Fell off the wagon... again

Options
I think I am going to chalk yesterday and today up as a loss. I graduated from my Masters program yesterday and to celebrate I went out drinking... which lead to too many calories consumed by beer and obviously a late night snack of pasta ( my favorite) all I have done today is really hate myself about it. I feel like I have failed (yet again). Why is this so hard? I am currently at the gym- something I never do. Hopefully this can make up for last nights oops

Replies

• sjack44
    sjack44 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Graduating from a Masters program is wonderful! Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself...don't allow your celebration to be marred by worrying about something you can't change.
    Losing weight is not about just one day, it is a culmination of all the days one after the other and about making sure that one slip doesn't cause us to give up, just get back on that wagon and start again today.
    Once again congratulations on your Masters :)
  • timsleppy
    timsleppy Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yep, you failed. I mean really. Pasta? After drinking beers? You should've gone for some fried eggs and bacon instead. It's in the past. Just do better today. That's really is all you can do. I ate two days worth of calories yesterday with no cardio, but today everything is cool. Never give up. never surrender.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey i keep sundsy for my cheat day. We all have to be able to cheat every once in a while or else you will loose the bsttle.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    arenavles wrote: »
    Hey i keep sundsy for my cheat day. We all have to be able to cheat every once in a while or else you will loose the bsttle.

I lost close to 65 pounds without a cheat day. I just worked the foods I wanted into my calories as I could.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. This is supposed to be a life long endeavor so if you have a bad day here and there it means nothing in the long term. Unless it leads back to bad habits.

Chalk it up to you deserved the celebration and continue marching forward and don't look back
  • daniel_nong
    daniel_nong Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yo Ematwood. Don't sweat it too much. We all have days where we need to indulge a bit. It's what keeps us sane CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MASTER'S!!! Take it one day at a time. You know what your goals are and it is important to keep them in sight. One day has not ruined you by any means. We're all human friend!
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.
    Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, wagon backing up to pick you up again, just as well you never fell far. You can do this!!!!!
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Graduating from a Master's program is amazing! I finished half my master's and gave up! So... you went out and celebrated- who in their right mind wouldn't! This is a BIG deal! Don't you dare get down on yourself-I totally blew it last night when I hosted friends for a game night- wine, various munchies, Christmas cookies, etc.- yep I went WAY over...I do this on occasion and it has not hurt me at all- I am diligent most of the time, but need the freedom to indulge once in a while. Seriously, please don't feel bad- think about the big picture, not a day.... :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you were on the wrong wagon - sounds like it was a wagon full of Negative Nancy's, who don't understand that there is more to life, and a better way to achieve your goals, than eating a restricted diet (in respect to both calories and food choices) every single day.

Feeling guilt towards foods and eating is not a healthy mindset imo, seeing eating as "cheating" doesn't help either. You achieved something momentous, don't let your celebratory overindulging bring you down. Learn to have a less restrictive diet, look at your weekly calorie goals rather than daily, and know you can still enjoy celebrations without needing to feel bad.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    You got your Masters Degree: That's a huge accomplishment, and a once in a lifetime milestone that deserves to be celebrated! Yay, you!

Look, the thing is, there is no wagon. So you didn't fall off one. Food (or drink) is not a sin; we don't need to punish ourselves in expiation.

You have, we shall hope, manyMany days of happy life ahead. Make health and nutrition focused eating choices on most of them, and celebrate (including food/drink) on the occasional day when there's something truly worth celebrating. You'll be fine.

You didn't ruin your Masters Program that one evening when you fell asleep and didn't study as much as you'd planned, did you? No. Likewise, you didn't ruin your weight loss in one day celebrating your degree. Tiny delay in reaching goal, at most.

Just resume your healthy routine.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome achievement! Don't worry about celebrating!

Go for a walk later, drink lots of water. Make healthy choices for today. And STOP beating your self up. There will be many reasons in the future to drink beer, and eat cake. It's not the once off's that make us healthy or unhealthy, it's the days in between!

P.s. I'm a masters student too and I <3 the analogy above ^^ Will def remember that one next time I feel like I've messed up!
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for 8 years and find that 2 days in a row off-plan DOES NOT CRASH YOUR PROGRESS. :)

Congrats on your Degree...enjoy your celebration. Mantra is...No Guilt, tomorrow is a new day. Get up, dust off, and keep walking your journey.