body weight in ounces but not me, when your just starting out take it one step at a time.

Forth step is to walk at least 10 minutes a day and then day by day try to challenge yourself with a new exercise or maybe go for a longer walk, increase your steps in any way possible.

Finally and this is a good one to remember is figure out a system and, or a program that works for you. I started on a very structured program called, HMR. It mostly consist of shakes, entrees, soup and oatmeal. That's all I eat. It's pretty expensive but thank goodness I have my mom and my boyfriend helping me out at the moment. I also go to weekly support groups and I see a doctor at the clinic once a week to check to see how I am doing, etc and I take blood test once a month. A support system is very important. You're going to need one! So remember these steps and you'll be fine :) Believe me, I understand how you feel. I pretty much ate my way through college. I graduated two years ago and currently, I weighed at 370lbs but I did weigh 400lbs when I started the program, so I'm climbing on down....if you want, I can be a support system for you! Add me on here and we can chat anytime :smile:
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do not believe 100lbs in a year is realistic. Mostly because you'll probably hate every minute of it - especially in the beginning which leads to a huge lack of motivation and eventually giving up. Which was also the lifestyle of yours truly until a year ago. Literally, 364 days ago I started using this app.

I started at 270lbs and one year later, I weighed in at 210lbs today - that's 60lbs lost in 52 weeks and I promise you the extra 8lbs came off the first 1-2 months before my progress settled around -1lbs per week. Now, I anticipate having at least another 50lbs to lose and am giving myself another year to lose it.

However, in the last year I have dropped from a size 20 to a size 14 (which are too big - I think I'll be settling into my first pair of 12s any day now). I've quit smoking, gone from no exercise to running a 5K then a 10K. I work out 3-4x per week with a personal trainer (a student, with reduced fee, once a week). I can see my feet again. I don't have a double chin anymore. I don't have to buy "wide" calved boots this winter.

I'm not happy when I look in the mirror most days, but every once and a while I see a picture of me from a year ago and I smile to think of the hard work I've put in. I'm also experiencing the most energy I've ever had, and I look the healthiest and youngest I have. I looked about 30 this time last year, and now I actually look my age (23)!

Start slowly, research, and don't expect changes overnight. For the first two weeks, I just ate at maintenance. I didn't add exercise until 4mo in and I didn't add strength training until 10mo in. It's a SLOW process but damn is it worth it.

Good luck, and feel free to message/friend me if you would like :smile:
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and started on 7/30/2017 at 260 pounds, with a goal of 160 pounds by 7/1/2018. This morning I weighed 190.8 pounds, so I think it's an achievable goal. But as they say, the first 10 pounds are easy, the last 10 pounds are impossible.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone here. Set your goal for 1# per week and do exactly as MFP says. While you’re at it, Learn about proper nutrition along the way to set yourself up for life. It’s taken me 2 full years to lose 85#, but I’m confident I can maintain. Track, log and plan.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Yeah

no 'jumpstart' needed as someone said above

You have great advice here and I can tell you from experience, having followed similar advice, that it works

I started 151 days ago. I needed to lose 140lbs to begin with.

I weigh and log everything I consume. I'm down 54lbs but my weight loss is slowing a bit recently - I'm less active because of winter. I'm planning to take about a year to lose the remaining 80 or so.

Just start