HELP! I need soft high-cal foods for post-surgery husband!

2»

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Refried beans or hummus might be good. I don't know if anyone else enjoys hummus by itself, but I do!
    You could add olive oil to soups, gravy to mashed potatoes, butter to whipped sweet potatoes, cream cheese or any cheese to eggs.
    For the sake of his regularity though, fruit smoothies are the best. Add some cream for extra calories.
    Could he have graham crackers dipped in milk?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Refried beans and hummus might be next week, but worth a try then. Graham crackers are right out until hard foods.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If he needs a protein boost, try silken tofu. It's very soft and you can usually find in on the shelf in the grocery store, most likely in the Asian section. You can throw it into a smoothie, or you can make a chocolate mousse by blending it with melted chocolate. There are lots of recipes for this, but you can use Alton Brown's pie filling and just serve it without the crust: http://www.food.com/recipe/moo-less-chocolate-pie-by-alton-brown-186659#activity-feed. If he hasn't eaten tofu before, that's probably the most palatable way to try it.
  • PaganUK
    PaganUK Posts: 238 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is explicitly not OK yet.
    I'm not planning to feed him exclusively milkshakes.

I'd agree with the avocado smoothie idea, but I'm not sure he'd be convinced to drink it. He doesn't really like avacado. But guacamole might work.

Slow cook him meat and veggies in a crock pot. Put in blender. Feed with spoon.

Unfortunately meat chunks of any sort is still an explicit no-no and against doctor recommendation. He may be ready for that in 7-14 more days. I honestly can't wait until chili or stew is back on the menu. Very soft veggies apparently OK.

I'm curious as to why a doctor would advise against eating any protein whatsoever, and I would be concerned of said doctors credentials with regard to nutrition in general. Care to elaborate on the surgery?

He had a Nissen wrap due to chronic acid reflux. Over-simplifying it quite a bit, he had his esophagus wrapped around in such a way so that the acid can't get up the way it did before. It causes a person to have to go on a liquid diet to soft diet for a few weeks until the body heals.

The doctor did not say no protein, just not chunks of meat. Pureed is fine, such as in baby food. In fact he can eat pretty much anything pureed. Saying that, it's amazing how unappetizing most food is when pureed.

And please be understanding that saying, "just eat this unappetizing food" is not something I want to put myself or him through. He's miserable and in pain. I am currently making two meals three times a day and about half the meals I make for him don't work out. This has been part of the issue of him not getting enough calories.

So I'm looking for ideas that are adult food, bonus points if it's foods my son and I will like too.

I'm 2 days post Nissen fundloplication. I've blended chicken and veg. strained chicken/oxtail soup so it's lump free. sorbet, milkshake, meal replacement drinks for nutrition. also brought liquid vitamins. corned Beef hash goes down well.
    I'm in pain, tired, difficult to swallow clear fluids at time but I can still belch!!!
    good luck. it's a long slow process. xx