substitutes for carbs

Options
hello!

i noticed a forum post someone did today about wondering why they hadnt lost much weight and i realised i probably need to cut out some carbs as i eat seeded wholemeal toast for breakfast and usually eat some form of carb for my evening meal(there either wholemeal pasta,potato or brown rice.
Id love some ideas on evening meals that are quite low in carbs but still filling for when iv been to the gym BUT theres just one little problem...I dont like many veggies i can eat carrots, peas, mushrooms,spinach and leeks till they come out my ears but i dont enjoy salad veggies.

please dont tell me to suck it up and eat salad because it just wont work lol.

any ideas would be lovely.
x

Replies

• gloryrest
    gloryrest Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not an expert. Just a suggestion. Cook those veggies you like the most. Find recipes that introduce seasonings that provide an exciting flavor to your fav veggies. If no carbs before bed, those cooked veggies and water. .then some fiber (to fill) in the morning.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    have you tried spagehetti squash? you can use it in place of pasta- and season it different ways. you can even put pasta sauce on it and pretend its noodles. worth a shot!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    For a nice pasta dish, you can use spaghetti squash. Once cooked it has a noodle like look to it and a buttery taste. My kids even like it better than pasta.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have really been enjoying cauliflower rice in a lot of dishes. I know you said you don't really like veggies, but honestly you don't know this is cauliflower. I use it in place of rice or pasta. Even my husband likes it and he was very skeptical the other night.

All you do is take raw cauliflower and run it through the food processor (I use the grater attachment) until it looks like rice. You can also use a box grater if you don't have a food processor. Microwave it covered for 3-4 minutes and there you have it. It really soaks up the flavor of whatever sauce you use.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    have you tried spagehetti squash? you can use it in place of pasta- and season it different ways. you can even put pasta sauce on it and pretend its noodles. worth a shot!

We think the same! Spaghetti squash is great!
  • J7mbo
    J7mbo Posts: 5
    Options
    The key: veg instead of carbs. Instead of bread or potatoes with a meal, how about broccoli, carrots and cauliflower instead?

Pasta
    If you like lasagna, you can cut egg plant into thin slices and roast it in the oven. Use the roasted egg plant instead of the pasta as you assemble your lasagna. It does taste somewhat different, but the difference is good.

Bread
    If you create “open-faced” sandwiches with only one piece of bread, you have cut your bread intake in half. Try some of the many whole grain breads until you find one you like. Oatmeal bread has a similar texture and flavor to white but is healthier because it has more fiber. Use your knife and fork to eat, still taste the bread, but there's half of it there!

Potatoes
    Believe it or not, you can treat cauliflower the same way you treat potatoes. You can mash it with butter and milk or you can use it as a basis for “potato” salad. It is not perfectly the same, but it is more than pretty good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hows about the peas, mushrooms,spinach and leeks with some ham or chicken in an 2 (or 3 if you have the cals) egg omlette for dinner? lots of protien if u have been working out and v low carb.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    sweet potato and your choice of meat (cube steak, hamburger pattie, chicken thigh with skin) with lots of fat. My favorite meal ever!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of salads myself but I'm absolutely adoring my vegetables roasted on the BBQ, the flavour is incredible, so much better than the stove.

Try some combination of the following on the BBQ: peppers, onions, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus tossed with a little olive oil (1 tsp per large serving of veggies) and some garlic powder and black pepper. Delicious!
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    You may be sensitive to carbs, so cutting carbs may work. I would suggest cutting carrots and peas as they are high in sugar. Take some time to research low glycemic impact foods. There are some low carb "starch" foods on the market. Dream Fields makes a good low carb past. I can also send a link to a low carb place that specializes in low impact breads, etc.

I would actually work on increasing your protein as well. People that are carb sensitive tend to get that same energy boost from proteins.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash is yummy too. Make it into 'chips' in the oven (French fries if you're across the pond). Yuuuuuuum!!!
  • delogates
    delogates Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A good low carb substitute for bread for me is Flat out Wraps with Flax or Josephs Oat & Bran Pita Bread. I use them for everything.......with bacon and eggs for breakfast, tuna or cold cuts for lunch and also with turkey burgers for dinner. And with the flat out, you can make your own pizza. I had to pretty much cut out pasta and rice all together except for very special occasions. My side items usually consist of vegetables, but only the ones I like because I won't eat them if I don't like them either... :0)
    I agree with Gloryrest.....no carbs before bed, but for my sweet tooth, I usually eat Wasa Light Rye (its like a cracker) with peanut butter and Smuckers Sugar Free Peach preserves, which usually does the trick and lets me go to sleep without thinking about that ice cream in the freezer that's supposed to be for the kids.
    Never give up!
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Try some of the low carb recipes here. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
  • J7mbo
    J7mbo Posts: 5
    Options
    I second the DreamFields brand of pasta. There's reviews of it online - check them out before you buy.