What do I eat?

Options
Hello! So, I have always been a picky eater and I'm probably an even pickier adult. Grocery shopping is a struggle every single week, because I don't even know what to buy. I want to buy healthy food, but I end up buying carb-filled junk. I don't really like meat, except if I'm making tacos. I like pretty much all fruits, aside from honeydew and cantaloupe. I like some vegetables, but not usually cooked. I don't get much time to myself throughout the day between student teaching, working, and going to classes.
Does anyone have any tips for becoming a less picky eater? I try to force myself to try new things, but I still end up not eating anything new
Does anyone have any ideas for recipes for lunch, dinner, and snacks?
Please and thank you!

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight or just wanting to eat healthier?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat tacos everyday. Eat raw veggies. Eat the fruits you like.
    Pack them in containers to bring to work.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Search MFP for raw vegan, raw vegetarian for recipes and ideas. Not suggesting you go vegan, only be curious.
    I am a meat eater, but have found I like veggies much better after looking through vegetarian cookbooks, recipes.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater too. Document various meals/entrees/sides that you'll eat. At lot of times, you'll realize there are options you just completely forgot about. Eventually you'll build up a big enough list to cycle through.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @cheyennealexandra Just eat the things you usually eat, but always enter them on your MFP chart. If the numbers at the bottom look startling, read each entry to see which is causing the problem. It the numbers are okay, just carry on doing what you're doing.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "HappyCampr1" I’ve tried kale in smoothies...yuck. I’ve had it in salads...also yuck. I thought I did not like kale at all. I had it in soup...awesome.

Kale in a smoothie made at home...yuck. Kale in a smoothie where they have a huge industrial juicer.....yum. Kale in salad...yum. Kale in soup... Yuck.
    Lol. Just shows you really have to try things. Different people like different things.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hello! So, I have always been a picky eater and I'm probably an even pickier adult. Grocery shopping is a struggle every single week, because I don't even know what to buy. I want to buy healthy food, but I end up buying carb-filled junk. I don't really like meat, except if I'm making tacos. I like pretty much all fruits, aside from honeydew and cantaloupe. I like some vegetables, but not usually cooked. I don't get much time to myself throughout the day between student teaching, working, and going to classes.
    Does anyone have any tips for becoming a less picky eater? I try to force myself to try new things, but I still end up not eating anything new
    Does anyone have any ideas for recipes for lunch, dinner, and snacks?
    Please and thank you!

My experience is "picky" is always and only used about adults by people making excuses for themselves or someone else.
    You are an educated adult. Do you want to buy healthy food? Buy healthy food. You don't need me to tell you what you mean by healthy, or food.
    Be a vegetarian every day but Taco Tuesday if that's your heart's desire.
    Is all you need from MFP members recipes for lunch, dinner, and snacks? What happened to breakfast? A Google search of "recipe" returns one billion, ten million results. You know that. Pick six of them, go buy the stuff, bring it home and make it.

I read and reread your post several times trying to imagine what you are really asking for. The only answer I could up with was a "stern talking to." If I'm wrong, I apologize.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like amd stay wothin your calories. Try new recipes with foods you already like.
  • cheyennealexandra
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I kinda forgot I made this post, so I haven’t been back on it. Thank you for all the replies! My goals are to lose weight and eat healthier in the long run. I’m definitely incorporating all the foods I do like, but I just want more ideas.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The big question is: do you want to be less picky?

Because you are an adult and therefore it is a matter of if you want to eat safety zone foods only or not. No one can force you. And it is OK to accept you are very particular.
  • cheyennealexandra
    Options
    I definitely do want to become less picky, so I sound like I'm complaining a lot. The issue is money. I'm a broke *kitten* college student, so I don't really want to spend my money on foods that I'm not sure if I will like. So, then I'm just stuck in a cycle of eating processed and pre-packaged things. I think I might start trying something new each time I go to the store. If I don't like it, it's not a huge deal or maybe I can turn it into something else. I don't know. I'm generally pretty open with trying new things, but I don't like spending my money on it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Pick an ingredient, any ingredient. Something you have in your fridge or pantry, then search for recipes for it. Most recipe sites provide nicely balanced dishes, or dishes that can easily be balanced with a side.

For example, if I want potatoes and chicken. Searching Yummly (there are many other recipe websites) here are the first few, and most of them look balanced and calorically affordable:

e6794vlwr0ef.png