Maintainers - what was the most important thing you learned this year?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @happycampr1 I was also used to eating almost as much as you and it really was an annoyance when I also had to cut back on activity because of joint issues and having to work more hours.
    What I ended up finding was that its amazing how we can adjust and be content eating less if we have to. I now have to be content with 2000.
    What I found was all the extra activity wasn't realty worth 300-500 more calories especially when I was inclined to eat those extra calories in chocolate! :blush: Now the majority of calories I eat tends to be satisfying/filling.

Hope you find your workable routine, it takes a little effort and persistence but it's worth it in the long run :smile: (speaking as a long term maintainer here :smiley: )

Ruth
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,829 Member
    Options
    This year, after going to physical therapy for both knees (at separate times) due to injury, the orthopedist told me I should not run any more, so I haven’t..

Has anyone EVER met an ortho who doesn't hate runners? Or a doc. I mean seriously. I injured my meniscus in the early 90's and couldn't run for almost 20 years. But apparently, sometimes TIME does heal things. I restarted my running program - bad KNEES and all - and I am happy. Sometimes I use KT tape. I don't know what is wrong with your knees but the one thing I do know is that if you CAN run and your knees feel ok, then why not?
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have learned that its O.K. if I have an off day and eat things that I shouldn't, without feeling bad about it. . This doesn't mean that I am a failure. God willing , tomorrow is another day. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This year, after going to physical therapy for both knees (at separate times) due to injury, the orthopedist told me I should not run any more, so I haven’t..

Has anyone EVER met an ortho who doesn't hate runners? Or a doc. I mean seriously. I injured my meniscus in the early 90's and couldn't run for almost 20 years. But apparently, sometimes TIME does heal things. I restarted my running program - bad KNEES and all - and I am happy. Sometimes I use KT tape. I don't know what is wrong with your knees but the one thing I do know is that if you CAN run and your knees feel ok, then why not?
    Haha...you sound just like the devil on my shoulder!

I was thinking of saying something similar! :smile:

Running is really good for you. The whole "bad for your knees" thing was debunked long ago, but I guess it depends on the injury.

Maybe you can get into cycling?
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    To learn to walk before you can run. And to learn to know your body.

I lost weight earlier this year and once I lost the weight, I immediately tried to start gaining in muscle but it didn't work (I kept losing weight instead of gaining). I think it's because I don't know my body well enough to properly fuel it to gain correctly yet.

So I've been maintaining for the last few months, taking things slow. I am underweight (105 lbs at 5 ft 6) and MFP recommended I eat 1570 calories a day to start gaining weight however I've found out that my maintenance when I'm practically sedentary (my physical activity recently has come from mostly shopping and fridge trips...) is higher than that. I don't know what it is exactly because I haven't logged but I'd estimate maintenence (let alone gain) to be around 1800-2000 for me at this weight.

Now I've learned that what I thought was going to help me gain is actually way lower than I need (you'd have to add on calories for exercise as well! So I was probably down 500-700 calories a day without meaning to) and I've found what makes me maintain then I can progress in the new year to gaining some muscle weight.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    To plan for a treat every day so that I don't feel deprived.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    All that matters is eating a maximum amount of calories and a minimum amount of protein.

(Caveat - within reason, don't cut out or go single digit %s on fat and/or carbs, and loosely monitor things like saturated fats, sodium, sugar, etc. so that you aren't getting excessive)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That I really need to limit sweets and desserts unfortunately and can't really afford days off.

That it's much harder to go back to a deficit to lose the 20 lbs that you gained back because you're much hungrier than when you lost those last 20 lbs the first time.

That tastes can change after 3 years and it's much harder to eat healthy when eggs make you gag and you'd rather be hungry than eat vegetables...
  • AZDiddy
    AZDiddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I love all these answers. I am just a week into maintenance so I really need all of this advice!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Gosh what a tough question. I honestly can't think of anything.
  • Barb815
    Barb815 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all these things about maintenance. Very helpful.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Love all awesome answers