Is maintaining suppose to feel this great?

Options
Kind of boasting here a little, I know, but gosh I worked my butt and then some to get where I am today. 5’2, 120lbs, starting weight was 171lbs so I lost 51lbs in total. Now that I’m on maintenance it feels amazing, obviously because it is such a great accomplishment, but also great because of how freeing it feels. That freeing feeling almost makes me feel like something is wrong, like I’m eating too much (even though I am still within my calorie limit). I hope that makes sense. After being in a calorie deficit for so long, I was losing about 1lb a week, now MFP put me at 1720 to maintain it is like holy cow, I can eat this much? And not gain? And still maintain? Almost makes you wonder how you gained all the weight to begin with when your calorie limit now is more than enough. Ok, I’ll stop blabbing now lol

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes it is supposed to feel that great. Because you are doing exactly what your body needs. You are feeding it but not over-feeding it.

I've never wondered how I gained weight though. I like to overeat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on meeting your goal!

Yes, your experience sounds a lot like what I felt when I began maintaining. And honestly, it never completely went away. I've been maintaining since fall of 2015 and I still feel really grateful and lucky to have found something that works so well for me.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Good job on your lost weight!
    Yes, it feels good.
    I've been on maintenance since 2011.
    When I overeat now, I don't need to log it to know I had too much -- I'm miserable for hours.
    And, to think that was formerly the norm ....
    The best part is, you can go over your calorie budget & not feel super-guilty.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It is amazing!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I cant wait till maintenance 17 more lbs to go!
  • femmaggie
    femmaggie Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    congrats on your success!
    I'm pretty excited to go on maintenance, I have 11 more pounds to go! :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If it feels great then you must be doing it right. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • Armywife04_21
    Armywife04_21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And for those whom are close to their goals, you can do it! If I did it, you guys can too!!

When being on deficit you start off struggling and feeling deprived, but then getting those extra calories after so long- it feels as though it is a luxury. The work is so worth it! Now my body craves working out, not to say I always want to get up early to do so, but I still do because of how I feel afterwards.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Good for you. That’s a huge accomplishment. It sounds like you learned some lessons on good nutrition along the way.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,833 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! 50# is a lot. Your happiness is shining through. Well done!!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Kind of boasting here a little, I know, but gosh I worked my butt and then some to get where I am today. 5’2, 120lbs, starting weight was 171lbs so I lost 51lbs in total. Now that I’m on maintenance it feels amazing, obviously because it is such a great accomplishment, but also great because of how freeing it feels. That freeing feeling almost makes me feel like something is wrong, like I’m eating too much (even though I am still within my calorie limit). I hope that makes sense. After being in a calorie deficit for so long, I was losing about 1lb a week, now MFP put me at 1720 to maintain it is like holy cow, I can eat this much? And not gain? And still maintain? Almost makes you wonder how you gained all the weight to begin with when your calorie limit now is more than enough. Ok, I’ll stop blabbing now lol

Congrats! its fabulous being at maintenance, so blab away as I agree :smiley: