New to all of this.

Options
Hi, I'm Hanna, and I have 125lbs to lose. I understand the concept of eating less calories and burning more than you consume. I don't know which diet to go with. There's so many different types of diets out there. I tried keto but I couldn't get up enough energy to exercise on that diet. I'm prediabetic and I know to stay away from simple carbs and sugars. I've tried liquid diets. I've tried just limiting my portions. I've tried diet pills. What is the best thing to do? I know everyone is different and it depends on me and my body, but where do I start?

Consistency is a big key I know. I just need to know where to start with a diet that will keep me satiated and not lethargic. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try simply counting your calories while avoiding the foods you need to for your medical needs. Follow the calorie goal that MFP gave you for a while and see how that works out. Accurately measure out your all the food you eat (preferably with a scale). Be sure to log the right food entry that matches the food you ate. Exercise isn't mandatory for weight loss (I lost without it). But, you certainly can exercise! Give yourself time to adjust. Don't try it out for a week or a month, convince yourself it isn't working and give up. One mess up isn't a failure. You just have to push yourself to commit and I know you can! : )
  • kingkowtow
    kingkowtow Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wekcome! I think for me that building some level of momentum at the begining was (and still is) key. Small wins help me to stay more disciplined no matter what happens. Not always perfect but always trying.

I found couch25K really good before I advanced to a point t of being able to and getting reasonably good at running (feel free to add me if it's something you are interested in pursuing).

Apart from the above , a clear goal, timeline and a level.of self awareness is always helpful.

Good luck on your journey!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place :smile: Counting calories and having a calorie deficit really is key to any weight loss. Plug in your stats on MFP, set your loss to 2lb a week initially. Track your calorie intake as accurately as possible using a food scale. Take it a day at a time and be patient. Just think of what you could have achieved by this time next year.

All the best :smile:
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This app is awesome. Helps you keep track of what you eat. portioning is important. and of course go with whatever diet you feel works for you, or fits your lifestyle needs. :) some people do high carb, or high protein, etc. so sometimes you just have to try different ones and see which one you like better