Dry skin

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Since starting on here I have had really dry skin. Last week when I went to get my legs waxed the girl doing it commented and said I should moisturise. I told her I moisturise twice a day. She then asked if I drank enough...yes, I drink masses (not that there is any evidence that water consumption has an effect on skin hydration). Even my husband says my skin looks like it's half a size too big for me. I have only lost 19lbs so not enough to make a big difference, and I wasn't huge to start with.

So what is causing it? Is it a lack of fat in my diet? Or simply a lack of calories? I am on 1380 a day plus exercise and I usually eat most of those. I also take vitamins and supplements religiously.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• chrisfnet
    Options
    Try switching soaps? Reducing the number of showers per day? Are you on any medications?
  • fteale
    Options
    I have baths rather than showers, but only once a day, and I try not to use detergents often as I am allergic to most of them (sodium stearate and sodium laureath sulphate). I am very careful about what I use on my skin.
  • JSK81114
    JSK81114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat more healthy fat! Avocado, nuts, etc. I've been through this myself. Hope it helps!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My skin has changed over the years... It has become more dry as I closed in on 50. You don't appear to be anywhere close to my age, but it might be hormonal. Do you take vitamins? That may help too.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using bath oil at all, Fredi? Or maybe some bath melts from Lush (although be warned, you only need to use about a quarter of one at a time!)? Or you could make your own. My skin's dry and gets really bad sometimes, depending on whether my peri-menopausal hormones are behaving or not, and I do find that a good exfoliate with a body brush, followed by a bath with oil, can help. I think that giving my legs a good going over stimulates them into action!

I also use unrefined shea butter as a moisturiser on them (you could use cocoa butter too.....it smells like chocolate!), which seems to help.

Hope you get it sorted out soon. xx
  • akgerweck
    akgerweck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic excema and my doctor has forbidden me from taking baths. Sitting in the water breaks up the naturally protective oils on your skin leading to severe dryness. Also, don't use scented soaps and they tend not to moisturize as well. Use a shower gel that contains moisturizers while taking a quick shower each day (she said no longer than 10 for me, but I'm sure you could go 15 to 20 minutes). There are foods that have healthy fats in them that are considered healthy, such as olive oil, fish, and avocados. (If you don't like any of those, you could take a supplement that contains the omega-3 fatty acids and also a vitamin E supplement.) These will all help with healthy skin, nails, and hair.
  • fteale
    Options
    I suffer from chronic excema and my doctor has forbidden me from taking baths. Sitting in the water breaks up the naturally protective oils on your skin leading to severe dryness. Also, don't use scented soaps and they tend not to moisturize as well. Use a shower gel that contains moisturizers while taking a quick shower each day (she said no longer than 10 for me, but I'm sure you could go 15 to 20 minutes). There are foods that have healthy fats in them that are considered healthy, such as olive oil, fish, and avocados. (If you don't like any of those, you could take a supplement that contains the omega-3 fatty acids and also a vitamin E supplement.) These will all help with healthy skin, nails, and hair.

I eat a lot of olive oil, and I take omega 3 supplements. We don't have a shower, and can't put one in as we live in a 500 year old house with 6'2" ceilings, so that's not a possibility for me.