A little help on how I feel after Turbo-Kickbox?

Options
Hey guys! So, I workout regularly, but am currently about 90-100 pounds overweight. I am very athletic, and can hold my own in turbo-kickboxing and jogging, but here's my question: after turbo-kick box (it's offered at 24 Hour Fitness, and it is a combination of kick-boxing and aerobic routine- it totally kicks my *kitten* and I LOVE it!!) , I feel shaky, nauseous, flushed (of course) and it takes a good 20 minutes for my heartrate to return to normal. I try to make sure I drink lots of water and eat half a protein/energy bar a hlaf hour before workouts.

What I do understand is it is an intense non-stop aerobic 60 minute class (and there are usually 2-3 "turbos" where they specifically want you to get as close to anaerobic as possible), but what I wonder is if the pukey feeling is "normal" after a hard workout? Should it take that long to return to a normal heartrate? I know these feelings aren't *just* because I am fat and working out, because half the class is ready to collapse by the time it's over (and I am by faaaar the biggest person in the room, bleh), so...am I normal? :D I am hoping it is, because I am the type of person that has to push it and keep up with the thin girls around me to prove to them I'm not just another "fatty-" I'm a kick-*kitten* athelete, too!

Replies

• butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So, I workout regularly, but am currently about 90-100 pounds overweight. I am very athletic, and can hold my own in turbo-kickboxing and jogging, but here's my question: after turbo-kick box (it's offered at 24 Hour Fitness, and it is a combination of kick-boxing and aerobic routine- it totally kicks my *kitten* and I LOVE it!!) , I feel shaky, nauseous, flushed (of course) and it takes a good 20 minutes for my heartrate to return to normal. I try to make sure I drink lots of water and eat half a protein/energy bar a hlaf hour before workouts.

What I do understand is it is an intense non-stop aerobic 60 minute class (and there are usually 2-3 "turbos" where they specifically want you to get as close to anaerobic as possible), but what I wonder is if the pukey feeling is "normal" after a hard workout? Should it take that long to return to a normal heartrate? I know these feelings aren't *just* because I am fat and working out, because half the class is ready to collapse by the time it's over (and I am by faaaar the biggest person in the room, bleh), so...am I normal? :D I am hoping it is, because I am the type of person that has to push it and keep up with the thin girls around me to prove to them I'm not just another "fatty-" I'm a kick-*kitten* athelete, too!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    20 minutes to return to normal heart rate is a serious question and I would strongly suggest you speak with your Doctor...good luck
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'll mention that at my next physical! It doesn't feel out of control or scary...it's usually around 160 during, 130 immediately after I've stopped, and then around 100-110 for about 20 minutes after, and then it's back to normal.
  • happenstance82
    Options
    Ooh I hate the shaky, nauseated feeling. Once I took Yoga immediately after a Step Aerobics class and I felt like that(during downward dog) I thought I might pass out! And a few nights ago, at the gym, I did the eliptical, the rowing machine..followed that up with a soak in the hot tub. Big mistake! I felt that shaky/ nauseated feeling. It was horrible. I won't do that agin.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    How often do you allow yourself to rest? That sounds as though you could be overtraining.
    Perhaps try taking it down a notch in the Turbo Kick... be sure to stay hydrated during class, and immediately following. Also, try eating something immediately following the class... when working out you REALLY depleat your energy stores (glucose is the main source)... so you need to restore those stores once done. So, try eating the other 1/2 of your protein bar, or a piece of fruit (or other food... 200 calories or less, with a higher carb content) immediately following class. Dizziness and nauseousness can be coming from a major dip in glucose... of course, there are many reasons, but that's one. So, try eating something just following class.

I know how intense TK is, as I teach it... even after doing this for years it still kicks my booty!