Will my body become used to a low cholesterol diet?

Options
jbvpn
jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
Hey everyone,

Rarely will I eat much cholesterol - not a dietary choice or goal, just what I eat.

Today I had an egg - I have never been a massive consumer of eggs, I probably had 5 or 6 this entire year.

That one egg had more cholesterol than I would normally consume in an entire 2 week period from other foods according to my diary.

Would my body react differently over time to cholesterol such as the levels rising quicker if I eat something like an egg - considering I eat lots of protein, fibre and good fats and not too much saturated fat.

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    What do your labs look like which would cause concern?
  • jbvpn
    jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No. You NEED fat in a diet and dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood cholesterol of "normal" people

Hi - thanks for the reply - what causes blood cholesterol to rise - by blood cholesterol I guess you mean the sort that causes blocks in the arteries etc...? - i am new to the journey of getting fit and eating better so still learning. Thanks
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    have you gotten your blood work done? before starting this diet, you should get your blood tested and see what your numbers are, then adjust your diet according.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Your body produce cholesterol. That is usually what causes problems with people with high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol doesn't have much affect.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Before you know where you're going you need to know where you've been! Or in your case where your family tree has been. Get some lab work done and take it from there.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Ps.....eggs were once thought to be a contributing factor to high cholesterol. Research has proven that thought as false. Yeah!!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Unless you have familial hypercholesterolemia, you don't need to worry about dietary cholesterol.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Limit trans fats in your diet, eat healthful foods, and enjoy your eggs, shrimps, and other former "cholesterol villains". An egg without its yolk is -- just sad.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jbvpn wrote: »
    No. You NEED fat in a diet and dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood cholesterol of "normal" people

Hi - thanks for the reply - what causes blood cholesterol to rise - by blood cholesterol I guess you mean the sort that causes blocks in the arteries etc...? - i am new to the journey of getting fit and eating better so still learning. Thanks

Cholesterol is not really the cause of narrowed arteries. It just happens to be in the area. This is a pretty good summary:
    http://eatingacademy.com/cholesterol-2/heart-disease-begin-tell-us-prevention

This is a summary of Attia's entire series on cholesterol:
    http://highsteaks.com/straight-dope-cholesterol-summary-dr-peter-attia-eatingacademy-com/