20 LBS in 6 months

Options
My goal is to go from 135 lbs to 115 lbs (I am short 5"4') in 6 months, it seems to go really slow so far. Is this a realistic goal?

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The closer your starting weight is to a weight that is healthy for your height, the slower the process is. Aiming for 2-3 pounds a month is probably more realistic.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight right now and at 115 you would be within the healthy range as well but on the lower end, which is fine but I have a couple questions such as why you want to get down to 115? What is it you are unhappy with your current weight about? There is no problem is losing some more but if you feel you just want to lose fat, you might consider recomping instead. This is where you eat at maintenance and do a progressive lifting program to burn fat and build lean muscle.

To lose 20 pounds in roughly 24 weeks that is just under a pound a week and that most likely would not be advisable or really doable given your stats. Aim for .5 pounds a week, this is a more manageable rate of loss for you.
  • Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am 10 pounds away from being considered overweight by the BMI chart. So I feel I am on the border. So far I lost 3.8 lbs in 3 weeks. But it keeps going from 134 to 136. It looks like I gained a pound then it would look like I lost a pound. The back is forth is making it feel like it is taking forever, because I keep gaining.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would plan on that taking 9-12 months.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Also consider that 115 pounds is just a number on the scale.

What I mean is there will be women that look fit and slim at 125 pounds (5'4"). These women look good because they retained lean muscle mass while losing weight. The faster you lose, the harder it will be for your body to retain your current lean muscle.

Set a modest weekly goal, strength train, and get adequate protein. This is going to help "shape" the end result.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’4” at 128lbs going for 116lbs. Wanna be friends? :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am 10 pounds away from being considered overweight by the BMI chart. So I feel I am on the border. So far I lost 3.8 lbs in 3 weeks. But it keeps going from 134 to 136. It looks like I gained a pound then it would look like I lost a pound. The back is forth is making it feel like it is taking forever, because I keep gaining.

Almost 4 pounds in 3 weeks is good progress given your current weight. I wouldn't focus on the daily fluctuations, but on the long-term trend. An app like Libra (for Android) or Happy Scale (for iPhone) can help with that. You enter your daily weight and it helps you filter out the "noise" of daily changes.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    What you saw initially was most likely a drop in water weight, or an initial "whoosh" if you will, it was not all fat loss but rather a combo of fat and water. At your weight, yes it is going to be slow so you have to make sure to be accurate with your logging (ie food scale for all solids and measuring cups and spoons for all liquids). Also, weight loss is not linear and your weight will go up and down over the course of your weight loss journey, look for an overall trend vs the day to day numbers. How long has it been since you have lost? How are you measuring your calories intake?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    6 months is 24 weeks. So you'd need to lose close to 1 lb per week.

Way too aggressive at your weight. It's going to take closer to a year to hit the goal you want. Plan on .5 lb per week.
  • Icandoit233
    Options
    What you saw initially was most likely a drop in water weight, or an initial "whoosh" if you will, it was not all fat loss but rather a combo of fat and water. At your weight, yes it is going to be slow so you have to make sure to be accurate with your logging (ie food scale for all solids and measuring cups and spoons for all liquids). Also, weight loss is not linear and your weight will go up and down over the course of your weight loss journey, look for an overall trend vs the day to day numbers. How long has it been since you have lost? How are you measuring your calories intake?

Nov 27 - 138 lbs
    Dec 10 - 134.2
    (I weight in between but try to record every sunday or monday)
    This morning it said 135.4 - I didn't log it into MFP because I don't want it to go up -.- (sad I know)

I have a food scale that I use.
  • Icandoit233
    Options

Almost 4 pounds in 3 weeks is good progress given your current weight. I wouldn't focus on the daily fluctuations, but on the long-term trend. An app like Libra (for Android) or Happy Scale (for iPhone) can help with that. You enter your daily weight and it helps you filter out the "noise" of daily changes.

Thank You for the suggestions. I am def. going to download Libra!
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options

Nov 27 - 138 lbs
    Dec 10 - 134.2
    This morning it said 135.4 - I didn't log it into MFP because I don't want it to go up -.- (sad I know)

So it has only been a week, just keep using your food scale and have patience :) You will get there it may just take longer than you like, but at your weight you really don't have much to lose so it will take longer. Just know your weight will god UP AND DOWN before you hit your goal and will continue to do so after you're there. Use your food scale, log consistently, and you will see results. You can friend me if you want extra support!
  • Icandoit233
    Options

Nov 27 - 138 lbs
    Dec 10 - 134.2

So it has only been a week, just keep using your food scale and have patience :) You will get there it may just take longer than you like, but at your weight you really don't have much to lose so it will take longer. Just know your weight will god UP AND DOWN before you hit your goal and will continue to do so after you're there. Use your food scale, log consistently, and you will see results. You can friend me if you want extra support!

Others that post on here are saying around a year. Much longer than I thought. I need to work on being patient. lol Thank you for your help! I would love to friend you, but I do not know how to. It just says "send message" or "ignore" when I click on your name. If you know how to, I would gladly accept :)
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs in about 7 months and I'm not overweight- I was in the same situation as you. It just comes down to changing your eating habits- no bad snacks or meals, and some exercise.
  • livinalie
    livinalie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    have you tried intermittent fasting? ive lost roughly 20 pounds in the 6 months ive been doing it. I was struggling to lose before I started
  • Icandoit233
    Options
    livinalie wrote: »
    have you tried intermittent fasting? ive lost roughly 20 pounds in the 6 months ive been doing it. I was struggling to lose before I started

I just looked this up! There is a 5:2 intermittent fasting that seems like something I could do. Thank you for the idea! :)
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Similar stats, similar plans.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    livinalie wrote: »

I just looked this up! There is a 5:2 intermittent fasting that seems like something I could do. Thank you for the idea! :)

Intermittent fasting is just another way of limiting your calories. It is very possible to practice intermittent fasting but still end up not losing or gaining. It works for some people because it limits the "window" of time they can eat in, so they eat less calories overall. It is not magic, you do not lose weight simply because you practice intermittent fasting. If it is something that will help you stick to your deficit then by all means do it, but don't think it will magically make you lose. I know I could eat well above my maintenance calories in an 8-12 hour window.
  • mechasam
    mechasam Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My goal is to go from 135 lbs to 115 lbs (I am short 5"4') in 6 months, it seems to go really slow so far. Is this a realistic goal?

Keep in mind that weight loss isn't always a realistic goal. If you're keeping track of your macros and mixing in some cross-training/endurance/strength exercises, you'll build up muscle and essentially replace fat, getting a more toned physique and sometimes keeping the same weight. I'd recommend a healthy diet/exercise plan rather than focusing simply on calorie deprivation and "weight loss." Keeping track of your body fat % might be more realistic than just standing on a scale.