Does Weekly Calorie Counting Work?

Options
RainbowStonerLife26
RainbowStonerLife26 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I am new to the practice of weekly calorie counting, and I was wondering if it is a successful strategy for weight loss. It's my first week into it come the end of this Sunday. Very interested to see if calorie cycling is effective and/or makes a difference, coming from a traditional, daily calorie counting background. Let me know any experiences you've had or any advice with this strategy. Thanks MFP users!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see a difference between weekly or daily.

They are both counting.

I do look at weekly totals to see if I have wiggle room on the weekend but normally it's not a big deal even if I don't as I don't over indulge often.

calorie cycling wouldn't have that big of a difference as weight loss/gain comes over time not a 24 hour period...it might have a mental impact that make sticking to your goal easier tho.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat a little less during weekdays so that if I go over by 300-400 calories on a weekend I'll still see a loss. Not calorie cycling like some people do. It means that I don't have to be as stringent on the weekends, so I like it. I don't always want to weigh my food at social events.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It does, many (me included) just find it easier to manage in smaller increments (daily). That said, even though I do try to stick to target everyday, I do keep a general weekly perspective in mind (hence why many of us bank calories if we know there's a chance that we'll go over target later in the week).
  • hols_blue
    hols_blue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just started weekly counting and I love it. Means I don’t feel deprived as I bank some for weekends. Lost 11lb in 4 weeks. Defo works for me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new to the practice of weekly calorie counting, and I was wondering if it is a successful strategy for weight loss. It's my first week into it come the end of this Sunday. Very interested to see if calorie cycling is effective and/or makes a difference, coming from a traditional, daily calorie counting background. Let me know any experiences you've had or any advice with this strategy. Thanks MFP users!

it does for me.

i only have a few vanity pounds to lose so i watch my weekly goal and aim for 3 weeks of a deficit (which usually equals to losing a pound) and then a week at maintenance.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much always followed weekly, as it seems to work the best for me, and was able to lose 80 lbs with this approach.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to see what today's goal would be if I want the last 7 days to average to my goal. For example, I can see on the weekly that I came up 141 calories short. It is spread pretty evenly; I generally pick my last snack to get close to, but not over, goal. If I pick something that falls a few calories short, I don't worry about the calories left over. But if I saw the rolling number add up to a banana (I love bananas) then I would eat a banana...